WTS Paradigm Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nathan Herbst

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI

I have been working at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best places I have ever worked. Lots of social activities and great people. Real sense of team here. Management cares about you. Flexible work schedules and able to work remotely when needed.

Cons

Sometimes customers drive decisions that are not in the best interest of the company. Company needs to pay more attention to this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and remember when making business decisions, don't let customers influence things in a way that is not in the long-term interest of the company,

"High Stress - Low Pay"

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package with low premiums.
    Fun and easygoing work environment.
    Lots of company-sponsored activities and events.
    Release parties are awesome!

Cons

High stress work environment due to tight budgeting on a per project basis.
    Low monetary compensation and large resistance against pay increases for "lateral" promotions.
    Modular development with a lack of expansion for individual technical growth.

Advice to Management

Focus on retention tactics and market-value compensation.
    Less company events would be a great place to start defunding to leverage higher salaries.
    Remove concept of lateral promotions and describing it as "increasing your marketability" - sounds like the intent is to get someone to leave, not stay.

"I really enjoy working here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI

I have been working at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people work here. They are smart and fun! Work is challenging and it's a dynamic environment. The company is run efficiently and leadership has really grown and matured over the years. The new office is a great environment to work in and encourages collaboration. The company really wants the employees to be happy and comfortable as well as work hard for their customers.

Cons

Often understaffed, which management recognizes and works hard to rectify. Market can be up and down, but is currently in an upswing.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on and improve customer focus and employee satisfaction. Still many things to be improved here, but it's headed in the right direction.

"Micromanaged"

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, and fun coworkers. There are also quite a few clubs and groups that are fun to join. Everything besides the work itself is great.

Cons

Extremely micromanaged. You have to track every minute of what you do, ostensibly so the customers can be billed correctly. In reality management also uses this to quantify how productive you were, and every few months the people with the worst numbers from each department are cut, and if a department performs "poorly" overall the manager may be cut too. This is all very hush-hush, so you have no idea that you're in danger of getting cut until it's too late. They'll warn you that you have 30 days to be more productive or you'll be let go, but by that point they're going to let you go no matter what you do.

Of the 15 or so people I personally knew (including some managers and project leads) only 2 still work there. Everyone else got clipped or quit from the stress.

Advice to Management

The whole management system needs to be overhauled if it's ever going to be anything but a revolving door.

"Customers run the business policies."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entry level employees or the ground floor are very friendly. Most hang out after work.
    Very easy to shift the blame around for lazy employees. Nobody ever gets fired.
    Some growth potential although not as much as it used to be.

Cons

Customers run the whole show. They will gladly throw away and principles or standard practices if someone ways a check around. As a result the actual "workers" get trampled and ignored. Top performers are rewarded with additional work. Bottom people are never taken to task.
    If you enjoy working for sub part salaries while anyone with the title of manager gets over paid this is the place for you. They seem to reward people inverse to their workload. Decision makers are far removed from the process.

Advice to Management

The whole lot should quit or change places with their money makers
     Some real world experience in the trenches would serve well. Do not depend on planners or managers for critical decision s on their product. Also make a good product and people will buy it without the need to sacrifice standards.

"Slow but steady improvement."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Middleton, WI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Middleton, WI

I have been working at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Very exciting products coming out of R&D. Middle management with good vision and dedication to growing resources.

Cons

Upper management sometimes misses the mark with investing in infrastructure and investing in employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to winnow the bottom 10% of talent and continue incentivizing top performers. Invest in efficiencies, both in replacing home grown internal tools and investing in top hardware for the people in the trenches.

Continue to focus on customer satisfaction - only when the customer is happy are we proving our value and strategic partnership.

"Need to respect customers and employees before both are driven away"

I have been working at WTS Paradigm full-time

Pros

Our coworkers are mostly intelligent, motivated, hard-working and overall great to work with. Work/life balance is typically good under most circumstances, with limited "crunch times".

Cons

Management decisions seem to be short-sighted and made with little to no input from those the decisions affect. On top of that, often the same decisions are reversed, leading to confusion and an impression that management doesn't really know what they are doing. The middle managers I have interacted with either don't have the guts to stand up to upper management or legitimately have no authority to make decisions and upper management seem to be unwilling to back them when they try to make decisions, with the typical reason given being "lack of budget".

Salaries are below market averages across all positions, insurance rates are high and keep rising, and raises are typically marginally below inflation unless you have a habit of kissing up to the correct managers (not always your own). Developers, have been leaving in droves over the past 6-9 months and almost none are being replaced. Most remaining developers have either been with the company for 3 years or less, or nearly a decade or more, with few in between. With so many leaving and the amount of "tribal" knowledge that exists in the company with little to no documentation on most topics, there are chunks of information simply cease to exist as people walk out the door. Many other departments are shrinking as well, with the only department that continues to grow being sales.

Customers are treated as cash cows to be milked for every penny. Most major problems in our software remain until someone can find a customer that is impacted enough that they are willing to pay to fix it. Until then, we often do nothing because of a lack of resources, and if we fix it to improve software quality, we can't charge any customer for the work performed. Overall, pride in our software is relatively low and seems to be getting worse as our core product offerings age ungracefully.

According to surveys, our customers at best dislike us and our software, with the primary reason cited being our employees are inexperienced and/or don't know their systems. They feel like they are always speaking to someone new every few months and have to re-train our employees on the specifics of their system, and so have an understandable lack of faith in our abilities. With so many developers leaving and so much analyst turnover, their concerns are more well-founded than they know.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and customers. Stop trying to take advantage of your customers in the short-term or they won't remain for the long-term. Treat your employees with respect and they will sing your praises; the lack of respect combined with sub-par pay and benefits is killing your reputation as an employer, and hurting relationships with customers.

Remember that WTS was founded by listening to customers and being responsive to them unlike our competition at the time. We are fast becoming like those competitors that we forced out of business and if we don't start changing how we do business, another upstart that does will likely replace us.

"Great People, Disorganized Management"

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really fantastic people who work at WTS. There are a lot of fun activities there, like the City Scour and the Holiday Party.
    They have a corner on the market. There are few competitors in this industry, and if they could get beyond the fact that they are their own greatest hurdle, then they have the potential to be a fun, dynamic company that is really going places.

Cons

They nickel and dime their customers, which means you have to nickel and dime your time entry. Every 15 minute increment must be accounted for, and according to pre-set division or company goals, account for a certain percentage of billable time. There is not a focus on customer satisfaction. The software is unwieldy and hard to support. There is so much turnover that it is hard to find answers when you get stuck. Customers end up waiting days for answers that should take hours because of internal issues with finding willing resources to answer questions.
    The management is, I think, aware of the problem, but did nothing of substance to fix the problem. You can re-organize all you want, if you don't address the root cause of the issue, nothing is ever going to be fixed.
    Also, they tend to pigeon hole employees. Only managers get to help out with projects that aren't related to your specific role, and people get bent out of shape if you take on other projects. They are not interested in growing their employees.
    The pay is sub-par for the Madison area.

Advice to Management

The office culture is some of the best around.
    However, all of the camaraderie is squandered when you foster an atmosphere where no one is allowed to help out their co-workers without a valid PID.
    Stop focusing on how much profit you can eke out of each customer and start focusing on creating a really solid base product that is maintainable. Focus on good customer service.
    Restructure your companies profits so they aren't so dependent on selling customers services to fix and implement the over-complicated software that we sold them.

"Avoid WTS if you are experienced PM. There is a very high turnover rate for Project Managers at WTS due to very unrealis"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company events and perks are there to camouflage the long hours of thankless work that will be extracted to cover up poor management. The managers have it great – just look at their review comments.

Cons

The PMO’s expectations are extremely rigid, highly bureaucratic, administratively burdensome, and applied with an immature no-deviation from PMO standards approach. The PMO processes are primarily in place to provide CYA for WTS due to the low quality of its software and/or the highly optimistic sales promises of the WTS sales team. You will work long hours with no reward. WTS (prima Dona) management will blame the PM when things go invariably wrong.

Advice to Management

The current PMO expectations for managing projects are unrealistic. It is high cost/low value, results in poor client relations, and does not scale well. Look at the very high turnover rate for PM’s, which has resulted in a poor reputation as an employer. Manage outcomes rather than absolute compliance with process. The PMO is killing your business, and your client relations.

WTS Paradigm Response

Jan 31, 2014 – Director, Human Resources

WTS Paradigm encourages all employees to provide feedback on how the company can create an engaging work environment and provide exceptional products and services to our customers. We take ... More

"Growing company with great culture and people"

Current Employee - Product Knowledge Analyst in Middleton, WI
    Current Employee - Product Knowledge Analyst in Middleton, WI

I have been working at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Has maintained a small company feel while having consistent growth.

Cons

Company has experienced a lot of growth and is still working through some growing pains.