Waffle House Reviews | Glassdoor

Waffle House Reviews

Updated June 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Its good to work at waffle house because you meet new people everyday (in 48 reviews)

• Free food, get to cook as much as I want (in 42 reviews)

1. "Has potential"

Current Employee - Grill Operator in Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Grill Operator in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, bonuses, stock options, cheap meal, easy job.

Cons

Mentally Taxing, Unstable management, a lot of favoritism. Unstable schedule depending on projected sales.

Advice to Management

Unit - Treat your employees well that don't make you have to find someone to cover their shift every day

Division +
    Work on coaching Unit/District managers more.

Come up with an Assistant manager position, Unit Managers have too much to do to efficiently do everything you want.

Fix the scheduling system. There should never be just a Unit Manager and 3 sales people. I think every morning shift should have a cook regardless of projected sales, you will never increase sales with rushed food provided by the UM because they have to run to the back to finish unloading the truck before cooking the next order.

Adapt, this is not 1955 anymore, work on updating a few things.

"If you have no family or life, this is the company for you!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Waffle House full-time

Pros

Other than the free food and regular customers, that is about the only good thing about working at WH. Turnover is extremely high - which explains why there is such a good opportunity for advancement.

Cons

As a MANAGER - THEY OWN YOU! On paper, it looks like good pay for managers, the reality is that you work 6 out of 7 days, are on call 24 hours a day, average about 14-16 physical hours per day, work EVERY holiday, if the cash register or inventory audit comes up short (everyone has access to cash register)-- as a Manager YOU PAY for the shortage!! The have a NO JERK policy for how management and upper management can treat employees (seriously, that is what it's called) -- yet it is never enforced. Finding good employees that actually show up for a shift, aren't potheads, and work is nearly impossible to find or keep.

Advice to Management

The entire management system needs to be overhauled - definitely needs an assistant manager position. Training is less than desirable.

3. "Truthfully I still love this job"

Former Employee - Master Grill Operator in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Master Grill Operator in Smyrna, GA

I worked at Waffle House full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, if you develop a sense of flow the only hard part of the job is the consistency of orders, especially during holidays, scheduling is somewhat flexible

Cons

If you have kids(newborn); I wouldn't recommend working a 3rd shift, if working 3rd prepare to be mentally drained throughout the night if you aren't busy, if working 3rd your work is sometimes overlook and underrated, if you work 2nd, half of the time you will be cleaning(to me 2ND is a cleaning shift).

Advice to Management

I understand you guys are running a business but you only know what you can see, I suffered horribly working 3rd shift and having to be up most of the time during the day because of my newborn.
    I understand you guys are running a business but you guys overlook the people actually working hard and overrate people not doing Jack swat.
    I under stand you guys are running a business, but you guys are trying to manipulate me and my life, by making it seem like I'm not a reliable and a slack worker when I've gave waffle house my life and all I got in return was a manager not believing my life situations.

4. "Costly insurance"

Current Employee - Server in Stockbridge, GA
    Current Employee - Server in Stockbridge, GA

I have been working at Waffle House (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's not anything good about it

Cons

Don't pay well and insurance coverage in bad. They take out back insurance on every week since last year so I call to find out why. They tell me it's because I can not afford it that I don't make enough money so I try to drop it. She tells me I can't so I tell her my check is zero every week because of them I have no check and I can't pay my bills that way she said it is not her problem. Very rude people in corporate office I'm calling the insurance commissar I'm sick of this.

Advice to Management

None

5. "Unit Manager"

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Southport, IN
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Southport, IN

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Meal When You Work
    Bonuses

Cons

Long Hours
    24 Hours
    Calls at odd Hours

Advice to Management

Be prepared for lots of calls at all hours of the day.

6. "Well it is what it is"

Current Employee - Unit Manager Trainee in Milton, FL
    Current Employee - Unit Manager Trainee in Milton, FL

I have been working at Waffle House (Less than a year)

Pros

Crews are great, customers are amusing

Cons

The only way you get your promised pay is working 15hours overtime every week.

Advice to Management

Once a "trainee" graduates WHU they should be salaried as they are a certified manager now.

7. "My salary"

Current Employee - GA Georgia in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - GA Georgia in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, great benefits , fun customers , great money as long as your customers know when you work. Very relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

No holidays with family, mandatory to work all major holidays. Pay scales determined by favoritism. Teams are torn apart once established to prevent comfortability and complacency

Advice to Management

I have the knowledge however no advancement opportunities to me.

8. "great company"

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great company ! great environment and room to move up.

Cons

work every weekend and every holiday.

Advice to Management

na

9. "Thankless Job"

Former Employee - Server in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Plano, TX

I worked at Waffle House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers can be great, of course there are customers that will make you hate them as well. The regular customers will tip you well and make the job worth it at times.

Cons

Cleaning up after lazy co workers that act like they don't see the disgusting mess that they made. Never getting a thank you for going the extra mile to do something that should've been done by at least 10 other people. Never knowing how much you actually get paid for anything since any bonuses just change your pay rate on your paycheck instead of being listed separately.

Advice to Management

Take care of the employees that actually take care of your customers. Don't offer bonuses that you can deliver. Don't tell employees that they are an asset to the company only to make the rules only apply to them.

10. "district manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - District Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

fun and fast paced environment

Cons

terrible employee base with poor and ineffective mangement

Advice to Management

uphold all of the policies and you will thrive