WM Employee Reviews about "work life balance"
59% would recommend to a friend
(141 total reviews)
James C. Fish, Jr
77% approve of CEO
Found 141 of over 4K reviews
Updated Dec 5, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What people are saying about WM
2 months ago
Unfortunately, earlier this year I was laid off from WM. However, as of yesterday, I landed a job offer outside of the consulting. I tried to negotiate the salary, but the company is only willing to pay 75k +5% bonus despite my four YoE in consulting. I want to return to consulting, but the market is atrocious. QUESTION: What would you do if you were in this situation?
Investment Banking - IBD
3 months ago
I work at MS and been reaching out to individuals who work in IB and nobody is responding 😢. I really want to work in IB as it’s been a goal of mine for the last 3 years. I joined MS to potentially make a lateral move but I’m just not sure what to do now. Currently working in strategy side of WM. A lot of skills I learned here are transferable to IB…at least from what I’ve seen
Got a burning question about WM? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with WM employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "What was great about working here was most of the people and the benefits were great too." (in 478 reviews)
- "the only pro i can say is the pay is good but not worth it ." (in 304 reviews)
- "Great people and company to work for" (in 146 reviews)
- "work life balance is good" (in 45 reviews)
- "Employees are great and friendly" (in 43 reviews)
- "Management was poor and very bias" (in 211 reviews)
- "Long hours and maybe weekends" (in 112 reviews)
- "Managers do not do a great job with communicating with their employees unless it’s regarding sales ." (in 72 reviews)
- "poor upper management who was not very involved with the day to day operations." (in 62 reviews)
- "No training, must sit next to someone who is a regular paid employee and hope they know how to train you." (in 53 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of WM and is not affected by filters.
Reviews about "work life balance"Return to all Reviews
- 4.0Feb 16, 2016Operations ManagerFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsLewisville, TX
Promote from within and develop their leaders. Great benifits
Long hours no life work balance. On call 24 hours a day 7 days a week
- 2.0Nov 7, 2022Setup CoordinatorCurrent Employee, more than 1 year
Benefits- They are pretty decent. Health and retirement are competitive. School benefits are also aligned with most tech companies.
No room for advancement. Management discourages you from applying to other departments, especially since you are hard-working. Raises are low; they will give you a minimum after your yearly review. Work-life balance is almost poor; some employees will work longer hours than others in the same department. Making changes that would benefit the department is also discouraged, so you will constantly react instead of being proactive. Everyone passes the buck, and no one takes ownership or responsibility.WM Response2y
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns as we value all feedback. We continually strive to ensure that our management is providing the best leadership to our teams. The key to our success is our people and we continue to make strides in providing the best work experience possible.
- 4.0Dec 23, 2020Anonymous ContractorFormer Contractor, less than 1 yearHouston, TX
Takes care of their employees and cares about work life balance
No the best technologically advanced company
- 4.0May 27, 2014Customer Service SupervisorFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsSaint Louis, MO
There are many opporturnites for job growth and the company values engaged employees and customers. Waste Management is an environmental leader and seeks to recycle and repurpose waste.
Employees must often work very long hours and it can be difficult to maintain a work/life balance. Management style among locations varies greatly and at times this results in conflicting priorities.1
- 4.0Feb 14, 2019Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 1 year
Team moral , fun environment. Manger was personable and understood work/life balance. Department activities and team building events.
Book of business can be too much causing stress. Overtime not permitted so you had to sometimes work through lunch to get things done on time. Manager understood work life balance which I think upper management needed to understand more. Upper management didn’t really care about the clients and only cared about the bottom line and keeping clients money.WM Response5y
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As you know, this industry can be very demanding, but we also understand that work-life balance is important and love to hear recommendations on how to best provide a positive work experience. We appreciate your feedback as we continue to learn and grow.
- 3.0Sep 7, 2022DispatcherCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsMoon Township, PA
The job is relatively easy once you learn all the proprietary systems. The learning curve is the only read hard part. Benefits are solid and probably the best thing, nice 401k matching. Tuition assistance is there too. As far as career advancement, if you are interested in operations you should be able to get an opportunity there within a few years if you are good at what you're doing.
Pay structure leaves too much to be desired. 2% base pay raise per year, whether you are the best at what you do or the worst. Low incentive to be amazing. This will leave you lagging behind new people getting hired, as I have recently learned. They will outpace you in pay while being less experienced, and that is objectively bad business. Also mandatory rotated Saturdays and occasional holidays. Not great for work/life balance when you end up with a 5am Saturday shift that pretty much erases your weekend.1WM Response2y
Thank you so much for leaving such a detailed review! We value all feedback and continually strive to ensure we are providing our employees with an environment they can succeed in.
- 5.0Feb 4, 2021Senior AccountantCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsSacramento, CA
WM cares about their employees and demonstrate that through their actions pretty well. Management makes sure we have everything we need to be comfortable to do the job. They try their best to have work life balance down for employees and take feedback to heart.
It's garbage.. so it can smell or be dirty.1
- 5.0Mar 13, 2021Project SpecialistCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearBaton Rouge, LA
All about the employee and the work life balance is awesome!
Hiring skilled and professional managers would be helpful in the team reaching full productivity and maintaining a safe working environment.