Wabash National Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wabash National President, CEO, and Director Richard J. Giromini
Richard J. Giromini

1. "It's definitely a unique place to work!"

Current Employee - Assembler in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Assembler in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a good benefits package and good pay! Between my 18th and 19th birthday, I had made over $37,000 which is pretty good money at that age!

Shortly before I turned 20, I had bought a car and lived in my own home. The work is hard but it keeps you in shape and gives you the ability to start a life for yourself!

They also give you the ability to move up in the company. I've seen associates become supervisors in less than two years!

Cons

There is A LOT of bull crap that comes with working at Wabash National. Almost like being back in high school. You have to be able to take it and often give it back, otherwise you most definitely will not make it.

Most of the jobs here are repetitive and sometimes boring so having a good imagination is helpful in getting time to fly

May sometimes have to work 8-12 hours a shift. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard people tell me that the company has no right to make them work 8+ hours in a day or that they are going to take points and leave early. I did too when I started because nobody told me that they often make production run over 8 hours. So be prepared to work overtime!

Advice to Management

Treat the associates with respect, switch them from area to area every now and then, and for Pete's sake PLEASE raise your standards for future employees. The hiring process at Wabash National is a joke. The reason why we have such a high turnover rate is because the people we hire are often NOT qualified to run ENTRY level positions in a manufacturing plant that uses big machinery and equipment to assemble complex trailers. I have unfortunately seen and worked with people (some that were/are in management) who are unable to read a tape measure, follow safety rules and regulations, or are just plain lazy all the time, and they end up messing up a trailer(s), hurting themselves and/or others, or quitting.

2. "Overall a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Wabash National (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is on the up-swing of innovation and acquisition. Record breaking profits in recent years.

Cons

If you are looking for a job, this is a good place to check out. I feel they could pay hourly employees a little better to become more competitive with manufacturing job seekers.

3. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Elroy, WI
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Elroy, WI

I have been working at Wabash National full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady work lots of overtime

Cons

Lots of animosity between shifts

Advice to Management

Listen to the workers hold people accountable that don't want to change

"More give and not so much take"

Current Employee - Assembler/Assembler Coordinator/Operator Coordinator in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pays not bad. Getting paid weekly. The easy hire on process. Plenty of chances to try to succeed.

Cons

The hours and days and weeks spent here. Moving up is like pulling teeth. There is a lot of favoritism. Not all the policies get followed by everyone, the Supervisors and upper management can choose which ones they wish to enforce. The turn around rate is crazy.

"Production Associate/Fabrication Operator"

I have been working at Wabash National full-time

Pros

Good group of employees. Realy hard working and congenial attitude

Cons

Terrible working conditions. Benefits package is lacking to non-existent. They will try to hold back your promotions for as long as possible while requiring you to do the work.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth This is 2015 not 1864.

7. "Not a bad Place to work."

Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in Monticello, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in Monticello, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of Overtime if wanted without issue

Cons

Lack of Advancement Opportunities due to shifting of unqualified associates/coordinators/supervisors to departments where they lack the technical skills and experience to perform.

Lack of Technical Educational Opportunities which when made available are not awarded to dedicated associates but are instead extended to Salaried Personnel as Resume enhancement.

Advice to Management

Promote Associates by Ability , in their Departments but not base promotions solely on time in service.

"Wouldn't recommend company to worst enemy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfort, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfort, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time

Pros

They do offer Affordable health insurance and if you like over time you will get A LOT and I mean a LoT

Cons

They lie all the time
    Horrible communication
    Too much overtime - you can't plan for anything outside of work cause you have to work all the time
    Too hot with not enough air flow
    They daily run out of parts causing a lot of down time and the equipment is always failing or having a shortage
    It's really hard on your body physically
    They do NOT treat everyone the same even though they claim they do.
    You will have to fight to have days off without penalty

9. "This place is a joke"

Current Employee - Clyder in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Clyder in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy hard work, you will like this job at first.

Cons

I worked here for 10 months and only got to learn two jobs. I worked as a Clyder (a jack-hammer type of equipment that put screws into the floor) for 9 months until they finally took me off the floor to learn the Floor Drill Gantry. Clyding is by far the most physically demanding job at Wabash and should be avoided at all costs. My whole body felt like it was falling apart after 4 straight months of this job. At first I busted my butt thinking I would get noticed for my hard work but all they do is take full advantage of this. The lazy people work even less so that you are forced to pick up the slack. I was even told by established workers there to slow down my work otherwise I would have to do more work. What a terrible method of doing your job!

This is suppose to be a tobacco free campus but most everybody smokes in the parking lot and chews while on the job. I usually wouldn't care but they would spit on the floor and would throw their chew on the floor too. It was disgusting and smelled terrible. I was amazed to hear that English was the second language here. It was extremely hard to communicate with 60% of my co-workers because they spoke little to no English.

For the hard work you put in and the fact that this is a $2 billion company, their pay is horrendous! $12 to start out, 6 years to cap off, $1000 annual bonus, and no incentives. The average warehouse pay is $15 in Indiana and most give 6 month raises with incentives for hitting certain numbers. Not to mention the bonus pay for the an office position is $10,000 annually.

Advice to Management

Major overhaul needs to be done from the ground up. Training needs to be extended to a full week to train for ALL the jobs at the warehouse.

10. "im a forklift driver also a crane operator and receiving handler."

Current Employee - Forklift Driver in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Forklift Driver in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

at one time the employer took care of their good workers. not any more

Cons

trying to keep the lines working doing my job and other people jobs. some people come to work to play I come here to do a job and I take my work serious.

Advice to Management

you come to work to be people supervisor not their friends if you mix the two together on the job it can cause serious problems.

11. "this company is great to work with. They care about there employees and family."

Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Wabash National full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This has company has great benefits, very professional, great pay

Cons

none. they are great company

Advice to Management

yes advancements are possible every day.