WNC & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Will Cooper Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Turning the Corner"

I have been working at WNC & Associates full-time

Pros

Truly a family-business, real care is given to the employees. If you take initiative, you have the ability to go far at the company. Development business has really taken off and has positive upbeat culture which provides a good balance to the company overall.

Cons

Office space is a little drab and lifeless. Think about more flexible work options and create more of a work life balance. Would help with employee retention.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. It's tough to change the mindset of an entire company overnight, but little changes are being made on a daily basis. The older guard a the company is transitioning to a new leadership mindset, which is very refreshing. Management used to disrespect the junior level of employees, the recent changes at the top have really improved the culture.

2. "Project Manager"

I have been working at WNC & Associates full-time

Pros

Transparency, Focus on Culture, Great People, Clear Vision, Career Opportunities, Training, Management Support, Family Atmosphere, Goal Oriented

Cons

Niche Industry, Smaller Company, Corporate Office Location

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work focusing on people!

"Great company for starting a career"

I worked at WNC & Associates full-time

Pros

If you are new to working in corporate this a good place to get your feet wet. There are some really great people that work at this company. They have a really awesome HR manager who plans a lot of fun activities.

Cons

They do not pay well, so get your experience, the good title and use that to get a nice offer somewhere else. The only time they give significant enough pay bumps is if someone gets an offer from another company first and then they might counter offer. There is a lot of drama between upper management so that is annoying to deal with.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. And be more proactive instead of reactive with keeping employees. Overall company culture is pretty great so keep that up!

4. "CIO"

Current Employee - CIO in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - CIO in Irvine, CA

I have been working at WNC & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A strong company with high ethical standards and integrity and fantastic leadership. Great employee base with a great teamwork focus. I survived a stroke over a year ago. I am back at work now. I wouldn't be as successful with my recovery if it wasn't for the generosity and compassion given to me and my family by the executive staff and employees.. WNC is fortunate to have a very awesome HR Director

Cons

nothing comes to mind other than the limited parking spaces at times

Advice to Management

More team building events with your organizations would be nice

"Don't recommend."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at WNC & Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Great HR Manager with little authority or ability to change the negative culture.

Cons

family owned business, nepotism and disrespectful executives. Cheap.

"Great Small Company"

I have been working at WNC & Associates (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at WNC in various roles for over 10 years. It is a relatively small, family-owned company and I have found it to be an excellent work environment over the years. Management is supportive of a work-life balance. Having worked at several of WNC's competitors, I can say with certainty that WNC has provided the most positive work environment, hands down. The company continues to enjoy responsible growth in an increasingly competitive industry.

Cons

Although the company does allow for flexibility in work location and hours, they have been very resistant to providing some other benefits (e.g. summer Fridays) that would go a long way to keeping morale up and employees happy. Health benefits for families could be better.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize achievements of employees and promoting within the company. Review valued employees salaries to ensure they are being paid market compensation. Too often people need to test the market to get the salary they deserve which often can lead to resentment.

7. "Small Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at WNC & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is exceptional. Monday thru Friday work schedule, don't check email nights or weekends. Great co workers.

Cons

Since a small company, not much room for career growth.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

8. "Leaving the workforce to be a full time dad"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager - Underwriting in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager - Underwriting in Boston, MA

I worked at WNC & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is probably close to best in the industry. While advancement can be challenging at a small company there is certainly opportunities and compensation available for top performers, and the work/life balance provided is difficult to put a $ to. I can walk away proud of the work I did while with the company and values that exist within the organization.

Cons

The LIHTC syndication business is tougher than ever. With direct buyers taking a lot of the prime deals, and increased competition and increased scrutiny and oversight from the investor community, getting deals and getting deals done has become increasingly difficult and time consuming. WNC is well positioned as a small to medium sized syndication firm, but growth has proved difficult in the current environment. As the industry has changed management has done a fairly good job of identifying other ancillary opportunities to focus, and while syndication remains the core of the business it's most likely that in the short term growth will come from elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Your people are and will continue to be your absolute greatest asset in this industry. Hold onto the good ones by creating an environment people love to work in, and only recruit the best. As a small company its difficult to devote a lot of resources to training, and given that this is a sink or swim type of business, avoid cutting corners on talent in key spots.

9. "Starting to turn the corner"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

Good starter company, decent benefits, pay needs to be increased, senior mgmt making progress, good location, some flexibility with hours

Cons

Culture needs to improve, ownership is out of touch with employees and greedy. CEO doesn't leave office to talk with staff. CFO is arrogant and she doesn't seem to care

Advice to Management

Let us do our job, just because company makes money doesn't mean you are right

"Worst Company that ever exists!"

Pros

None. This place is the worst place to work for.

Cons

Bad company to work for

Advice to Management

Shut it down