WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

WE Communications Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • I've heard of people complain of work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Long hours/high billing expectation (in 14 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to work, smart and fun colleagues, clients with a high bar that push and challenge you to go above and beyond your previous best, great leaders, flexible work from home policy.

Cons

Not for everyone, must be willing to go beyond the billable hour, will stretch you outside of your skillset ( a great thing for a lot of people)

"Good starting place, but don't get stuck"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my immediate team and the types of projects we were doing.

The PR teams were professional and pleasant to interact with.

Good starting point for a career, but I definitely wouldn't stay and get stuck in a rut.

Cons

My last few months at WE were absolutely demoralizing and I was treated in such a derogatory and unprofessional manner it affected my life outside of work negatively.

Generally, interaction with the actual PR account teams was pleasant and professional but there's also a clear disconnect when it comes to PR teams understanding requirements and deliverables around non-PR related projects. The result of this was minimal budget for our team on projects, so big ideas weren't always executable.

Perks and benefits are constantly being slashed. Work life balance no longer exists. Whenever there is an upper management change, expect a ton of disruption. In four years I went through about 6 different company reorganizations.

The culture outside of service teams is very sorority-like. There are occasions where people you work directly with don't acknowledge you outside of meetings. It gets old fast and you don't realize how toxic team culture can be until you've left.

In non-PR roles there really is no way to advance. You're ultimately handling the same projects, even if your title changes.

Advice to Management

Vet who you bring into leadership roles beyond a personal recommendation from a leader. That person may not always really know who they're bringing in.

Stop trying to create a culture that doesn't align with your clients' values. Not all clients are "sexy" or want to show up that way. There's a clear disconnect between what your client needs and what your teams want to deliver.

3. "WE Worldwide - the company I dreamed of"

Current Employee - PR Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - PR Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunities, Multiple big-name clients to work on, Smart and Thoughtful leadership to serve as mentors, great benefits and pay, focus on individuals rather than masses, learning opportunities are a plenty, flexible schedules

Cons

Office location on East side, very tech heavy client rolodex, no Southern California location

Advice to Management

Keep up the goodness. This company feels like one brimming with opportunities. Would love to see more diverse clients come through the door that puts us on par with the 'big guys' and keep developing bigger presence in NYC.

5. "Anonymous former employee"

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You don't appreciate how awesome the culture and tribe at WE is until you've left it. Also, the savviness in how to do storytelling is unmatched. WE does 500-level PR. You will learn from the best of the best here.

Cons

It's a large, legacy PR firm. Can be hierarchical in terms of client contact. Change comes slowly. Still holds on to "perfectionist" ways and oftentimes is own worst enemy with respect to perfect being the enemy of done.

"Care about their craft and their people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Genuinely committed to doing things right from a client and people point of view. Not afraid of transformation, very open to change. I've never heard anyone tell me no. If you have an idea you can run with it.

Cons

It's a large PR firm. Can be hierarchical in terms of client contact. Not a lot of exposure to the world outside your colleagues and clients.

"Needs help"

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun community of co-workers. While not always willing to work contribute to projects on teams, it can be easy to form a support system outside account work with in the agency.

Awesome clients -- always a draw-in.

Great for internship experience.

Cons

Would have loved to see more honesty, integrity, agility and advocacy from management to show that they value and can grow individuals strengths.

"Feedback cycles" seemed largely hypocritical and gossip focused. Would have loved to see more constructive and specific examples and suggestions.

Managers and leads don't set solid examples for lower level staff. While expectations are high, leadership is often unable to deliver professionalism in forms of internal communications and meetings.

Advice to Management

Listen carefully to the needs of junior level employees. While it's normal to have high turn over in the industry, it would be nice to see a company that could retain and grow people based on their abilities and contributions. Everyone likes a brand who cares, make WE a place where people can feel confident, inspired and hopeful about their careers and the work they do.

"Vice President"

Former Employee - WHAT I'VE DONE in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - WHAT I'VE DONE in Kirkland, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Top notch clients, strong management, opportunity to learn from and work alongside some of the best PR folks in the business.

Cons

Some clients can be very demanding and it can be a fast-paced high stress environment. Strong emphasis on media relations and less on other aspects of communications.

"Senior Leadership is Lacking"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Digital team is sculpting fantastic forms of innovation for the company.

Cons

Executive level, particularly Melissa WZ, really do not have a clue. She hasn't won business, has been the cause of massive layoffs, and is clueless when it comes to PR.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO and heavily evaluate your colleagues.

"Wonderful company driven by a visionary leader & a passionate agency focused on doing good."

Former Employee - Executive Creative Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Executive Creative Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to work with good wholehearted, intelligent, creative people the WE Agency is your home. Independent. Dynamic. 31 years strong & definitely 30+ more years ahead work hard on behalf of their clients.

Cons

WE is not terminally unique to agency politics. No different than any where else. With Kass Sells at the helm in North America & incredible leaders around the globe whatever negatives you've read are being addressed.

Advice to Management

Stay strong. Don't bend to market demands and continue to be a purpose driven business.

11. "Solid communications company with great people"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR

Pros

WE knows its craft and is a great place to start, grow and thrive in your career. You learn the trade and learn it well, attaining highly marketable and valuable attributes that you will carry forward in your career. Very flexible work schedule and work from home options along with a fantastic benefits package and generous PTO.

Cons

It is easy to lose of sight of what work/life balance looks like here - those flexible work schedules enable an "always on" condition that clients and teammates alike come to expect and see as normal.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people!