WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I've heard of people complain of work life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Long hours/high billing expectation (in 14 reviews)

1. "Solid communications company with great people"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR

Pros

WE knows its craft and is a great place to start, grow and thrive in your career. You learn the trade and learn it well, attaining highly marketable and valuable attributes that you will carry forward in your career. Very flexible work schedule and work from home options along with a fantastic benefits package and generous PTO.

Cons

It is easy to lose of sight of what work/life balance looks like here - those flexible work schedules enable an "always on" condition that clients and teammates alike come to expect and see as normal.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people!

"SAE"

Current Employee - SAE in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - SAE in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

WE has enabled me to flex my creativity in a variety of ways - from running projects to working alongside clients to helping with new business pitches - while giving me the resources to grow professionally. I always feel trusted and valued, and know there are good people to learn alongside. WE also is incredibly flexible with schedules and PTO (they give a lot!) which is valued.

Cons

It can be stressful and busy at times with heavy projects, but it's very rewarding.

"Lots of good opportunities but lots of politics"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture and opportunities to work with big clients and products. Generally smart and fun people work here. Good employer for the market.

Cons

If you aren't tabbed a favorite you'll wait a long time in between promotions. There can be lots of politics between teams.

"days of glory are behind them"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

still some good people left

Cons

it feels like a sinking ship

Advice to Management

have a better strategic plan

5. "Would reccommend to start your career in communications"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very clear training for each assignment and company genuinely cares about your well-being. Fun and fast-paced work environment where depending on which team your on you have the opportunity to work on several different assignments. Overall everyone in the office is super friendly and there to make you feel at home. Managers help you determine your likes and dislikes in order to give you tasks that most fit you.

Cons

Entry level positions frequently have open cycles and need to ask for work to do to keep busy. Occasionally must do some work on weekends (from home) but not frequently and often not for more than a few hours.

6. "It's about the journey"

Current Employee - Vice President in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What I love about WE is how much I learn - and how quickly I learn - from watching/helping leadership, account teams and clients in their decision-making, in trying new things, in giving new talent opportunities to change things up, in succeeding and in failing. I have been able to play several different roles, and learn from being on different teams here, and that has enabled me to round out my skills/resume, to get to know many people, and to really understand what it is I love to do and why. There are so many brilliant people here, and I'm grateful to work alongside them and to learn from them every day. Also very grateful for the benefits and the thoughtfulness that is put into the overall benefits package.

Cons

No company is perfect. All companies have successes and all have failures. All are light and all are dark. WE is no different. There are people here that care about each other and who stand up for each other, and there are people here who don't. Some decisions have led to success and others have not. But for me, I don't expect perfection; it's not about being right every time. It's about knowing what makes you unique and different, it's about having a point of view and it's about the career learning journey. Right now, the agency is working to reinvent its brand and show the world all of the amazing work that it does for clients. WE is moving from PR to the world of integrated, digital comms and THAT IS HARD. I'm looking forward to learning, growing, succeeding, failing, and being part of the change. Watching closely to see what happens next.

7. "Industry Innovators"

Former Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

WE focuses on strategic communications and is one of the true innovators in story telling that has become a communications norm. This is the place for people who are willing to work hard, speak up and truly make a difference to the client. The management is focused on delivering great results. Don't expect to be babied here, If you want to learn, create and grow (no matter what level you are at) - you won't find a better place.

Cons

They need an office in Australia so I can work there. They are diversifying and broadening their reach (globally and with interesting clients). Like all these things... can it be faster?

Advice to Management

Be sure to communicate 1:1 and in small groups. Don't assume all internal messages get communicated the same way. Continue to nurture and grow great people while also bringing in outside expertise.

"WE Lost Its Heart Along the Way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you're starting out in PR or even mid-level, WE offers great fundamentals, exposure to big brand clients, smart people and plenty of PTO.

Cons

Up until 2010, I said one of the best parts of WE was how much the leadership team cared about the people who worked there. I can't say that anymore. WE turned into a typical churn and burn PR shop. Politics increased and execs would regularly throw lower level team members under the bus to save themselves in front of clients. With the current group of execs, it has turned more into a Mean Girls society and either you're a golden child or you're thrown out - and this could change in an instant without any communication. So many of my peers were scapegoats and were either pushed out or they simply quit without even having another job because they couldn't take it there anymore.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees as disposable. Remove senior management that encourages cattiness. Rebuild an ethical and nurturing environment. Be accountable.

9. "Being fiercely independent matters -- and I haven't found better!"

Current Employee - Account Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at several different Market/PR/Comms agencies in my 15 years in the industry, and I have yet to experience or hear of an agency as focused on the growth of its business AND its people than WE. I've been at WE just over five years, and while no place is roses and butterflies all the time, I truly do believe that WE's leadership cares about its people--so I stay. Evidence: great benefits (I mean, who still offers sabbaticals?), untold numbers of training programs, global exchange opportunities, lots of fun parties/social activities, kick-ass (and VERY competitive) internship program, paid volunteer hours (and big focus on social good), consistent and regular raises/promotions, flexible working hours and work from home options. Super smart people come here (and stay here) -- and do super smart work for their clients. I also love that our new brand identity is bold and aggressive and edgy -- something we can and should be when we're independent and on a rising star.

Cons

Some people don't like our Bellevue location (I personally don't mind it at all -- would rather have free parking and less congestion vs downtown Seattle). Not every manager is a great manager -- but the grass is never greener at other places I've learned, that's just how every workplace works.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people -- they're your greatest asset and differentiator.

"Great place to grow career for those early in their career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

I worked at WE Communications (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging environment but with that, a place to stretch your skills and learn every day. Managers are generally solid and very good mentors for employees.

Cons

Competitive environment. Weak internal communications mechanisms to help advance those in mid- to high-level career roles.