WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I've heard of people complain of work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Long hours/high billing expectation (in 14 reviews)

1. "Analyst"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

very good benefits package and salary options

Cons

lack of diversity in corporate structure

"Assistant Account Executive"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work to do, high profile clients, top tier media relations, strong female empowerment culture

Cons

Overtly bureaucratic, weak middle management, too dependant upon Microsoft for earning correlating to high turnover for entry employees in times of restructuring or poor performance, poor work life balance due to an overburdened team

"Account team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at WE Communications (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some super-ambitious people who bring great ideas and passion to the practice. More opportunity to work with top influencers, build relationships. Variety in the type of work one can do, if one is interested in moving around.

Cons

Couple things. Those who really want to excel and grow should choose their team wisely. Options are limited outside of a few core accounts and there is an unspoken reality that to advance, you need to spend a sizeable amount of time in Seattle. As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a sorority culture and not a lot of diversity. The Portland office is a dead zone. Long rows of empty cubes, generally low energy, it's tough. On the upside, new leadership is making progress in creating a vision, which has helped bring a sense that someone is actually leading the company.

Advice to Management

Something needs to happen to the poor Portland office. It's a soul-sucking carcass. There should be more transparency about opportunities outside of a few core accounts where clients, business are invested in stellar PR and doing it well. Finally, more diversity. This is one of the most homogeneous places you can work - really counter as a culture for out of the box thinking.

"Laid off in 2013"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home on Fridays; people who work there are pretty smart; bucolic views of large Douglas Fir trees during a brief moment you walk by the Windows; a golden Moroni gazing upon you from the next door Mormon temple

Cons

Terrible open office environment; top heavy organization where politics trumps results; obsession with employees sending 'think mails' to show the agency how smart you are instead of doing real work; a management team haunted by the ghosts of The go-go 90s Microsoft; inability to create a functioning new business department or involve people who only work on the Microsoft account.

Advice to Management

I brought in $60k revenue via a new Microsoft client and got laid off a few months later. That is peanuts to you but no wonder you had to eliminate a floor at 3CP--your priorities are all messed up. Forget the politics and figure out how to run an agency that doesn't entirely revolve around Microsoft.

"Not recommended unless you are very thick skinned."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, the people are great. I made some lifelong friendships while at WE. The PTO benefit is one that keeps people there. I was pushed to be better at my job like no other place I've worked, and I benefited from that.

Cons

Very much a sorority. One day you are the best of the best, and the next you are getting fired. I spoke up about something I wasn't happy with, and they decided it was time for me to leave. For account staff, there is no work life balance because the senior leadership works 24/7. Junior staffers believe they have to emulate this behavior, or they will be fired. During my time, I saw people fired for "just doing their job". I was with WE for 5 years, and wondered every day if I was going to get fired. Very toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and their concerns, without the threat of termination (they like to call it separation). Look at what your competitors (not clients) are doing to insure employee retention, and follow the industry example.

"VP+"

Former Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong PR pros, good benefits, flexible hours/WFH

Cons

There is an aggressive internal program in place to increase the scores on Glassdoor. What does that tell you? CEO is insulated from the employees and either doesn't want to know what's really going on or puts her head in the sand. Mean girls culture - one day you're in, the next you're out. Great PR pros are leaving because of the toxic culture there. The leadership needs to change in order to stop the bleeding.

Advice to Management

Go on an employee listening tour, and don't punish employees for telling the truth.

"Good place to grow your career and learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits especially related to time off, talented co-workers, exciting clients. You are working with and learning from some of the best in the business and management generally recognizes hard work.

Cons

Work life balance not always promoted on certain teams. Inconsistent promotion practices- certain teams receive favoritism. Compensation not the best although it is relatively competitive with other similarly sized agencies.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive to not lose talent. Better identify "burn-out" accounts and clients and protect your people. Don't skimp on employee moral boosting activities, employee engagement events. Plenty of money wasted elsewhere that should be cut. Move downtown.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to work, smart and fun colleagues, clients with a high bar that push and challenge you to go above and beyond your previous best, great leaders, flexible work from home policy.

Cons

Not for everyone, must be willing to go beyond the billable hour, will stretch you outside of your skillset ( a great thing for a lot of people)

"Good starting place, but don't get stuck"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my immediate team and the types of projects we were doing.

The PR teams were professional and pleasant to interact with.

Good starting point for a career, but I definitely wouldn't stay and get stuck in a rut.

Cons

My last few months at WE were absolutely demoralizing and I was treated in such a derogatory and unprofessional manner it affected my life outside of work negatively.

Generally, interaction with the actual PR account teams was pleasant and professional but there's also a clear disconnect when it comes to PR teams understanding requirements and deliverables around non-PR related projects. The result of this was minimal budget for our team on projects, so big ideas weren't always executable.

Perks and benefits are constantly being slashed. Work life balance no longer exists. Whenever there is an upper management change, expect a ton of disruption. In four years I went through about 6 different company reorganizations.

The culture outside of service teams is very sorority-like. There are occasions where people you work directly with don't acknowledge you outside of meetings. It gets old fast and you don't realize how toxic team culture can be until you've left.

In non-PR roles there really is no way to advance. You're ultimately handling the same projects, even if your title changes.

Advice to Management

Vet who you bring into leadership roles beyond a personal recommendation from a leader. That person may not always really know who they're bringing in.

Stop trying to create a culture that doesn't align with your clients' values. Not all clients are "sexy" or want to show up that way. There's a clear disconnect between what your client needs and what your teams want to deliver.

"A bit too clicky"

Pros

Great benefits, especially Sabbatical (if you survive that long)
    Flexible work schedule

Cons

Sorority atmosphere
    Inconsistent with promotions--you are either a chosen one or a commodity
    Office location