Waffle House Reviews | Glassdoor

Waffle House Reviews

Updated June 28, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Waffle House Chairman and CEO Joe W. Rogers Jr.
Joe W. Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Its good to work at waffle house because you meet new people everyday (in 48 reviews)

• Free food, get to cook as much as I want (in 45 reviews)

Cons

1. "It's hard work. But you learn a lot about diversity"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Smyrna, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Regular customers who become like friends you've known your whole life. Great benefits available through WH, if you can afford them. A schedule that allows a great work-life balance for hourly associates. Upper Management will step in to resolve any conflicts you have with Unit Management or hourly associates if you are unable to handle any issues yourself.

Cons

Extremely physical work. Old fashioned system that does not fit with today's
    "get it instantly" mentality which can be frustrating to both hourly associates and customers. Too many conflicts among hourly associates that go unresolved by unit management. A lot of complaining on the floor by hourly associates which can make for a miserable work environment if you don't know how to deal with it.

Advice to Management

Customers come first. Train your employees the basics of customer service and watch your sales go up! Keep employees motivated by saying thank you with a sincere tone regularly. Catch your employees doing something RIGHT for a change... don't always focus on the negative.

2. "Thankless Job"

Former Employee - Server in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Plano, TX

I worked at Waffle House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers can be great, of course there are customers that will make you hate them as well. The regular customers will tip you well and make the job worth it at times.

Cons

Cleaning up after lazy co workers that act like they don't see the disgusting mess that they made. Never getting a thank you for going the extra mile to do something that should've been done by at least 10 other people. Never knowing how much you actually get paid for anything since any bonuses just change your pay rate on your paycheck instead of being listed separately.

Advice to Management

Take care of the employees that actually take care of your customers. Don't offer bonuses that you can deliver. Don't tell employees that they are an asset to the company only to make the rules only apply to them.

"no quality of life"

Current Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, PTO, advancement opportunities, upline is good.

Cons

work 80+ hrs per week, no overtime pay. nights, weekends, and holidays, employees call you at all hrs, constantly.

"Waffle House"

Former Employee - District Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - District Manager in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Waffle House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is great. There is room for advancement.

Cons

Management works about 80 hours a week.

"unite manager"

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good for first year out of college student
    the higher you move up the pay increases significantly
    you can be off of work by 230 every day if everyone shows up on time
    you have to do something completely dumb to get fired
    3 vacations per year

Cons

24hr 365 job even on your off days
    you work a 6-2 which is work 6 days then off two except holidays which is a 7-1
    you work every holiday and i mean every holiday
    you still manage the store even when your not there and your off
    hiring people is harder then it looks and when you do the cream of the crop is not to creamy.
    upper management is generic all they care about is store profits regardless of how you have to get it.
    my store was robbed 3 times in 7 months. the security here is awful
    they want to write up everybody for everything pushing employees away and bad mouthing the company which makes it even harder to hire.
    upper management shows favoritism
    The pay plan constantly changes for the worse
    you are a highly paid cook!!!! you are in position to cook, serve and manage all at the same time while ordering trucks, controlling theft, and doing schedules and health inspection evaluations daily.
    all in all doooo not work here unless you have absolutely no life, no kids, no husband r wife, or no options

Advice to Management

until the culture and concept of the company is able to compete with the new world of 2017 and 1960s no one will stay working their. The pay is ok but not great for what you have to deal with. this job literally killed a manager i knew

"Server"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, GA

I worked at Waffle House part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food on the shift

Cons

No money on second shift and rude coworkers

Advice to Management

Fire the evil employees that do nothing but eat on their shift

"Unit Manager over worked!"

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay. can move up in the company quicker then most companies.

Cons

60-70 hours per week. on call 24 hours a day 6 days a week. 1 manager per unit with 18-25 employees and no real help from upper mangement. All upper management does is point out all your mistakes without support. Days off are a joke. You get phone calls from work every day... thats if you dont get screwed out of your days off.

Advice to Management

assistant managers!!!! Cooks are not assistant mangement!!

"Cook"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Waffle House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly pay and vacation check

Cons

Negative work environment, ineffective management, lack of overall teamwork

Advice to Management

Work on organization

"There's a reason many W.H. associates never become Managers...they know better"

Current Employee - Manager in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Manager in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the Waffle House food you care to eat- more or less. In my experience, The best part of the business is the customers, especially the regulars. I enjoying cooking and interacting with people, getting to know my customers, new and old.

Cons

Pay has never come close to what was explained to me during hiring that other area Unit Managers were making. Pay still is not meeting what was "guaranteed" for my first year as a Unit Manager. I spend way too many hours working and answering phone calls and messages from my staff because they can never seem to think for themselves or solved problems without involving me. Plus, the extra work i am being told I need to do to accurately track and remedy my food cost, sales and other problems, will require even more hours and nights away from home- and I already work 60 -70 hrs a week. Some managers seem to like the job and see it as easy, I would have to disagree. This has been the hardest, most stressful, and unnecessarily demanding job I've worked.

Advice to Management

Please get into the 21st century with your technology and operating procedures! Upgrading computers and software and making changes to some of the ways we operate and manage our business needs to be a priority. Hand-written, Hand-priced tickets may be neat and unique, but it leaves much to be desired when trying to accurately track and manage food costs and sales. Not to mention, it also leaves a lot of room for errors, waste and theft. Work on ways to help Unit and District Managers be more efficient and work less. Work on finding ways to attract better quality servers- higher pay, bonuses or maybe a program for servers that is similar to the Elvis on the Grill we have for cooks. In my experience, its the servers who first set the tone and can really make or break the business- especially as it pertains to food cost and sales.

10. "waiter, dishwasher, maintenance, and cashier"

Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Brandon, FL

I worked at Waffle House part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

get a lot of face time with customers. teaches you a new set of skills.

Cons

all the work including trash, food, restrooms, etc are handled by so few staff that mistakes happen quite often and sometimes it's a bad slip up.

Advice to Management

add new positions for specific tasks such as dishwasher, janitor, etc and the pos systems need updated badly.