WSECU Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2020

4.4
WSECU President and CEO Gary Swindler
Gary Swindler
Pros
  • "WSECU truly cares about it's employees(in 19 reviews)

• "Wonderful place to work with awesome culture, fair pay and great benefits(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "At WSECU you will have stressful days(in 5 reviews)

• "Lack of opportunities if you are outside of Olympia and do not want to move there(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at WSECU full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

WSECU and the board cares about both the employees and members. Amazing benefits, vacation accruals and the caring family atmosphere is great!

Cons

long tenured employees so not always opportunity to advance

August 5, 2020Director, People & Culture Services

Thank you for your review! At WSECU, caring for our members’ and employees’ well-being is part of who we are. We work hard to ensure that our employees have access to amazing benefits and opportunities to develop, which is why we have so many dedicated, long-term employees, such as yourself! We view this as a good “problem” to have, though we completely understand it can be tough for our talented team members who are eager to move up the ranks. To those folks, we encourage you to remain patient and keep an eye out, as positions do open up!

2. "Great company, well taken care of"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Olympia, WA

I have been working at WSECU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I feel valued and taken care of at this CU. The leadership from the top down is member focused which in turn is a benefit for employees because they see that taking care of employees means that members will be taken care of.

Cons

In life if you focus on the negatives, then your life wont go well. Dont focus on the cons and you will be fine.

July 17, 2020Director, People & Culture Services

Thank you for your kind words, and for taking the time to leave us a review! We completely agree that valuing and taking care of our employees has a direct impact on our members. This is especially true at this time, when the health and safety of both is our highest priority. We also want to applaud you on your “glass half-full” outlook on life! We appreciate your positive attitude, and we’re certain that your members and coworkers do too!

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Olympia, WA

I have been working at WSECU full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

excellent benefits, great culture, career development

Cons

not much turnover means fewer chances to move up not many remote work options

May 30, 2020Director, People & Culture Services

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, especially during these challenging times. As a dedicated employee of over 10 years, your feedback is invaluable! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying all of the fantastic benefits that come with working at WSECU. We feel very fortunate that so many of our team members choose to stay with us long-term; we feel it speaks to our amazing culture. We hear you though that that this low turnover has a flip-side, but opportunities do come up and we are committed to supporting our employees on their career journeys. Lastly, as this pandemic has altered the way we do business, our priority continues to be on the safety and well-being of our employees. By necessity, we have greatly expanded our remote workforce for the time being. Although we do believe we’re a stronger organization when we’re together, it’s likely there will be additional opportunities for remote work after the pandemic is over, for at least some positions.

4. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I worked at WSECU full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They care about their employees

Cons

The company is a little management heavy

May 1, 2020Director, People & Culture Services

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate you taking a moment to leave us a review, especially during this unprecedented time. You’re absolutely right that caring for our employees is always at the top of mind for us! Another priority is encouraging internal career advancement for our many talented team members, and we are proud to have such a strong, committed leadership team.

5. "Work/Life Balance, Good Pay Great Benefits"

4.0
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor

I have been working at WSECU full-time for less than a year

Pros

Almost 4 weeks PTO in the first year Overtime available Competitive pay Amazing and free or close to it health benefits.

Cons

Inconsistent processes, lots of restructure and throwing people under the bus. You have to wear brandwear, even in the back office where you don’t see any customers, you HAVE to wear it and it’s not cheap. They give a you a stipend but it expires if you don’t use it in time.

March 6, 2020PCS Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are proud to offer amazing benefits and leave time, along with competitive pay, and we’re pleased to hear that you agree. When our employees wear our WSECU logo, we believe it helps promote our strong culture of teamwork and pride in our brand. A volunteer employee committee works closely with our clothing vendor to make sure we offer lots of style choices at reasonable prices to stretch our annual stipend dollars as far as we can. For annual budget reasons, we do recover unused employee stipend dollars at the end of the year and we are currently reviewing this practice to see if there are other solutions. Thank you once again for your feedback. Our mortgage department has been going through some changes recently, and we understand that transitional periods can be a challenge for everyone. We encourage you to share your thoughts or concerns with your leadership team; your perspective is extremely valuable! If you would like to discuss further, please reach out to People & Culture Services at 800.562.0999 x10374.

6. "4/5"

4.0
    Current Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA

I have been working at WSECU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and culture

Cons

Very little opportunity for promotions

Continue reading

January 7, 2020PCS Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We’re glad you agree about our great pay and benefits, and a culture that is second to none. One aspect of this culture is our commitment to employee career growth. It’s true that branch employees who want to stay in service delivery have fewer opportunities to change roles since there are a limited number of leadership positions within branches. Keep an eye on it - they do come open, although it can just take longer, as we have employees who tend to stay in their roles (there’s that great culture again). That said, if you are open to coming to the Olympia area, we’d encourage you to explore the abundance of opportunities in our headquarters location. Lastly, thank you for your suggestion on adding more branches and departments regionally. These decisions are made expressly from the perspective of member service and growth opportunities for the credit union. We do expect over the next few years there may be expansion, and as that plays out, it will be good for staff looking for more career options.

"Bring back the heart of WSECU"

I have been working at WSECU full-time

Pros

Great benefits can’t be beaten and wonderful employees!

Cons

We are becoming too much like a bank. With staffing in branches FMLA call outs and vacations employees feel guilty to call out when they are ill because we don’t have enough coverage in branches. We use to feel organic and now we feel like a bank. With technology comes data and it feels like the numbers and money are more important than our members and employees.

Continue reading

November 19, 2019PCS Manager

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience. As a branch employee, you know better than most what it takes to deliver outstanding member service on a daily basis, and your insights are valuable to us. You also know best when the right decision is to stay home due to illness. We are lucky to have such wonderful, dedicated employees. You’re right, it can be a challenge to find the balance between our generous leave policies while ensuring front line staff still have the support they need. While some growing pains are to be expected as we continue to evolve as an organization, the culture you describe here is not what we are aiming for. Taking good care of members and employees remains our top priority. If you are comfortable having a conversation with us to discuss further, please reach out to People & Culture Services at 800.562.0999 x10374.

8. "Great Credit Union"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at WSECU full-time

Pros

Wonderful place to work with awesome culture, fair pay and great benefits

Cons

None, great place to work

November 7, 2019PCS Manager

We appreciate your review! We couldn’t agree more about our awesome culture, and we’re happy to hear that you’re pleased with our pay and benefits too.

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Member Consultant

I have been working at WSECU part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Benefits Low Stress No high pressure sales Fantastic attitudes and vibes from everyone in the workplace User Friendly Systems

Cons

Traveling for training and even that isn't so bad

10. "Outdated Technology"

Former Employee - Member Consultant

I worked at WSECU full-time

Pros

Great benefits especially with healthcare. It's about $40 a month for me and my wife to have Kaiser. People are great and all helpful. About 12 hours a month for vacation, plus 1 personal holiday a year.

Cons

The technology is definitely outdated. Coming from a different credit union I expected more. There is a ton of paperwork needed for loans and opening of new accounts. Receipts and signing for every little transaction. Check scanning is outdated. This can lead to outages and errors because they are not being scanned with the transaction. Members also don't have as much access to bank on the mobile app. I feel like there is also a big push on sales and it is tracked through a sales tracking program. Makes it seem like it's not as much about making things easier for the member, but about the numbers for the branch. While the benefits are great the sick time of 3.5 hours a month is terrible, and the tuition reimbursement could be improved. Not so much from an employee stand point, but from a consumer, the process for getting a loan can be at least 24 hours or more depending on what is needed. At my past credit union it was much quicker and members were able to get their loan that day while sitting with us. Not many career opportunities unless you are closer to Olympia.

Found 76 reviews