Wacker Chemical Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2020

3.2
Wacker Chemical President and CEO Rudolf Staudigl (no image)
Rudolf Staudigl
Pros
Cons
  • "Everyone is very focused on their own projects and sometimes need a push from upper management to get things done(in 3 reviews)

• "Low morale, no career opportunities, promotions based on moving the problem to someone else(in 3 reviews)

1. "Supportive of Growth"

Current Employee - Marketing in Adrian, MI

I have been working at Wacker Chemical full-time for less than a year

Pros

Family values, fair pay, decent benefits

Cons

little vacation time per year

2. "Career-Oriented"

4.0
    Former Employee - Scheduler/Buyer in Adrian, MI

I worked at Wacker Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company to spend a career

Cons

More options to balance work/life needed

"Overall decent"

I worked at Wacker Chemical full-time

Pros

This all varies per department. Fairly easy work, laid back atmosphere, safety conscious. Supervisors who listen to operators and communicate concerns. Approachable management. Very clean facilities. Consistent encouragement to ask questions on process knowledge. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

Bad communications with HR. lost employees due to miscommunication of pay progression. Pay progression was then decreased months after an initial pay progression was released!(less money). Too long of pay progression. Failing polysilicon market in solar industry. Too many unnecessary employees in upper management and in the offices(I've seen someone go out for runs and come back drenched as if they were gone for quite some time). Very slow with training courses that are classroom or hands on (new employees neglected with reasonable training times to perform necessary job functions.) Unprofessional actions are overlooked and generally not punished (inappropriate relationships between bosses and lower ranked employees). Unqualified people hired

Continue reading

"Not a pleasant place to work right now"

2.0
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Charleston, TN

I worked at Wacker Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits 6% 401k match Hard-working, smart people at all levels but often they are restricted from making real progress due to company politics

Cons

Lack of professionalism in HR - they are always behind, fail to respond to employees in a timely manner, are disrespectful to employees who are trying to apply for internal jobs in that they will never follow up or give employees any information about why they were not selected for a job. They give little regard to departing employees suggesting that they don't even care to fix reasons why employees were dissatisfied in the first place. Gender Inequality/Diversity Issues- Firstly, Wacker does not do a good job of diversity hiring. Employees are primarily white men which probably partially reflects the working demographic of the state of Tennessee. Regardless of that, I have witnessed both gender bias(negative comments about women) and unfair pay for women relative to men in equal positions. I discovered that a man with equal experience to me but one degree lower in education with similar performance ratings was given a raise and making significantly more money than I was. I took this issue to my managers and HR and eventually they did give me a raise but would have been fine underpaying me relative to men in similar positions unless I had spoken up. Management is poorly trained - Wacker seems to think that anyone can be a manager and they will repeatedly promote people without any real management training. This results in a hierarchy of poor managers who seem to be mostly self-interested (and frequently overwhelmed). Due to lack of management skills, they do not handle employees well and employee dissatisfaction just snowballs. Additionally they will allow upper-level managers to promote favorites who do not deserve promotions. If you're lower in the hierarchy, you will have little to no say over who gets hired to work for you. HR, with no real idea of what field experience is required for a position, will likely push you around to meet their end goals. Failing polysilicon market - the company is in significant financial struggles right now due to the failing solar polysilicon market. Due to this, as people quit/leave or get fired, fewer and fewer are being replaced leaving those left behind with even more responsibilities. Danger levels of understaffing in a plant with an already blighted safety record. Additionally, they are very degree-focused. If you do not have the right education you will be underpaid or not promoted, EVEN if you have been doing the work of a higher-level position due to the understaffing/employee retention problems. Pay is not great for the industry but not terrible for Tennessee based on cost of living. Probably too much money goes to upper level German managers who don't really do that much actual work. Safety culture - Wacker's safety record is pretty poor thus far with one major explosion and several smaller chemical releases. They are lucky no one has been killed. There is a lack of uniformity with regards to safety from one department to another with each production manager seeming to operate on a level of hubris in which they are "always correct". "Standard" procedures are followed to different degrees in different departments. If you end up in a safety-conscious department, great. If not, good luck making any changes. Your managers will likely label you as a complainer and you'll effectively be black-listed from any future promotions.

Continue reading
  5. "Overall not the best"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Adrian, MI

I have been working at Wacker Chemical full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere. Not hard work

Cons

Becoming bored do to the lack of work for interns

"Change is coming, and I hope it is in the right direction."

Current Employee - Scientist in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Wacker Chemical full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been working at Wacker for a couple years now. So far, I feel that I personally have been greatly rewarded. -There are opportunities for international business travel, and company culture allows you to have fun on these adventures. -There are many opportunities to take on new, exciting work or do something different. -Wacker is hungry for new people, and this makes it a nice place for younger workers to start their career. -401K Match, health insurance, and dental are all good. I have heard vision is mediocre (bundled with health), but I haven’t needed it yet. -My coworkers are generally great to work with, and people try their best to be helpful. -There are occasional surprise benefits granted to perk things up every now and then. -Upper management is visible and fairly approachable. You may even meet members of the global executive board.

Cons

-Although my pay has been quite good so far, others frequently complain about low salaries. -Despite claiming to strive for being “the employer of choice” the executives directly state they are aiming for average PTO and vacation. This coupled with sometimes low base pay leads to inconsistent messaging. -The regional executives often seem out of touch and are not always professional in their communications sent through mass emails especially. This causes anything negative to be exacerbated and creates persistent negative atmospheres from time to time. -I feel the organization is bloated at the top: too many managers for too few “productive” staff, and the middle managers do not seem very well-rounded or capable in many cases. -All benefits increase markedly as you move up the ladder, and so for lower ranking workers it can feel as though you are in a different caste. Base pay is better of course, but the bonus percentage of base pay is also higher and in some cases automatically doubled vacation. Since vacation is granted according to a strict policy, you cannot negotiate for more and are stuck waiting for 10 years (within the company) to achieve the same level. Even with a bloated management structure, at best 1/4 to 1/3 of employees will ever benefit from those higher tiers of rewards. -The company is not very accommodating to new parents. -Some company systems are outdated or incredibly old-fashioned, and this leads to inefficiencies. -If you work in Adrian the atmosphere can be rather gloomy. I work at another location where it is much better.

7. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Wacker Chemical full-time

Pros

Great culture and friendly people.

Cons

It is tough to get hired

8. "Enjoyable Workspace"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Adrian, MI

I worked at Wacker Chemical full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is in a good status, and have a sincere desire to treat their customer's well.

Cons

No real cons come to mind.

"Sag nein zu diesem sinkenden Schiff"

1.0

I worked at Wacker Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a huge company There are some great people

Cons

They don't let the Americans lead the efforts locally, the ego and politics of leadership supersedes what's right and bureaucracy is widespread and chronic. You will meet production milestones and still get subpar bonuses, 2% cost of living raises Even after the event, the take aways still aren't being addressed. It is only a matter of time before something happens again due to bad decision making and poor PSM Over 65% turnover in the Engineering department, best practices and sound Engineering principles are not followed because the only priority is production, ALWAYS.

10. "Excellent"

I have been working at Wacker Chemical full-time

Pros

Excellent place to work. Nice people.

Cons

Some safety issues, but management taking charge.

Found 54 reviews