Cover image for WHSmith

WHSmith

Engaged Employer

WHSmith

Add a Review

WHSmith Employee Reviews about "staff discount"

Updated Oct 1, 2023

Found 49 of over 2K reviews

3.2
WHSmith CEO Carl Cowling
Carl Cowling

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your exclusive Company Bowl on Community. Join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay for working in an M&S cafe owned by WH Smith (£7.66/hour).(in 223 reviews)
  • "Bad management and bad working Co ditions(in 159 reviews)
  • "Minimum wage and a lot of understaffing; so people are often expected to work alone for long periods of time.(in 61 reviews)
  • "Long shifts Understaffed Non existant training No way up underapreciated for the amount of work done.(in 51 reviews)

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of WHSmith and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "staff discount"

Return to all Reviews
      Oxford, England
      Recommend
      CEO Approval
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance and very flexible with shift patterns - often regular work schedules that fit around employees' needs. Great training, and great people to work with. Great products to work with and staff have all the resources needed to do a good job in their role.

Cons

Due to the hierarchy and coporate structure, upwards feedback was near impossible. Management were used as implementors rather than creators. And some of the marketing and promotions that were sent down from H/O often made the store look more like a jumble sale. WHSmith also seem very slow on the uptake of new technology to forward their range and stores often seem stuck in a time warp. Staff discount also dropped in value over my working time at WHSmith and their required standards of customer service seemed minimumal.

1. 4.0
        Dec 21, 2016
        Sales Assistant
        Former Employee
        London, England
        Recommend
        CEO Approval
        Business Outlook

Pros

Working here helped me develop a range of skills and also built my confidence. I was able to work on my own initiative and make decisions. There was also plenty of overtime available.

Cons

The wage was relatively low compared to other retailers and staff discount was not very good either. The nature of the role was very repetitive so things did get a bit boring after a while and it became really unchallenging. However, it was really good as a first job as I was able to develop so many skills. There was not much scope for progression. They would rather recruit new staff to fill supervisory positions than look within their existing work force.

2. Join the WHSmith team

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

193.4K

Florida State University

Is it difficult to get a job in the US?

0 Comments

Supervisor

Customer administration bison pay

0 Comments

Marketing Manager

I had a 2nd round interview with the hiring manager and want to send them a post interview thank you note, but I was not given their email address. What’s the best non-invasive way to go about this? Reach out to recruiter? LinkedIn?

2 Comments

Glassdoor has 1,918 WHSmith reviews submitted anonymously by WHSmith employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if WHSmith is right for you.