WEC Energy Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
WEC Energy Group President and Ceo Allen L. Leverett
Allen L. Leverett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Operations Specialist Gas Operations"

I have been working at WEC Energy Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

nothing negative to say about them

2. "Customer relations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at WEC Energy Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the benefits are really goof

Cons

the leadership is really bad

Advice to Management

leadership is horrible and its getting progressively worse. A known racist and homophobe ousted from the water department was just hired

3. "Merger Mayem"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at WEC Energy Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers have all been with the company since before the merger so minimal impact so far.

Cons

Management is beholden to the new overlords.

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing

4. "Pretty solid as my first career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at WEC Energy Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are kind; the work can be rigorous; the office space is nice/modern. I would say that sums up the positives upon first glance.

A Deeper Look:

The work environment equips new career professionals with the tools and pedigree needed to help realize their long term career aspirations. It is a Fortune 500 company; it got there using tried and true business standards/techniques. As a new professional, familiarizing myself with those standards made my future endeavors much easier to calculate--to imagine.

They allow individuals who are creative, aspirational and entrepreneurial to take on stretch projects and try new things. The catch, however, is that you must seize those opportunities when you see them.

Cons

Career mobility is sometimes constrained within certain departments. This forces individuals to look to other departments for new opportunities to advance their careers. This can be disheartening to some. In a company so large, it takes real effort, a record of strong work performance, and maybe sometimes just knowing the right person to get ahead. Otherwise, one can really fall into a rut-- easily finding themselves working in the same position for 6-10+ yrs.

Another negative (and this could just be my personal perception of things) is the limited amount of salaried positions within the company. Many jobs are part-time, thus leaving individuals with families and responsibilities of their own to work egregious amounts of overtime. This might not be as much of a concern for the new career professional though.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook the college grads and the individuals working to further their education that are currently working part-time. Often times these young and middle-aged professionals are disheartened by the lack of recognition and direction offered by management. These individuals are creative, hard-working and motivated young men and women. If you can't see the value in their education, their work ethic, their spirit, you waste a resource competitors and smaller companies would fight hard for.

"Very Important: Stay away & don’t waste your time!"

Current Employee - Senior Management in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at WEC Energy Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A paycheck
    I have to type more for the minimum 20 characters in this field
    Lots of disappointment
    You will learn what you don’t like

Cons

No work life balance or any concern about improving.
    No communication other than staged Q&A.
    Little training. Training that is provided is not provided well or in a useful manner.
    Many systems not useful/functional
    Many managers running scared and will not stand up for what is right, decent, morally correct.
    Policies constantly created without any input from senior managers, plants, those affected, those enforcing.
    Executives proud of having no integrity or morality and laugh about it. This has severe implications to rate payers, tax payers, employees, and the environment.
    Executive hypocrisy is incredible.
    WEC mismanaged acquisition of Integrys
    Flavor of day programs that disappear
    Micro Micro Micro Micro management

Advice to Management

STOP THE MICROMANAGEMENT from three managers at same time. There is race to see who has information first so they can look better. WEC has created a recipe for total absolute disaster. All the executives must go, the culture is warped/wrong.

6. "Childish Atmosphere"

I have been working at WEC Energy Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Downtown location, PTO is decent, some co workers are friendly. Union job, although the dues we pay are too high.

Cons

I work in customer service, there is too much much verbiage you have to read to the customer. Quality Assurance is a joke, how old are we? Why must we be chastised if we miss one word from the O.L.E?? Team Leaders are all messy! You hear them talking about other consultants, they engage in office gossip and a couple of them conduct their side jobs at work! But WE can't be on our cellphones. Lead by example.

Advice to Management

Cut down on the verbiage to the customers train the leads to lead and NOT gossip, show favoritism and be professional. Increase the pay a little? Incentives? Not just overtime..No christmas party? No bonus? I guess we are just there to do a job and get a check...Got It!

"Decent"

Pros

Friendly people to work with but that's it.

Cons

Bad management. They tend to not look out of the people on the bottom.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WEC Energy Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. That’s really the only thing that is great about this company. Nothing else is positive to say here.

Cons

Benefits, management, time policy, systems.

This company really needs a makeover. Peoples gas is the biggest scam in the city of Chicago. All successful companies treat their employees with respect and dignity, not here though. There are a lot of things that are done on a daily bases that violate rules but no one cares. Customer service is horrible and management won’t work on improving it. Systems are badly designed and people in charge have no clue. Innovation and raising of issues is non existent. Ideas are shot down and most people continue the old way of working. Construction and O&M collaboration is non existent and it’s causing the Chicago rate payers a lot of money. I cant wait to bring this scam out when I am out of this company.

Advice to Management

Really need to learn how to be great leaders.

"Manager"

I worked at WEC Energy Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Their compensation package was decent with market rates

Cons

They lead by fear. Each of their documents start out that you are an at will employee, and can be terminated at any time. Every policy document reminds you multiple times, that this can lead to termination, and they continuously pound that in your head. There is no room for innovation. It is the We Energies way or the highway. They are accountants, that care about the shareholder, and do whatever it takes to satisfy wallstreet. Employees don't exist. Customers don't exist. They throw a carrot every year by paying good, but that is it. The only motivation they have is money. They could careless about any other leadership and truly caring for the employee or customer. Stay clear..There are way better companies to work for.

Advice to Management

Go back to leadership school!

10. "Senior Programmer/Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at WEC Energy Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good stable company, leader in the midwest

Cons

No job promotion opportunities, wasn't crazy about senior leaders