WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

WE Communications CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin
Melissa Waggener Zorkin

"Fine"

I worked at WE Communications full-time

Pros

Exciting Clients, Never Dull, A lot of Amazing People

Cons

Senior leadership is stale, overrated and includes dishonest mean girls.

Advice to Management

Rip and replace the senior leadership

WE Communications2017-10-26

"Interesting work... that's about it"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work with high profile clients. Some very talented people in employ to learn from. As a starting point used purely to learn this is a good place to be, but growth here is paced out and not merit based.

Cons

Very very very high turnover rate, even for an agency. The company does not invest in any one employee below VP level and uses the internship program as the refill button for all they lose. The culture is not inspiring in spite of recent attempts to make it so. There is also an underlying mean girl culture here that feels very much like high school which is odd in a professional environment. Depending on the... manager you may be told work/life balance is important BUT would it be good for your career to miss this opportunity or that?

WE Communications2017-09-25

"A wonderful time until it was not anymore"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great and casual culture, top tier clients, large agency feeling disguised in a small agency body, CEO is exactly what she should be (open, progressive, accessible).

Cons

For a communications agency, it was somehow impossible to know where you stood within the company, due to poor communication. The company preaches an "over communicate via email" mantra, but when it comes to important updates or decisions, this is not true, in person.

WE Communications2017-09-04

"Depends where you are in your career"

I worked at WE Communications full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for someone fresh out of college looking to gain experience. Some of the smartest minds in the industry.

Cons

Pay, benefits, and work-life balance are lacking. Lots of micromanagement and workplace politics.

WE Communications2017-09-25
  5. "Great culture and people!"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

The people are warm and inclusive. The vibe is laid back. Great work/life balance. Smart, passionate colleagues.

Cons

I haven't found any cons yet.

WE Communications2017-08-14

"Increasingly toxic environment, company on the decline"

I worked at WE Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some good people still there, sabbatical program is a differentiator (until they take it away), good opportunity to learn how very large accounts and big budgets work.

Cons

The environment really changed over the years I was there. Was always a little competitive (most agencies are) but agency leadership seems to be leaning into it and the comments around the "mean girls" type vibe aren't much of an exaggeration. Other things to be aware of: *Opportunities to work on some of the splashier sounding accounts or any of the non-profit/CSR orgs are few and far between. *Work on the... Microsoft account is pretty dreary and the client dynamic is tough. Account teams and their clients frequently compete against each other for opportunities. It's pretty awkward. *Teams are very inconsistent about advancement so make sure you go in with a clear plan and document, document, document. *Benefits have dwindled over the years.

Advice to Management

Wake up and take a hard look at your leadership team. You've been moving the same core group of people around for years, giving them fancier and fancier titles -- but have they really delivered? Are they working together as a team? Nope. So do what needs to be done and start rewarding those that bring in real results.

WE Communications2017-05-13

WE Communications Response

June 5, 2017SVP

Thank you for your feedback about your experience at WE, and I’m disappointed that your experience was less than ideal. We sincerely value your feedback and I want you to know that we’ll be discussing it internally and consider any improvements. If you feel comfortable, I invite you to reach out and share more details with me at KateR@we-worldwide.com. -Kate

"Account Executive"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

Great work environment - from the people, to the office, to the accounts. Range of activity benefits such as volunteer opportunities and working abroad.

Cons

Pay could be a little more competitive.

WE Communications2017-05-09

WE Communications Response

June 5, 2017SVP

I’m thrilled that you are having a good experience at WE. Volunteer opportunities and working abroad are a couple of my favorite benefits of working here too. As you might have heard, we even have a program that combines the two, the Global Probono Experience. Check out our latest podcast about this program at the link: https://www.we-worldwide.com/blog/posts/the-we-podcast-episode-3. -Kate

"Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Only hire women in Finance so these male Senior Management Team can abuse them.

Cons

One of the worst management team I have experienced.

WE Communications2017-05-11

"Spin city, terrible managers, really bad experience."

I worked at WE Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Offices are nice, some good people.

Cons

Bad management, "mean girls" culture, promotion of people into non-PR specialist senior roles who have no relevant experience, just because they're good at PR. So much time spinning each other, nobody knows what's real.

Advice to Management

Hire for expertise. Don't let people get ahead through their ability to BS the leadership team.

WE Communications2017-05-03

"Impressively dysfunctional"

I worked at WE Communications full-time

Pros

They had a great coffee machine. I've talked with ex-coworkers, and they basically either suffer there till they've built up enough experience to jump into a higher position elsewhere, or they truly get absorbed/fit into the culture and fake it till they make it.

Cons

Drink the kool-aid to survive. It was utterly bizarre working with communication professionals, yet most people there are incapable of communicating honestly or directly with each other, which made it almost impossible to work. Understanding this "WE culture" is crucial to getting by there. An incredibly poisonous internal culture that is aggressively cultivated.

WE Communications2017-04-26