WSP Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
WSP President & CEO Alexandre L'Heureux
Alexandre L'Heureux

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, fantastic opportunities to work in a range of different sectors, good IT support and clear company values (in 14 reviews)

• Great work environment and exciting times (in 17 reviews)

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at WSP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well funded and entrepreneurial

Cons

Cons has become a ROI driven enterprise forgetting about the value of engineering, just the concerned about the value extracted from engineering.

Advice to Management

Remember, we're engineer who still have ethical values and we're committed to our trade. The flight of engineers will contine, especially the sr engineers age 50+, as they are being squeezed out.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineering in Glastonbury Center, CT
    Former Employee - Engineering in Glastonbury Center, CT

I worked at WSP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Name and history of this company, international , and in the same line of my career and experience. Should get new challenges and tasks.

Cons

Starting with the over priced cheap medical insurance and benefits , because of that you would notice so many employees have another or on their spouses insurance . And the unprofessional manners inside the company language and depreciation . Also There is so many new people and that explains a lot.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see why people are leaving .

"Project Accountant"

Current Employee - Project Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at WSP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive to report at this time.

Cons

No accounting, management has no clue how to make a decision or run a business. They will screw with you and your hours. No work/life balance. Can't work from home during snow storms or sick days. Little to no PTO and benefits are terrible. Company has gone completely backwards since merger with Parsons-Brinkerhoff. Modern company conducting business as though this is the 1980s.

Advice to Management

Learn how to make a decision! Listen to your employees and take care of them! Talent keeps walking out the door because they are fed up and the clients will take notice.

"Used to be great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at WSP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some fun employee activities, flexible schedule. Could be a good place to work as a young engineer, however, know that it's mostly "sink or swim" as many senior engineers have left and there's not a lot of mentoring happening. Colleagues are the best part of working here, or at least had been, camaraderie is on the decline.

Cons

No mentoring, folks are stretched thin. Not enough compensation for the work being done. Some people are hard workers while others are constantly online looking at FB or online shopping. No support for engineers. Feels like a free for all. Many senior management left in 2015-16 and that really was a blow to the office. The person left in charge has zero people skills and poor judgement. The company overall seems to have lack of better judgement. The HR and IT departments are laughable. How do you hire an HR person who has never worked in the United States before, let alone San Francisco?

Advice to Management

If you took the time to conduct an employee survey, then you should actually read and implement the changes that your employees suggested. Stop blaming past employees for the demise of the office and accept responsibility for your lack of management skills.

6. "Consultant and former V.P."

Former Contractor - Vice President Electrical Engineering in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Vice President Electrical Engineering in Seattle, WA

I worked at WSP as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'm afraid that there are no remaining reasons to continue to work at WSP|PB and it saddens me greatly. I wish that I hadn't had to resign.

Cons

The company has grown so large, by acquisitions, that it has forgotten what Consulting Engineers do for a living. We are supposed to consult with our clients so that we may design a facility that meets their need within their budgetary constraints. The Senior management neglects the needs and desires of their young staff, Consequently the turnover in my department exceeds 100% per DOL formulae. I honestly don't know if the problems are size related (>30,000) or if it's just poor management, but either way it's no longer the pleasant place to work that Flack+Kurtz was. I do suspect that being a publicly traded company has had a large negative impact. Benefits and remuneration have suffered greatly. The best Senior and middle Managers have left for greener pastures. Their replacements just don't measure up.

Advice to Management

Start paying better attention to the foundation of the company. Take care of your staff. The senior managers need to keep a better eye on their middle managers, some of whom have only their self-interest in their minds and hearts. Restore competitive benefits. Stop waiting until staff resign to give raises. Listen to your staff without the "middle manager filter".

"Biller"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ephrata, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ephrata, PA

Pros

The building is beautiful, they provide a modern workspace. Billing supervisors may scare you into believing the project accountants (PA) are scary but they are very understanding and nice.

Cons

No hesitation to fire someone. I was there for only 2 months and they had fired 5 people with no solid reason for the let go. The billing department is a mess. A lot of employees are on edge and scared because of this culture. Heavy biller turnover, PA's has to do the billers job.

Employee morale is low. Employees can't have a mind of there own. When you are working with others they respond to your emails by contacting your manager who communicates to you that the person can't meet for training, almost all communication goes through the manager even the smallest things. Manager and supervisors are very territorial.

Advice to Management

Managers don't be influenced by supervisors opinions but go off of facts. Favoring employees should be a no no. Professionals are needed in a company like this not high schoolers. Eliminate the fear so employees can focus on the work and that may lower the turnovers.

"Do Yourself A Favor and Keep Looking"

Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at WSP full-time

Pros

You Get A Check. You have an email address. You have a computer. You can leave the office. Hopefully you know people outside of the office.

Cons

You are not valued but will be overworked. The paid isnt competitive. There are a lot of office politics. This place will take a piece of your soul. I've never felt better until I left. I strongly recommend that you find a position that will be more rewarding.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees before another firm does.

9. "Problem with senior management"

Current Employee - Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Miami, FL

Pros

Lenient, easy to work for, good benefits.

Cons

Disorganized, lack of management., low salaries.

Advice to Management

Be more engaged

"Poor Work Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at WSP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to highly complex and high key projects

Cons

As an engineer you would not learn much in this company because most of the work is done by in-house spreadsheets.

WSP-building structures, NY office, suffers severely from unpleasant work culture. Long working hours, and noticeable disorderly office environment aggravate working efficiency.

Compensation and benefits is one of the poorest...

"WSP Ruined Parsons Brinckerhoff"

I worked at WSP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Parsons Brinckerhoff (PB) invested in their employees
    PB centralized global functions, resulting in global consistency and economies of scale savings
    PB provided work flexibility

Cons

After WSP purchased PB, investments in employee development ceased.
    WSP decentralized many functions and took a regional approach, resulting in a patchwork of systems and support staff. Each region now has to purchase their own systems, resulting in drastic increase in costs. Management only wants to push costs down to regions even if it ultimately costs 10x more money.
    WSP doesn't understand or care about work flexibility/employee happiness.
    Upper management is too busy trying to grow business through acquisitions and is not focused on managing current business.
    Once acquisitions take place, the integration process is poorly communicated and sloppy at best.

Advice to Management

Rethink everything you are doing.
    Focus on core business and stop trying to buy everything in sight.
    Invest in and respect your employees.