WMS Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor

WMS Gaming Reviews

Updated September 28, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some great people, opportunity to be creative (in 11 reviews)

• Compensation, flexible, good benefits, occasionally really fun games to work on (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The new leadership has caused growing pains within the company ever since being bought out by Scientific Games (in 11 reviews)

• Little to no ongoing investment in development tools or environment (in 4 reviews)

"Director"

Former Employee - Manager in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Waukegan, IL

Pros

None because they sold out their own company to Ballys and left about 5000 people suddenly unemployed.

Cons

Aside from the above, they treat their employees as disposable commodities. Their financials have been a loss position in the last 3 year years, due to their sales people selling vapor wear, i.e., software and games that were not ready to be rolled out. The accounting dept had no policies or procedures, leaving the external auditors scratching their heads. This company should have be put to bed long ago, since they struggled with even the basic fundamentals of a corporation - much less a public one.

Some of these people spent 10+ waiting to lead them and not have to scramble at every quarter. This is the worst group of management I've ever seen.

Advice to Management

You sold out to the highest bidder, took your millions and left. You have no morals or ethics and you certainly don't care about the people that worked around the clock to help you make every quarter, Now, you've sold everyone out took your millions and ran like the cowards you are. You've treated everyone of your employees, especially the ones that manufacture your games and left them with nothing. I hope you can sleep at night with your millions because karma is b.

"Be Careful Which Life Stage of WMS People Are Commenting On"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The compensation and benefits have been consistently above-average through the transition from the original leadership to the takeover of the hired guns to the acquisition by SciGames.
    The actual work is fun and interesting and you will find people who care about that above the politics and posturing. Hopefully you report to one.

Cons

Most of the vision and purpose of the leadership from the early 2000s has been lost through the transitions and the focus has shifted to pure numbers. This is not necessarily a bad thing; it is part of the maturation as the company and market has grown and perhaps necessary to survive in 2015.

Advice to Management

Since the exit of the original leadership, I never really understood the goals of the organization other than profit, and even how to go about becoming more profitable other than work hard and obey orders. If that was communicated at all, it sounded like propaganda and difficult to get behind. Fix that.

"Cultural Challenged"

Pros

Benefits are among best in industry

Cons

Management culture is highly political, poorly motivated, and looking out for themselves only.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves - Lochiatto regime.

"What a waste of time"

Current Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, cafe in building, games, free soda...ummm thats about it

Cons

Where do I begin - sr management is definitely NOT transparent. They kept so many secrets from us hard workers specially when layoffs happen. We didn't receive bonuses either...management "claims" they didn't receive one either. I find that hard to believe. If you're looking to work here - DON'T. They're still laying off folks. Remember they bought a competitor so roles are overlapping left and right. Avoid this place at all costs. It sucks here and I'm trying to get out ASAP! Morale is down the crapper! Sigh, wouldn't be surprised if everyone packed up and moved to Vegas. Offices are closing left and right.

Advice to Management

Open up a bit, get your head out of the clouds. Come off from behind closed doors - have open door policies! Open communication. Get to know your employees - stop giving non-managers offices!!! There's 2 there that don't deserve them. Make them sit in cubes where they belong!

"Power Dive (emplyoee approval rating)"

Former Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started at WMS everyone there seemed so content. There were initiatives to broaden yourself and learn new things. The company had scored consecutive listings as one of the best places in Chicago to work. Brian Gamache the former ceo had a reputation for listening to his employees. They built a new building that is a pretty nice place to go to work and the cafeteria was really nice.

Cons

...Then the merger with SG was brokered in 2013 and everything went south. Musical chairs in the top offices and the fear and paranoia began. Many, if not most of the people in my department confided fearing for their job to me. Supervisors began watching their backs and at a middle management level there was a lot of jockeying for position. In the 2+ years that I was there I received no raises, not even cost of living raises. I busted my butt to be exactly what they needed, but during reviews I was told that raises were next to impossible to come by. I thought that this was just my own deal, but the more people I talked to offline seemed to confirm my suspicion that the company likes to give average reviews so that they can justify giving no raises. If you want a promotion you need to basically threaten to leave, otherwise there are numerous "bands" to climb, and I was unsuccessful at even moving up one level.

Advice to Management

Is anyone over there looking at the company rating trends on Glassdoor? Take a look for yourself... Power dive! This is because you've had wave after wave of lay offs. Can the people that remain feel good about their positions? (I'm referring to the people who are still there, not growing crowd of people that have been laid off by you). Gavin Isaacs is such a dreadful person. It was always amusing to see an auditorium full of WMS employees rolling their eyes at every other phrase out of his mouth during his "speaker phoned-in" townhalls. Everyone really misses Gamache, he was ten times the leader.

6. "Good place to work."

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible company with plenty of room to grow. Very friendly environment to be a part of. Good compensation for the line of work you do.

Cons

There is little to no communication passed down from management. This company has recently been acquired, thus affecting employee morale. Pay attention to your employees who are helping this business be successful!!

Advice to Management

Start paying closer attention to your employees as they are the individuals who are helping make the business a success.

7. "Very Supportive Management"

Pros

Management worked with me to expand experiences and knowledge outside of the standard job description. Very good work/life balance with a standard 8 hour work day for the most part. Great. Benefits.

Cons

Harsh working environment where coworkers would rather bring up issues in large meetings rather than try to speak with you one on one first.

"Biggest corporate nosedive in history, all thanks to one guy."

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The staff are awesome to work with. So much talent in so many offices around the world. Remuneration is good.

Cons

Top heavy company with upper management who are clueless. More VP’s and Directors than people who actually do the work. Management will say one thing and do the complete opposite, moral is so low I can’t wait to find a new job. It’s gone from the best company to the worst because of the appointment of a certain VP who wormed his way into the position. SG takeover was the last straw because they failed to abolish the ‘good ol boys’ club. Beware of working for this company, you will not learn anything new and you will be stuck with methodologies that existed in the pinball days. A real embarrassment, a real shame.

Advice to Management

Offering advice is pointless, SG have been told many times by many people the real problem however they failed to address it. Maybe one day the ‘good ol boys’ will be gone and we can achieve greatness once again.

"WMS exists in name only as the company was acquired by Scientific Games and is a very different company."

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Empolyees are very hard wording and had a common goal to help the company succeed. Benefits are ok but used to be better.

Cons

Company once prided itself on being an "Employer of Choice" and after the acquisition, you can feel it was no longer the case. Career Development is pretty much non-existent as it based on nepotism as I have never seen before (its not what you know but who you know).

"Used to be a great company, headed downhill fast."

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team members and laid back dress code.

Cons

New management is moving away from caring about employees, reduced benefits-increased work level.

Advice to Management

Employees are people too.