WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

WE Communications Reviews

Updated April 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • I've heard of people complain of work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Long hours/high billing expectation (in 14 reviews)

"SAE"

Former Employee - SAE in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - SAE in Bellevue, WA

Pros

smart colleagues, training opportunities, high-profile clients

Cons

poor pay, office politics, long hours, not much room for advancement

Advice to Management

There is a hierarchy within the organization that is very comfortable with the status quo. To keep smart, hard-working people at the lower rungs, some of those old-school senior people have to go.

2. "Great Potential"

Former Employee - Senior Content Strategist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Content Strategist in Seattle, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Waggener Edstrom provides a great opportunity to work alongside some very talented individuals on projects that are world class, both in their scale and in quality of the work.

Cons

Unfortunately, the dominance of one or two clients has created a scope of work that has, over time, become more and more limited.

Advice to Management

Redouble your efforts to expand the client base.

"Horrible management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic intern program, looks great on resume, work on high profile client, nice benefits, great PTO

Cons

Middle management (AM&AD) are horrible. The culture truly is a shark tank style. While they endorse mentorship, your manager does not mentor or cultivate you. I have seen many great PR professionals fall through the crack because middle management won't take time to cultivate new employees.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to care and actually do something. Your "grunts" are feeling the pressure. While some stay through the storm, many will leave at this rate.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The on-boarding process was very well organized and communicated allowing for a great start. There mentor/mentee program provides for great opportunity to learn how to navigate the culture and connect with executive level team members.

Cons

The work/life balance is missing. Team members are looked down upon by executives for taking lunch time for working out/running/etc. There are too many roles being managed by team members who work in external offices and do not have time to check-in, provide advice, etc. The main focus is on one client and if you do not happen to work for that client your role is expendable.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunity for cross-communication and collaboration between teams working with separate clients. Conduct HR meetings with teams to get a census of how they are being managed, if they have enough support and how are they feeling about their own work/life balance.

"Love my job"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked here for 3+ years, and I honestly don't have plans to look elsewhere anytime soon. The benefits are great, and the company truly believes in investing in its employees through training courses, etc. Oh yeah, and the people are great too! Very friendly atmosphere.

Cons

It's still a service industry, so occasionally you will have to work for difficult clients but Waggener Edstrom provides great support. There are other cons that I'm struggling to think of right now, but nothing outside those of any other job.

7. "Time of change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There aren't better - tougher - training grounds. There are other smart, strategic comms agencies but none that beat WE. Good, interesting people work here - so good and interesting, it's hard to leave.

Cons

The company is amidst change. It's trying to figure out what it is and how it's different in a sea of agencies. It's struggling to address the financial burden of being competitive - seeking new biz, paying competitive rates - without going public. It's addressing these things. But this change sits atop a rocky foundation. One that's made of long-time executives who've shaped the company culture away from what Pam and Melissa envisioned into one that is, at it's worst, passive, passive aggressive, cut throat and inefficient.

Advice to Management

Clean up shop. Especially when and where it's uncomfortable, clean.

8. "Current Employee at Waggener Edstrom"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

Waggener Edstrom (WE) is a fast-paced, collaborative environment. While the client list is predominately founded in the tech industry, namely Microsoft, there are opportunities to pursue other broader consumer interests. WE employees are super sharp, knowledgeable, hard working, but also fun and emphasize work-life balance. The office takes time to recognize Seattle's Super Bowl run, holidays, volunteering opportunities and working from alternate offices. While work can get busy, managers are very good about providing flexibility during the slower times, including start/end times and working from home. Personally, I love working at a global firm due to the different perspectives and international opportunities and travel that exist. I also really admire the senior staffers. I think an important part of planning for a career at a company is being able to relate to your managers and executives. At WE, I respect and am inspired by those I work with. It's also pretty neat to work at a firm with so many women in leadership positions.

Cons

The technology industry is a large part of client work, so keep that in mind when applying. However, there are some more consumer focused clients. In general, teams are somewhat independent of one another, so there isn't always a lot of crossover on account work.

Advice to Management

Once you are on a team, it's sometimes a bit involved to move laterally in the company. I'd advise management to emphasize that employees start planning and working with managers early if a team change is of interest.

"Great team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Andrews, Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Andrews, Charleston, SC

I have been working at WE Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, very friendly office. Lots of emphasis placed on building strong relationships.

Cons

Small office (which could be a pro depending on what you are looking for)

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing people, great benefits and the opportunity to work with top brands!

Cons

The office is way off the beaten path and is too large of space for the amount of people in Oregon.

"Mean Girls"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

office is really nice lots of windows

Cons

People here are mean and fake to each other, I couldn't wait for my contract to end so I could leave.Most of the people that work here are fake spoiled snobs.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to be cool and just get some work done instead of dumping it on who ever is below you.