WPS Health Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Michael Hamerlik

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fantastic team, good benefits, positive environment, very stable industry (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits package, very flexible schedule (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management recognizes the need to change and they have the willingness to push forward for change (in 12 reviews)

• He is out to tear this company down and does not appreciate any of his long-term employees (in 4 reviews)

1. "Positive Work Experience"

Pros

I was able to learn valuable things from older and more experienced employees, so it was an edifying and helpful job for me.

Cons

Sometimes my department was a little disorganized, which impeded the work I was able to do because my responsibilities were not always clearly outlined.

2. "Wonderful colleagues & great place for younger professionals to get a start"

I worked at WPS Health Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers and colleagues are wonderful - team-based culture encouraged and there are many employees who've been there for decades. Many younger professionals are getting a great start to their careers.

Cons

Competitive compensation, but health plan could be improved by offering more options.

"Very good"

Current Employee - Mechanic III in Monona, WI
    Current Employee - Mechanic III in Monona, WI

I have been working at WPS Health Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The location to my home, friendly people willing to lend a hand when needed. Management staff is very positive and helpful.

Cons

Could be a lot more organized when starting with a totally new crew and employ enough people to do the work.

Advice to Management

When hiring staff, base their pay on their experience not on how cheap you can get your employees.

"WPS GHA is a Company in Transition"

Current Employee - Supervisor, Field Cost Report Audit in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor, Field Cost Report Audit in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WPS Health Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits package, very flexible schedule.

Cons

Many long term employees who are stuck in their ways, inconsistent decisions being made by management leading to inefficiencies and frustration, company is in a state of technological transition and still has many kinks to work out, work can be very monotonous.

Advice to Management

GHA division needs to get younger, need more consistency across offices.

5. "Supervisor"

I have been working at WPS Health Solutions full-time

Pros

flexibility, insurance, and paid time off

Cons

too little freedom and management takes too little time to weigh pros and cons before making a decision.

"Claims Examiner III"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at WPS Health Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule, great hours & cafeteria!! 👍

Cons

Management is poor - a lot of changes & no answers or direction.

Advice to Management

Get better leaders in as Management; not just some one with a Degree. Common sense is not very common anymore, and you don't need a Masters Degree to have it!

"Awful company, ran by a money hungry man"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Madison, WI

I have been working at WPS Health Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None. Michael Hamerlik is looking to drive this company into the ground.

Cons

Michael Hamerlik is nothing but an evil soul. He is out to tear this company down and does not appreciate any of his long-term employees. If you were smart, you would never work for this company.

Advice to Management

Fire Michael Hamerlik.

8. "Claims Processor"

I have been working at WPS Health Solutions full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule and decent benefits

Cons

Terrible training, the first few months are really rough because there are so many technical things to learn.

Advice to Management

Get a better trainer

"Misleading management, deceptive practices, DO NOT WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Claims Processor in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Claims Processor in Madison, WI

I worked at WPS Health Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not too many Pro's, a lot of the "benefits" they advertise are not special or unique in any way, such as gym discounts, gym classes available at work, oil changes on site at work. Instead of those unnecessary benefits, they should focus on providing actual benefits like competitive health insurance premiums, competitive hourly pay, bonus, etc.

Cons

I am writing this review in order to help people who are considering working here or are currently working here but not satisfied. You have a right to be informed with what goes on on the ground level at this company before and during your tenure here.

I agree with most of the things that have been written about this company in the 'Cons' section including: micromanagement, incompetent leadership, poor benefits, poor pay, mandated overtime, complete lack of job security, and the number of people who are fired and laid off for no good reason. I have too many complaints to list, but I will only discuss the basics:

1. The pay is not competitive, only around $13/hour for claims processors and $14/hour for customer service reps, and sometimes mandatory overtime, but no bonus or incentives for excellent performance like at other companies.

2. Miscommunication between HR, new hire employees, and management. HR sent me an e-mail telling me to arrive my first week at 9:30am. I arrived 'early' around 8:30am my second day of work and my supervisor arrived to tell me I was late. This was startling and in actuality, it could have been avoided had there been better communication from HR and/or management. In general, I didn't find HR to be a helpful resource and they seemed out of touch with what was going on at the ground level.

3. About communication, there was supposed to be an hour long meeting about 2 months into my tenure at the company for new hires and the person leading the meeting never showed up, so we waited for her for almost an hour and ended up wasting time. The person who sent the e-mail invite for the meeting never followed-up or explained the reason for her absence. It was plain shady and unprofessional, but unfortunately, thing likes this are not uncommon at this company.

4. In my ten weeks working at the company, I never did the job I was hired to. It was ridiculous! I never worked towards any kind of production goals like the regular employees who had been around for years. Other new hires complained that they would be assigned a random project that would take less than an hour to complete and early in the morning, around 8:30am, there would be no work for them to do. Time would go by very slowly and I watched the time much more than I should have and ended up twiddling my thumbs in order to pass time at work. It was a kind of a curse to get paid to do nothing over half the time I was there.

One of the so-called "supervisers" there (I say so because my impression was that she was a support staff and not part of the leadership team, but it turned out she somehow was part of the leadership team despite her lack of experience) once gave an entirely pointless training on OneNote because it is one of her favorite organizational tools. I thought it was useless because there is not an actual need to use the app in an entry-level job at WPS where it is mostly either data entry or customer service. The entire time is spent keying in claims and doing edits. I think she was just trying to pass the time and give training in one of the few things she is competent in, just to keep us occupied, but without any purpose. She was one of the people in leadership that spent quite a bit of time organizing fun activities like games and treats and snacks and celebrations to distract employees and impress her superiors rather than spending more of that time trying actually help support employees.

Had we been given the proper and structured training, we would have started processing claims and working towards productivity and quality goals within the first 2-5 weeks. We should have been kept busy enough and so focused on the job that we were assigned that time would fly by, as is my experience with my current job at a different company.

Working at WPS was a complete waste of time and I should have been smart enough to quit after the first month, rather than waiting until after 2 months to leave the company. At the same time, I was naive and inexperienced which definitely affected my perspective. When I look back at these experiences, I feel bitter and disappointed but at the same time, I know what to look for in future employers in order to avoid a disaster like this and most importantly, working here gave me a huge lesson that I should never trust an employer or my supervisors completely and understand that they could have ulterior motives. This company should win an award for one of the worst employers in Wisconsin and the supervisors deserve honorable mention for Deceptive and Misleading Leadership.

5. Poor management and leadership team. Several supervisors on the leadership team were hired from the outside and did not possess claims processing or customer service experience within the health insurance industry and as a result were not able to help the new hires in any significant or meaningful way. About a month into my tenure, they let us form a new hire committee to discuss how we want to improve our work situation. I kind of laugh at the idea of this looking back, because it seems like a way for leadership to not take enough responsibility for making sure new hires are properly trained and transition onto the floor and works towards production and instead leave them in a limbo state. Essentially, they were making it look like they were trying to help us when really it was just a guise.

One of the main supervisors only worked there 6-7 months and resigned from the company the very same month that I quit! Maybe he just wanted to build his resume, but the company should be smart enough to not invest their resources into hiring a supervisor from outside of the company that will just use the work opportunity as a brief stint and resume building opportunity. They need to focus on hiring internally and bring in people who have been around doing the job for years inside the company who can actually make a positive and lasting difference within leadership.

Quite a few people I met complained about leadership and management, citing they were paternalistic, micromanaged them, and not very good at their jobs. I wholeheartedly agree with them. They value 'customer focus' 'mutual respect' 'drive' and other values but fail to genuinely implement these values into their management practices.

6. Huge, huge turnover. Most companies have quite a bit of turnover and the bigger a company gets, it is expected that quite a few people will quit within months into their tenure. However, I wanted to highlight what others have mentioned in their review, that there is a constant revolving door of employees. Some people experience longevity of years, but those are a minority.

Even the people who had worked at the company for years admitted that the main reason they were sticking with their current positions was because they couldn't expect to make more in pay if they found another similar position. I met a guy who was a top performer at the company that left within a year and a few months at the job citing the pay was not competitive enough for him and pay raises not fast enough. It says a lot when a valued and top performer at a company leaves that company for another job.

I spoke about my complaints at WPS when I applied for my current job at a different company with one of their HR staff. They agreed with me and sympathized with my complaints. I also shared my experiences with family members who agreed with me and thought I made a good decision by quitting very early on. One of my family members knew someone who had worked at the company for years and she also stated that leadership was not good and there were problems of trust and communication with them.

**The good news is that upon quitting my position, I was offered a new position at a different company within several days and offered a more competitive hourly pay, bonus incentives, and competitive benefits that began upon the date of hire. When I look back, I think I made a great decision by leaving a company like WPS Health Solutions that fails to invest their resources into new hires and instead hires incompetent and misleading supervisory and leadership staff! I never look back and truly believe I am in a better situation currently than I was a year ago, merely due to the fact that I left early on and found a job that actually treats their employees relatively decently and offers them REAL, not superficial benefits.

***I would highly recommend anybody who has any doubts about their job at this company to leave. There are hundreds of other jobs out there that will treat you better than at WPS Health Solutions in Monona.

Advice to Management

Don't mislead or deceive your employees, practice what you preach, and treat others the way you would like to be treated. Honesty and being straightforward is the best policy. You are getting paid GOOD money to do a job, so please do it to the best of your ability and don't goof around too much!

If you don't know what you are doing or are simply there only to advance yourself and not genuinely care about others, I would suggest resigning ASAP to not ruin your employees' experiences!

Sincerely, a former employee that was MORE than fed up with you, and happy she left this company early on :)

"Lots of change happening"

Current Employee - Process Analyst in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Process Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at WPS Health Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WPS is working very hard to modernize its technology, which is necessary given how outdated much of it is.

Cons

Leadership doesn't seem to have a clear picture of the future, so staff are fairly uneasy in what all the changes mean.

Advice to Management

Share better information.