WWE Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon
Vince McMahon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You will never get bored at this fast paced, high energy company and you will always have an opportunity for growth and development" (in 17 reviews)

• "WWE offers great benefits and opportunities to its employees" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance does not exist" (in 26 reviews)

• "This person being someone who took advantage of a relaxed work environment too, made me hate coming in everyday" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fun and Challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at WWE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- WWE is such a large and dynamic corporation and there are so many potential opportunities spanning different departments: from television production to consumer products and marketing.
    - It is a fast paced environment with an ever-evolving and growing business plan. You are truly kept on your toes and not without a challenge; there is never really an opportunity to become bored or complacent.
    - Compensation and benefits are a healthy package.
    - WWE as a whole does so much for the outside community: Cancer research, Veteran's, Children's organizations, Special Olympics, etc. The impact is truly amazing to witness.
    - Management truly tries to set you up for success and give opportunities to show what employees are capable of. Because of this, expectations are very high to perform at your best. But hard workers who produce quality work thrive and are rewarded with even more opportunities. Management truly rewards the top players over those who simply "do their job".

Cons

- Information and long-range planning is not always pushed down to lower levels until near deadlines which makes the environment more reactive than proactive at times.
    - Interdepartmental conflicts can on few occasion create difficulties in scheduling for projects.
    - Work life balance truly depends on the department you are in. Some departments are your typical weekday workday schedule. Others, specifically on the TV side, are centered around the production schedule, PPVs, or other air dates. But it should be clearly understood going into the job given the live broadcast nature of the Company.

Advice to Management

- continue to recognize and reword the hard workers
    - provide more opportunities to promote personnel across departments
    - promote a "one team" mentality towards a unified goal to disperse interdepartmental issues.

2. "Manager"

I have been working at WWE full-time

Pros

Great place to be challenged, learn and be rewarded for your hard work!

Cons

The division of communication between executives and the employees. Lack of planning. Lack of consistency throughout departments, some are great and some arne't.

Advice to Management

Enable the company to work as a whole, share information throughout all levels.

3. "Associate Producer"

I have been working at WWE full-time

Pros

Great benefits package, opportunities to learn new skills,

Cons

There's a lack of communication between departments

"Toxic, Stressful, High Turnover, Poor Management - Avoid this place!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at WWE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Good health benefits

- Exciting brand

Cons

-Management does not care about the progression of its employees. They look down at people not at their level. During review time you will be told "it's a privilege for you to be working at WWE" “and "hard work doesn’t get you promoted” This is exactly word for word what was told to someone in my department by upper management. Sends a great message to the employees doesn’t it? What motivation is there to work in a place that doesn’t notice or admittedly care about hard work?

- Underpaid and overworked – Because top management does not have a life outside of WWE, it is expected for everyone under them to be on their same schedule. Not answering your cell phone if it rings at 9PM or not answering an email at 10PM would cause major problems the next day. It’s fine if executives choose to live by that lifestyle but expecting it of all their employees is a different thing entirely. Work life balance does not exist. Don’t get caught leaving before 6PM or you will get some serious looks if anyone sees you, don’t think about not taking your work phone on vacation with you, and if you’re an assistant, be prepared to bring your cordless phone into the bathroom with you. Yes, all assistants are required to bring their phones into the bathroom with them because God forbid the phone rings more than 3x.

- High turnover – The turnover rate is unbelievably high. Employees are constantly being let go and every 3 years or so there are major layoffs. There is no job security at all and everyone at the company operates in fear knowing that 1 mistake (large or small) will be judged heavily and it can and will cost you your job. It creates a very stressful environment from top to bottom. Everyone has a fear of making a mistake that no one wants to make a decision.

- Very political – It’s all who you know. There are so many little cliques. It’s like a high school environment where you have to be with the popular group in order to have success. People have literally been let go within their department but because they are friendly with someone high up they are placed within another department even though they are not qualified at all. Most of the time it works the other way where if you are not with the “in” group, you will be very much scrutinized and judged in every single possible way. If you want to get noticed, run up and down the halls while stomping your feet screaming and shouting. It seems to work for some people.

-Disorganization – There is a very high level of disorganization. No one communicates within the company. Departments do not talk to each other and it makes for a very stressful environment since things always need to be done at the very last minute. If something goes wrong, upper management will never take the fall but instead will blame it on whoever they can to make themselves look better. When things go right, obviously they take full credit.

HR- The HR group is not there to support the employees but instead is there to serve as a political piece for the executives. They are a useless group and do not take any employee concerns seriously and will look the other way if a situation is brought up. Everything you say whether its big or small will immediately be reported back to your boss and you will be punished for it. It’s just a big game and you are their pawn.

And lastly, please do not believe any of these fake positive reviews clearly planted by the HR department. All the negative reviews say the same basic things about the company. Believe those and choose a better place to work. One that actually will treat you with respect and value you.

Advice to Management

Value your employees

"TOXIC CORPORATE CULTURE - YOU’VE BEEN WARNED!"

Former Employee - Senior Management in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Stamford, CT

I worked at WWE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no pro to working at WWE— including money— that will be worth the stress and damage you will do to your career.

Cons

Where do I begin?

- Toxic corporate culture that is a vestige of the old-time wrestling business. Like talent, you will be used up until you fall out of favor and then you will be let go.

- Turnover is off the charts. Employees are disposable to WWE management. Both long-term employees and recent hires are fired like its a reality TV show. Some reviews here cite 30% turnover. Zero sentimentally, no matter how long you’ve worked there.

- Zero collegiality in the corporate building. Most employees are miserable from being overworked or fearful of being fired. Except for the company Christmas party, there are no employee gatherings to build a rapport with colleagues. Employees commiserate behind closed doors out of sight from management, just like a prison camp.

- Beware of working for a particular senior executive who has no family or outside interests. This person works until midnight and expects you to be on call 24/7. And god forbid if you have a typo in an email...

- Highly political, toxic corporate culture. If you are not aligned with one of the six executives who truly run WWE, you are vulnerable.

- Insufferable senior executives are more emboldened than ever. Many of them are now multi-millionaires after recently cashing in their stocks. If they didn’t care about rank and file employees before, they definitely won’t now.

- No matter how many years of experience you have, you will be micromanaged and have your judgement constantly questioned, especially if you work in marketing. And don’t forget to ask permission before you expense $40.00 for pizza for your staff. No joke.

- Ignore the positive reviews. Those are planted by HR. Take it from a former employee—negative reviews are 100% accurate.

You’ve been warned.

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow.

"Almost meets my expectation"

Current Employee - Director in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Stamford, CT

I have been working at WWE (More than a year)

Pros

- The most electrifying sports entertainment business in the world with skyrocketing stock price and YoY market cap growth that crushes Amazon.
    - Worklife balance is great. People don't seem to work on Friday here (the office is a ghost town). Mondays and Tuesdays are pretty slow as many people (particularly the event teams and some execs) are just coming back from weekend traveling (many folks travel on sundays attend and manage the WWE televised live events). Wednesdays and Thursdays pretty much slow down from there. And then we're back to Friday!
    - Brings you closer to pro wrestling entertainment. If you love wrestling, this is heaven.
    - Nice colleagues. People are polite and well mannered.
    - The company is actively trying to change for the better (even though it's not quite there yet)

Cons

- Titles, salaries, and staff leveling are inconsistent across the org. Seniority (not meritocracy) rules. There are many talented folks being managed by folks without a lot of talent. Titles are very inflated here. There are tons of directors without direct reports who have little to no management experience. There are a lot of management layers and bureaucracy. There seems to always be a bit of favoritism/bias and political intrigue at play.
    - When you work here, it's hard to transition anywhere else. The other media/tech firms in NYC don't take WWE seriously when they see it on a resume. They don't see WWE as an intellectual business environment. Their perception of WWE is based on the wrestling that they see on TV.
    - Pathetic family leave policy. They've only started giving paternity leave not more than a few years ago. And the paternity leave here is only for 2 weeks. For comparisons, consulting/accounting firms like Deloitte & PwC give you 4 months. European companies like Spotify & Nestle give you 6 months. US Tech companies like Google, FB, eBay, give you 12 weeks.
    - Not a very diverse work environment, if you know what I mean, particularly in the leadership positions.

Advice to Management

Care more for the greater team

"Production assistant"

I worked at WWE full-time

Pros

Teams on the production side work very hard and are great to work with. There are very talented people who really care about others around them. Pay is good, but with long hours but that’s the business. Seamless delivery is an obvious perk and the benefits are greatly appreciated.

Cons

Upper level management seems to look down on those below them. It’s a place where an area can be very inclusive or very toxic dependent on management and VP’s. I really never felt appreciated for the work I was doing. Also, considering I had an employee that I felt was mistreating me and I went to people higher than me 5 times and each time nothing was done. And they stated they knew it was going on. This person being someone who took advantage of a relaxed work environment too, made me hate coming in everyday.
    I found it very weird that HR requested that I go on Glassdoor and please right a positive review about 2 months into the job. Then a year in, when I come forward and let known things within the company that bothered me.. then I was let go; I felt extremely bothered by this.

Advice to Management

I honestly don’t know what to tell you, you’re a employee driven business, needing the hard work of all the departments but you have a good way of looking past people who are having a rough time. I feel you are stuck in your ways and try to make it seem like you care for others but you really just want people to think you do.

"Luisi Strikes Again"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at WWE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits (health, 401k, paid vacation, etc.)

Cons

Very poor people management (stemming from the Harvey Weinstein/Miramax days - I heard the President has a brutal nickname in Hollywood that I will not divulge for slanderous purposes), all employees go above and beyond - wearing multiple hats, but management has an unwillingness to learn what each employee does, and they don't replace people when they are gone, just make others absorb their duties. Corporate does not support this office, HR and IT have failed us multiple times. Even after security flaws and theft. After almost a decade, I've contacted them several times with serious complaints, they'll tell you to "quit" because it's a "hostile environment". Um........really? You won't help to correct that? Isn't that your job? It's that good old boy NY corporate mentality. HR has been to our office twice - once to replace the president and another to "see how we're doing" after 4 employees quit, back to back to back to back, over 4 weeks this year, going to better companies. Titanic meet ice burg - or maybe the ship is already starting to split in half. Pretty sad for a "billon dollar company".

Advice to Management

Learn what your employees do and how they are assets and valuable to your team. Don't just point out the pitfalls - celebrate the wins (big $$$ deal delivered on time to save the studios but no fanfare, only threats when it was in jeopardy for a short time). Make it a priority to replace positions when people leave - there should be an overlap so others can come in seamlessly. From a corporate standpoint, stop sugar coating with your basic responses (I see your responses to the other poor reviews and it leaves much to be desired). After run-ins with lawyers on past employees quitting, you should be much more aware about what goes on here. Once when a disgruntled employee left, they tried NOT to pay vacation days. CA laws says they're earned............They treated one of their best employees like dirt, several times over, so we've lost several good people. But no one from HR ever followed up. ......

WWE Response

May 3, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Please reach out to us at wwecareers@wwecorp.com to discuss your feedback

"DO NOT WORK HERE. 30% Employee turnover rate per year. TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK."

Former Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader in Stamford, CT

I worked at WWE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Recognizable company brand. Looks good on a resume, but not worth it. There are no pros to working here. Don’t be lured in by HR or recruiters. Everyone there is absolutely miserable every day. Reach out to any network to find a former employee and they’ll give you an honest assessment of the environment.

Cons

Every employee is disposable. Toxic environment. Zero ability to contribute. You’re there to do as you’re told. You either get fired or get absolutely burnt out. There is 30% employee turnover there every year. Ask the company about it. Average length of employment is 18-24 months.

Advice to Management

There is none. It has been the same since it’s inception and will never change. It’s a top down organization with senior management cultivating an environment of fear. Stop having HR post positive Glassdoor reviews or asking new hires to post positive workplace reviews.

"Bad environment but a fun brand"

Pros

The brand was fun to be a part of. Live entertainment kept work busy.

Cons

Managers are not nice. Most people are unhappy. Very political environment and no one really knows what is going on. Very stressful and unfriendly. People get fired a lot.

Advice to Management

Get better managers especially in the marketing area.