WJ Weiser & Associates Reviews

Updated Aug 21, 2019

2.3
WJ Weiser & Associates CEO Alex DeBarr (no image)
Alex DeBarr
  1. "Great Work Environment and Opportunity for Advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at WJ Weiser & Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been an employee for 10 years and love the work and team environment. The company is growing and there are many opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

You need to have the ability to multi-task.

"Stay Far Away"

I worked at WJ Weiser & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Cafeteria on the 1st floor. And the security guards are nice. Free parking.

Cons

Every other aspect of this job is terrible. All of the positive reviews were put on here because someone in charge threatened them if they didn't try to skew the overall rating.

"Horrible Company..."

I worked at WJ Weiser & Associates

Pros

Pro— your team members because they know how bad the environment is and we stuck together.

Cons

Horrible management...The meeting services department has the highest turnover in the company. Meeting planners never last past 1 year. They are overworked, overwhelmed and they spend majority of their time looking for other employment and regretting they accepted a position. The two Executive Directors that oversees this department will have you leaving work crying, and Forget about complaining to HR, just stay away.

4. "Great opportunity"

I have been working at WJ Weiser & Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For younger professionals- if you work hard, there are many opportunities to expand your skill set. You gain exposure to many different fields and disciplines, which allow you to grow as a professional.

Cons

Can be too fast paced for some people.

"Invest in employees"

I worked at WJ Weiser & Associates

Pros

This is a good place to get experience in medical associations. You will get to learn quickly the roles and the behind the scenes of how associations work.

Cons

This company needs to invest more in their employees and show they care about and trust them. They claim to be a leader in technology yet they have old computers, old software, old desks, old printers, and an old way of thinking. They need to learn to trust their employees and reward for good work. It is hard to continue to do your job as the turnover is very hard so people are always working many different roles. It is hard to say what came first the lack of investing in employees so they leave or not investing in employees because they always leave. Finally, be wary of a company that is more concerned about how much time you spend in your seat than the actual work you do. Management has an old view of work ethic that needs to be rethought.

Continue reading

"Horrid Management and Ethics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at WJ Weiser & Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Jimmy Johns would bring in free samples

Cons

Everything imaginable. Revolving door, bad management, horrible communication, cattiness and backstabbing from all employees female and male, and work upon work just piled on you from other employees that quit or get fired.

Continue reading

"Nothing will ever change"

I have been working at WJ Weiser & Associates for more than a year

Pros

Met some nice people and gained association experience

Cons

There is no work/life balance and zero benefits for the all the work that gets put in. The directors are notorious for constantly working and never want to listen to anyone's opinion if it means changing anything. They're creatures of habit and regardless if there's a better way to perfect a process or project, recommendations mean nothing to them. If it's not their idea, they don't want to hear it. Directors are looking for a scapegoat and never take accountability for anything. Some in particular are very rude and condescending, making it very difficult to work with them. The communication also lacks making it difficult to complete your job adequately. The company works in silos and doesn’t seem to think so. It's very hard to get any resources to better your job, and if requested there is push back (i.e. a dedicated laptop or binder organizer). Website reads latest technology, but the entire office has different versions of Microsoft and other programs and are very dated. Having the right resources would better the time of employees and could efficiently get projects done. There's no flexibility with work schedules, doctor appointments or working from home. They’re sticklers for watching when employees come and go. ZERO trust what so ever. Previous employees have abused this making it nearly impossible for the executives to trust new/current employees. The gossip mill is overwhelming and information spreads very quickly. Employees are over worked and given zero gratitude or praise making the company a revolving door. The company is stuck in their ways and will never change.

June 30, 2017Vice-President, Human Resources & Employee Development

Thank you for your comments, as perspectives like this help us to continually improve our company. We regret to hear how you feel about working at WJ Weiser. Work/life balance for our employees is important to us and we do what we can to accommodate employee requests. When people have to travel or work late to meet deadlines, we try to be fair with them. It is important to remember that WJ Weiser is a service company and like any customer-focused service company, we serve at the pleasure of the associations who pay us for our services. As many of the association leaders are volunteers and must fit their work for the association around their jobs, the very nature of our business is one that does sometimes require evening and weekend work as well as last minute deadlines. WJ Weiser has an “all hands on deck” environment as we strive to provide top-notch service to our association clients. Our Executive Directors and Associate Directors are focused, caring and hardworking, as it is their job to ensure that we are meeting the needs of the associations who pay us. Our environment is quite fast-paced, and responsiveness is very important to us. Ours is not an 8 to 5 Monday through Friday business, as are many other service companies. If that is the type of work environment someone seeks, then for some of our jobs WJ Weiser may not be the right type of workplace. Our people are extremely important to us, and our goal is to continue to find ways to enhance our culture to promote retention and job satisfaction. We believe that is why the majority of the Weiser team has been with the company for 3-5 years, and some for many more. If you like a fast-paced, energetic service environment where you can make a difference for the associations we serve, then we hope you will consider WJ Weiser.

"Exciting work environment"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at WJ Weiser & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, challenging work, good benefits

Cons

I don't have any right now

May 4, 2017Vice-President, Human Resources & Employee Development

We are pleased to hear you enjoy your coworkers and feel challenged and fulfilled by your work with us. We strive to provide supportive and caring environment to our employees, so we appreciate your feedback on your experience with us. Thank you for your comments.

"Worse Job EVER"

I worked at WJ Weiser & Associates

Pros

NONE NONE NONE NONE NONE

Cons

I am a woman but working for an organization that is run by mostly all women is completely CRAZY!!! There was so much nepotism which resulted in constant stabbing in the back. the owner and her sister were so difficult to work for and the woman who ran the events was only interested in collecting the hotel points so she could take an elaborate honeymoon and vacations. There was no work/life balance - if you traveled and worked over a weekend they would give you a HALF day off....oh and they would fly you out on red eyes and expect for you to be at work on time the next day. I could hardly wait to run out the door.

May 4, 2017Vice-President, Human Resources & Employee Development

We appreciate your feedback as these comments help us to continually improve our company. We’re sorry to hear you did not feel supported during your time with us as a happy and healthy work environment is our top priority. WJ Weiser does have an “all hands on deck” environment as we strive to provide top-notch service to our association clients – while work/life balance for our employees is important to us, working the occasional weekend or late evening is the nature of association management. That said, the stability of our workforce is extremely important to us and our goal is to continue to find ways to enhance our culture to promote retention and job satisfaction. We believe that is reason why the majority of the Weiser team has been with the company for at least 3-5 years.

"You Really Don't Want to Work for a Company Run by a Mentally Ill Person, Do You?"

Former Employee - Editor in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at WJ Weiser & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

One or two of my coworkers were nice. No other pros. And the rating that would better reflect my opinion of this place would be zero stars.

Cons

A lot of shenanigans going on over there, some of it behind people's backs and some of it right out in the open. Because when an employer is truly insane, it's not always easy to hide the resulting nonsense from employees. A great deal of paranoia and backstabbing, which originates from the manager/owner and makes its way on down. For example, editors looking for a job will be interested in knowing that the "powers that be" are particularly out to sabotage editors. They have been observed, by staff members, changing a piece of edited copy back to the original, unedited (and clearly in need of editing!) version. Really, don't even THINK about taking a job here. Besides the fact that sooner or later (probably sooner) you'll be fired anyway, you don't want to add to your life the stress and trauma of slaving away in that toxic environment. They could have paid me triple what they actually did pay me, and knowing what I know now, I STILL would want to head for the hills.

May 4, 2017Vice-President, Human Resources & Employee Development

We deeply regret that you have such bitter feelings about your experience at Weiser. We are sorry about that. However, there are always other perspectives of other people. Weiser is a fast-paced organization by the nature of what we do – providing services to professional associations, and serving the volunteer Boards of Directors in the medical and other areas which we support. Our associations expect high standards, and we work hard to provide that level of service and support. We do value our people. It is in Weiser’s best interest that our people who we have hired and invested in, are successful. In the past 6 months, two of our Editors were promoted into other roles. The company believes in promoting from within. We recognize that our company maybe is not the right place for everyone, just like for all other companies. We wish you success in your future endeavors.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 English Reviews