WPS Health Insurance Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Hamerlik

Pros
  • Fantastic team, good benefits, positive environment, very stable industry (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule with great benefits and 401k matching (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management recognizes the need to change and they have the willingness to push forward for change (in 10 reviews)

• Heavily dependent on government contracts so there can be layoffs (in 8 reviews)

1. "Ok but could be better"

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules at exempt level. Teledoc is free. Low stress, reasonable pay with year raises that keep up with inflation. Hsa that comes with $1000 is pretty amazing. Low cost insurence with a higher ppo option.

Cons

The culture here is entrenched and antiquated. You can't as much as install Google Chrome without going through several layers of IT bureaucracy. Open source software is all but banned. At the tech level you have 10-15 year veterns who are out produced by new hires who work twice as fast. Management attempts to foster competition within teams which leads to people being graded on a curve. Bonuses are paided out arbitrarily at the exempt level with people busting their butts all year and getting the minimum bonus.

Advice to Management

Try to open up your IT policies to allow people to do their job. Fire people who can't perform at least as good as new hires.

2. "A&R"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

High ethics standards. Great benifits package health, dental and vision also 401k w. Some departments also offer work at home.

Cons

Currently going through changes got to stay focused to keep track, the work load can be heavy at times or very ligh.

"Changing culture? I don't think so..."

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

6% 401(k) match, and that's pretty much it

Cons

Management does not trust employees. Executive office is completely out of touch with reality. Little to no strategic thinking happens at the top, leaving middle management and the worker bees in the dark. PPMO is used as scapegoat for everything, leading the good ones to leave. Too many directors and VPs without clear job definitions. Too top heavy.

Advice to Management

Stop using your PPMO as scapegoats for poor leadership/decision making. Hire less clueless VPs and more strategic thinkers/hard workers. Stop claiming to be ethical when there are questionable practices going on everywhere.

5. "Clerk IV Medicare"

Former Employee - Clerk IV Medicare in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Clerk IV Medicare in Madison, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Comfortable working environment
    Sheltered parking ramp good cafeteria menus

Cons

little chance for advancement; some supervisors should be forced to re-apply for their
    position; experienced employees (with 5, 10 + yrs) being laid off and replaced with new
    hires at lower wages, fewer benefits, e.g., less vacation days, probation.

Advice to Management

Invest in experienced employees, encourage them to learn new skills so they can replace
    employees lost through attrition, retirement or death

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunities for growth within and across departments
    - Great people to work with
    - Flexible schedule
    - Good work life balance

Cons

Some people at WPS have been at the company for a very long time, and are frustrated with the recent shift to a performance based culture. That said, most people are on board with the change and the culture is shifting to be a very positive, rewarding one. Now, instead of tenure determining an employee's comp and opportunities, performance drives them.

"Happy at WPS!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is making great strides in shifting the culture to reward high performers. The recently implemented Company Values, great opportunity for flexible scheduling and to work from home, along with a leadership team that is making a tremendous effort to hear the voices of the staff all create a motivating, positive work environment.

Cons

Some employees struggle with change and taking ownership for their own situations and moving forward into the high performing culture that is being implemented.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great momentum you have going with the culture change!

8. "Working to improve"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Madison, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Flexible work schedules
    Paid holidays off

Cons

Hard to use vacation time
    Not a lot of room for advancement

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Madison, WI

I worked at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had a great boss that protected me from Senior Management.

Cons

I like to compare WPS to an abusive boyfriend/girlfriend. They take away benefits, tell you you're not pulling your weight, threaten to fire you or you see others let go/fired so you live in constant fear of wondering are you next, and eventually you may be let go/fired and replaced by a younger, cheaper individual just coming out of college who doesn't know any better. And then the abuse starts all over again. This company makes you feel worthless, dumb, and that you can't succeed outside in the real world.

What I have observed with my time at WPS: This company will demote you from a salary position (which you had been salaried for 8+ years) to an hourly position and not call it a demotion and will expect you to put in the same amount of OT without clocking it in and getting paid for it. People are too afraid to say anything because they don't want to lose their job, so they just work the OT without compensation. There is always an underlying threat of being let go, I had a pretty safe position because I had a boss that valued my work and fought for me but I never truly felt safe. I've seen and experienced managers who will give you a hard time for taking any Vacation/PTO time for doctor visits, being out of town for a long weekend, or leaving early for an appointment. I would fight back because it's my PTO time and I can use it when I want, which never would sit well with managers. When I left, I had over 3 weeks of PTO time that they paid me out for because I was sick of fighting for my time off. Benefits are a joke, they say all other companies are moving to HDHP plans because of the cost savings... I guess my new company didn't get that memo, I have a $600 ded plan (single) with copays at almost the same price as WPS's HDHP plans. They make you dress up, which I know this is minor, but when you think about it... All I did was sit in my cubicle, with a blanket over my legs. Nobody saw how I would dress, I never went to meetings or met any outside vendors. Dress up clothes aren't comfortable to sit in all day, I'm more efficient when I'm comfortable, and jeans and a sweat shirt is more comfortable to me than dressing up. So again, this is minor but it does have an affect on the moral of the company because I've heard others who don't see the point in dressing up either. Upper Management is a complete joke, they are so top heavy with managers it's ridiculous. They don't work as a team at all, half the management hates the other half and are constantly throwing each other under the bus so nothing can get accomplished at this company. Everything is micromanaged, they tell you to think outside the box but really what they mean is do everything what your supervisor tells you and no more, most of the time with management the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.

WPS has been deep in their reserves for the past couple of years, I have no idea how this company is surviving right now or will survive in the future. Personally, I think the CEO is trying to bankrupt the company and sell the buildings for a huge profit. Why else would he be fixing up each of the buildings and making them look more up to date and modern? He doesn't care that much about his employees.

To be perfectly honest with you, don't work here unless you have no other option. And if this is your last option, still don't do it. Being homeless is much more appealing than working for this company. If you do accept a position, keep looking, get some experience under your belt and then get out asap.

Advice to Management

At this point, what's the use. They never listened before, why would they now?

"Quality Assuranrce"

Current Employee - Auditor in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Auditor in Madison, WI

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always have work to do. Flexible hours

Cons

I just don't want to heard the word "leadership" at WPS. I have no idea how the managers or supervisors leaded. They have no ideas of what/how their employees doing. When comes to performance review, you have to write up your own review. Seems like you're newly there and introduced yourself to your supervisor. That does not leadership. And favorite an employee that does not know anything is not a good leadership. They come up with the ideas but never happen. Getting rip of the good employees and hired people off the street will not bring good leadership at WPS.

Advice to Management

To a better leadership, hire people with experience and keep those good employees. You have to pay more to them but they bring good future to your company

"Passing through"

I have been working at WPS Health Insurance full-time

Pros

Coworkers are great. Benefits are passable.

Cons

Management is not transparent enough.

Advice to Management

Communicate expectations to empower your people.