KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

WIT Software

Is this your company?

WIT Software

Add a Review

WIT Software Employee Reviews about "coimbra"

Updated Nov 21, 2019

Found 6 of over 93 reviews

4.1
WIT Software CEO Luís Moura e Silva (no image)
Luís Moura e Silva
Pros
  • "The company seems to be aware that team-building activities are an important thing(in 6 reviews)

• "Coimbra, Leiria, Porto and Aveiro(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "In some projects there was a lot of extra working hours and it was the expected(in 7 reviews)

• "In some teams there are excellent project management and organized work and others there is no processes at all(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Tech

Reviews about "coimbra"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Friendly Environment and mature relation between workers.

Nov 21, 2019 - Software Engineer in Porto, Oporto
      Business Outlook

Pros

WIT Software develops software products for different areas. From communication applications (WIT RCS suit) to Video on-demand and IPTV solutions, WIT Software as established itself as a leading company with a solid applications portfolio and a stable business revenue. Their clients go from Vodafone, to NTT DoCoMO in Japan and major US communication operators like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. WIT Software has 4 development sites, each one in a different Portuguese city. Coimbra, Leiria, Porto and Aveiro. Coimbra is their main and biggest site, harbouring over 150 employers. The development environment is very friendly. There's no people screaming and insulting. People respect others opinions, even when not followed. This is a good company to start a career.

Cons

Like I previously said, this is a good company to start a career, but don't stick around too much. 1 to 2 years is good enough to understand how software development is done in Portugal. But keep looking for better opportunities. Stagnation is strong in this company. At WIT Software, overtime is not an exception but a certainty. The necessity to provide constant extra hours derives from the fact that their software development policies are completely stagnated. In a world of Agile methodologies such as Scrum, WIT Software chooses to implement their own methodologies and ignore the fact that the world keeps improving the software development methodologies. Regressions are a constant with no methodology in place to prevent them. From Continuous Integration to Continuous Testing, WIT Software chooses to use None. Technical debt is high in this company and team-leaders have an impossible task to handle, which is to provide constant releases while keeping a low number of regressions due to the absence of a automated continuous testing environment. Testing is done by a team of software testers, which manually test the applications everyday. Depending on which project you join, the development environment can be good or bad. In most projects, there's little or no documentation done for what is implemented, leaving the developer with a lot of spaghetti code to navigate in order to fix bugs or add new features. Design patterns are nonexistent in most cases and declared as non-important.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Think twice about applying to this company

Sep 9, 2014 - Software Engineer in Coimbra, Coimbra
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to be near your old colleagues of University of Coimbra.

Cons

This is the worst place to work in IT in Coimbra. You will be treated like a slave and your superiors will only complain about your performance. This happens to almost every single software engineer in this company. Everyone seems very unhappy and unsatisfied about their job. There's no social component involved between teams and superiors. You will be just a mere resource for getting things done for a low budget. You will never get honored for your hard work, you will only get complains and fights with your superiors. Don't expect to labor only 40 hours a week or to rest on weekends. Another cons about this company is that they try to copy major IT companies in terms of entertainment spaces to express to the outside how good and relaxed are the conditions offered. Well, that's only to show off. In fact you will barely benefit from anything there most of the time. The mood is heavy and everyone is very frustrated like I never saw in a company before. You will work with people completely unsocial, closed in their own space, that don't even know that you exist.

11 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It's Getting Better All The Time

Aug 10, 2014 - Software Engineer in Coimbra, Coimbra
      Business Outlook

Pros

One important preface: I've been at WIT Software for almost 3 years and the current WIT is very different from the WIT I first started working in. Reviews with over 1 year should be for the most part disregarded; they are outdated and don't reflect WIT's current reality at all. It's true the company went through some growing pains a few years ago, but they're mostly gone now due to a variety of factors including newfound industry recognition, the diligence of the management and support services in trying to build the best company they can, and continuous investment in collaborator happiness. Now that this is out of the way, I’ll start my review. Although WIT Software is mostly known as a telecommunications software provider, it is also involved in other business areas including mobile banking and TV. For this reason the projects vary greatly in team size, methodology, technology and challenge level, and is almost always possible to find something that matches your expertise and personal preferences. Among WIT’s clients are some of the world’s largest telecommunications operators. Working in projects for those clients can be quite satisfying as the software you develop has the potential of being used by thousands of their subscribers. Knowing your code is in the hands of thousands of people is one of the most rewarding feelings for a software developer. This feeling is fairly common at WIT. Some reviews state that WIT Software uses dated technologies and avoids using more modern ones. This couldn't be further from the truth and a quick glance at the official website proves that WIT works substantially with bleeding edge technologies (WebRTC, for example) and other modern tools. I’ve never noticed any bias against modern technologies and my colleagues usually have an open mind and try to pick the best tool for the job. Project managers listen and let you adopt new technologies if the presented arguments are strong enough. Just like in any other organisation, sometimes problems arise and you don’t feel happy or fulfilled performing your work. Fortunately WIT has a very capable, friendly and approachable HR department that will help you find a solution for your professional woes; you just have to approach them and explain the situation. If you’re not satisfied with your current project, they’ll help you find another. The company is very flexible in this regard. It might not happen right away, but it will happen as soon as possible. I’ve seen colleagues undergo this process and becoming happier for it. The company's greatest strength is undoubtedly its culture and values. It's a very informal workplace where most people are skilled, friendly and willing to help. Everyone is approachable, even the CEO. Although it has become a relatively large company, it feels like a much smaller one due to this. People ride scooters around the offices, laughter echoes through the corridors during lunch time, people get together outside the workplace, etc. The overall atmosphere is great and sometimes it doesn't feel like work at all. This spirit is ever present in the several events WIT Software organizes throughout the year. There's a company championship with multiple competitions like beach football and kart racing. WIT also organizes family-focused events including a "bring your child to work" day. If you're musically inclined you can even join WIT's band and perform for the rest of the company. These events are organised internally with much care and are always great fun! The company also has a very strong sense of social responsibility. It organizes blood donations twice a year and works with local and international volunteer associations to help the impoverished. Helping our community matters; I can't stress enough how motivating and important this is. During my first year in the company training was non-existent, but that is no longer the case. Right now we receive training provided by both external and internal teachers in a relatively wide array of technical subjects. After completing the training participants are asked to provide feedback that ends up being applied and improves the following sessions. The company's offices are all top-notch and the new headquarters in Coimbra are particularly excellent. They model the Silicon Valley style offices with thematic rooms, ample work spaces, a beautiful terrace to enjoy the sun, and a colourful chill-out space with puffs, a billiard table, a DJ table and a console with FIFA. It doesn't get much better than this in Portugal. The salary and benefits are competitive. Every reviewer here seems to agree at least on this point. The best part? The company keeps getting better over time. Management cares and asks for your feedback. Most people are making a conscious effort towards making WIT Software the best company possible to work in. Sometimes there are missteps, but it is undoubtedly a much better company now than ever before.

Cons

WIT Software is a great place to work in, but, nevertheless, is not without its faults. The company recently adopted the motto “creating a new mobile lifestyle,” but I have yet to see a project that truly gives that motto justice. Although many of WIT Software’s projects offer interesting challenges from a technical standpoint, very few of them are actually new and innovative from a user standpoint. Most are actually very derivative. This can be very disappointing for the most idealistic developers that wish to change the world with their code. If that’s your case, you won’t find what you’re looking for here (at least for now). The fact that everyone at WIT Software is overworked and you’re only valued if you work overtime is complete fabrication. However, some projects have tight deadlines and sometimes the teams need to put a few extra hours. Although this doesn’t happen to every team and is becoming increasingly rare, it still happens every now and then. Finally, it often feels like some managers don’t give performance review the importance and attention it deserves. I’ve never received a performance review by the time I was supposed to and when I finally received it it was too concise and didn’t provide enough useful information that I could act upon.

11 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

An incredible place to work

Oct 12, 2015 - Software Engineer in Coimbra, Coimbra
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'm working at WIT Software for almost 4 years and both the company and my evolution throught these years has been amazing. I started working in the older HQ where there was so little space that we needed to take turns to eat at lunch, we needed to park our cars in the middle of a high traffic road because there was no space available to park the car on a safest place, there were no space to take a break without disturbing our colleagues, and so on. However, despite all of this problems, it was enjoyable to work in this company. The kind of startup spirit, the people, the challenges, my evolution as profissional, the ambition to become better, the CEO speeches always very ambitious too, were factors that overcome all the problems that I listed before, and my job was getting better day after day. In 2014 we moved to new HQ with great quality, it was a great difference from the older HQ with a lot of space and with great conditions to enjoy a working day, with a chill out zone and a big zone to have lunch. WIT offers some good perks, gives you and your family an health insurance and a SIM Card with free calls, free SMSs and free internet. There are plenty of team building activities, there is a WIT Championship were different teams of colleagues play different kind o sports (Futsal, Volleyball, Poker, Karts, etc etc) during different days through the all year, there are also some events on Fridays inside de company, in the last one we had free Waffles with Nutella. :D We created a cycling team, and WIT Sponsored our equipment, now we have the WIT Cycling team, opened to all WIT collaborators. Last year all company went to Sierra Nevada, it was awesome. Honestly I think that WIT is the best company to work in the center region of the Country, I seriously doubt that there’s another company with an average salary approximately of WIT’s in relation with the living cost of Coimbra. I think that is a matter of time to WIT become the top 5 of best companies to work in Portugal. I work in a very balanced team, with plenty of experience but with some young and willing to improve people. People that like challenges and like to have responsibility to work in a great project with some of the biggest companies in the world. I think that’s the best environment to have a good and stable evolution as a professional.

Cons

Some projects are starting to improve its own team processes, but there is a lot of work to do to improve that aspect. Honestly I do not remember any major cons to share here.

7 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not exactly a dream

Aug 1, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Coimbra, Coimbra
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very nice pay, new facilities, some effort (but not enough) to make the company modern and forward thinking, some market recognition... WIT is a good place to start or stay if you wish to keep living in Leiria, Coimbra or Porto. Payment is very decent compared to the cost of living in those cities. Good for straight out of college people who wish to start a family right away... If you're a girl, looks will help you! So dress nice and be nice!

Cons

WIT is mostly run by people straight out of Academia. It had a ver sketchy start with on of the least loved professors in UC ousting out his fellow partners and business associates out of WIT's management — this comes to show, that any opposing view to the current CEO is not only unwelcome but makes you a target. If you check the resumes for most of the administrative team, you'll find that they lack the professional and academic background to develop the tasks at hand, Most people will then notice how this is a ship ran by amateurs following the voice of their leader. HR, Marketing, Procurement and Logistics are just a few examples of amateurism. Some project leaders are very good while other pack the skills to even manage animals, let alone people. Some of them are personal friends to the CEO, so keep your views to yourself. Overtime is expected to make you a good employee. Deadlines and work loads are ridiculous. They have a big impact on bonuses. Training is non-existent and remedial. "Isenção de horário" is standard practise in the company, but screen as an excuse to make you do overtime for little payment. If by any means they cut you off this timetable, you should start looking for a new job because they will not renovate your contract. It is also standard practise to put people in situations where they would rather fire themselves than finish the contract. Be cool, finish your contract and, if you're then let go and do not find another job, you'll still keep your benefits from unemployment.

17 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee

A lot of room for improvement IF the managers allowed it

Jan 31, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Coimbra office is good even though it's location is bad : around 10KM away from Coimbra city with poor public transportation. - Projects include both WIT's own products and also services for major TELCO companies with worldwide deployments. - Met some technically great people here.. Even though most of them went away after a while. - One specific Project Manager is really good. If you are lucky to have the chance to work with him. - Good to start and get a grip on software development. But be ready to stall after a year or so. - Free fruit and coffee - Yearly snow trip

Cons

- No career progression. - Quality is a motto but, in practice, this company is miles away from today's practices. - Unfair and non homogeneous salaries which are decided through some black magical criteria that will never be clear for the employee. Most of the time, people who review salaries aren't the right people to review the employee's performance. - Too much BS being said by the upper management. - Transparency is non existent. You'll know nothing about anything. - When trying to improve something, you'll be under passive-aggressive arguments such as : the current process doesn't let us do that, the CTO disapproves that, yada yada yada. - It's preferred to swap an unmotivated but good senior engineer for two juniors straight out of college . That reflects in the internal software quality (I've seen some really scary code and architecture [ or lack of it ? ]) - Hardware is limited, it's common to see employee's using their own personal devices and sharing them because the company's devices pool is lacking. - Most of the upper management people aren't skilled enough. Both on the technical side and human side. - Clients are handled too passively by the managers. The client wants, the client gets. Even if we have to burn a whole team of devs on the WIT side. - Bonuses are only awarded to developers who work 10h+ hours per day and commit code after 2am . Other than that, it's not really known how bonuses are awarded. - People go from being considered the BEST to the very WORST in a matter of days. And back again. And to the worst again. Lather ,rinse, repeat until the employee is all sucked out. - Training is non-existent for anyone above a Junior position.

23 people found this review helpful