Wag Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
David Appel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great pet care experience."

Former Employee - Shift Lead
    Former Employee - Shift Lead

I worked at Wag Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear expectations, support from management, great staff, dogs. It did not take long to acclimate to the Wag way, and once I did, I could rely on consistency and support from management.

Furthermore, when I dealing with some severe health issues in my family, Wag was really supportive, top-down. Unfortunately, I had to leave Wag because of those health issues.

Cons

Irregular hours, long park time for ADP. However, the irregular hours come with the territory. Some people like being in a park for six hours, but it's not for me ("All day play" was a different section of the staff while I worked there).

Advice to Management

Continue the process you've used for staff development. I've never felt as invested in our as valued for my input as I did at Wag.

2. "It keeps getting worse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wag Hotels part-time

Pros

-If you love dogs, it's the place to be
    -Pretty much everyone there loves dogs as well

Cons

-The thing is, this place takes in way to many dogs than it can handle, therefore proper care cannot be guaranteed and many "guests" fall through the cracks and certain things cannot get done right.

-Things are literally falling apart, as in crates, air conditioning,the gates that are meant to keep the dogs in an inclosed area, and stuff like that.

-I want to just emphasize how we have WAY too many dogs than we can handle. Playgroups and ADP especially, which stuffs about 30-40 dogs in a small room with one person.

-Concerning "aggressive" dogs, WAG is VERY lenient on dogs that are a potential harm to others. It doesn't matter much to them if a dog has been known to attack other dogs or constantly get in fights, as long as the owners are paying they'll throw their dog into a room with thirty other dogs during playtime and cross their fingers nothing bad happens this time.

-Communication between the different staff departments and management could be a lot better. Although we should all be in the same loop, considering we're all employees of the same company, important information is always left out and we are not always on the same page as we should be.

-Employee turnover rate is bad. We're always getting groups of new people, but we also lose groups of people. Also, training and support for new employees can be SO much better as we often get badly trained employees who are still struggling on the job two months in.

-These days, its honestly been a big hot mess at WAG SF, for so many more reasons.

Advice to Management

-Touch base with ALL your employees to make sure we're on the same place.
    -Make sure trainees are being properly trained and offer support to employees
    - Keep up with hotel maintenance

3. "Great to work with animals, but poorly managed company"

Former Employee - Client Services Team Member in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services Team Member in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Wag Hotels part-time

Pros

-You get to work with great animals
    -Coworkers are super nice and friendly people
    -You get interesting stories working here
    -Interaction with lots of people every day

Cons

-The employees get no training about how to work with animals! When you are around hundreds of animals every day, you need to know the best ways to approach them. The front staff needs to know this too.
    -Hours were managed very poorly. You don't find out your hours until every Sunday, which makes it impossible to make plans for the coming weeks. At one point I requested time off, it was approved,, and then they forgot and scheduled me for those days anyway. Created a huge mess.
    -Quite a hectic environment. This can be good because it can make the time pass faster, but if you are looking for a slower paced environment, do not work here.
    -Insanely fast turnover which leads to a lot of confusion behind the scenes

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns of your staff! Try harder to hold onto your employees, and don't hire every single person who applies

4. "Very bizarre company to be completely honest"

Former Employee - All Day Play Handler in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - All Day Play Handler in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wag Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-When Wag says "always hiring", they really mean it. They are always onboarding new staff for training. (Read below for why this is also a con.)
    -The staff is very friendly and you are guaranteed to make friends with your coworkers, which is nice.
    -Of course, working with dogs is a huge pro. The dogs are wonderful.
    -I couldn't really think of any other pros aside from getting a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

-irregular, unpredictable hours (had mine cut by 10 hours and then by multiple days without warning)
    -literally a dozen trainees at any given time, which slows the function of the entire business
    -super high turn over rate
    -the building is falling into disrepair, i.e. cheap fencing that is constantly breaking; chipping paint on the floors and chipping drywall, both of which the dogs eat; unsafe exposed rusty metal and wires; porous brick walls in the play rooms which can't really ever be sanitary; many broken webcams in rooms; rooms with damaged, bent, or broken feeding slots; rusty drain grates that the dogs walk over for hours and hours all day in the ADP rooms; every inch of the building is absolutely caked in dust that is never removed
    -there is a lack of sufficient ventilation throughout the entire building, which I'm sure is just as tortuous for the animals as it is for the staff
    -irregular disciplinary action (some staff get in trouble for things that other staff do not, and the discipline is different depending on which manager you talk to, etc.)
    -schedules come out on tuesday, and only go from friday-thursday, which makes planning your life around work nearly impossible
    -because the building is so large and houses so many animals at once, we have a very large staff. with such a huge amount of people in the building at any given time, it's hard to guarantee the highest quality care possible for your pets, because management simply can't watch everyone at once- the employees or the animals.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a business! Respect your staff and treat them equally. Use consistent disciplinary action. It's hard to say that the company/management itself isn't the issue when there's such an insanely high turn over rate.
    Also, take care of the building. Please.

"Alarming"

I worked at Wag Hotels part-time

Pros

Only Pro is the Dogs and Cats.

Cons

Working with students
    People fighting with each other
    Childish behavior from everyone
    No one will show you the ropes your basically lost
    Management more concerned with the front " Good Look"
    Graveyard shift person was highly unstable, very scary
    So many pets in this place there is no way they can be taken care of in a good way

Advice to Management

I have none because nothing will change.

6. "Client Service Rep"

I worked at Wag Hotels full-time

Pros

Working with wonderful clients and their pets. Getting to provide a top notch service in a fun environment.

Cons

Long hours, stressful, no support from upper management to help reach goals that were set.

7. "Do Not Groom Here"

Former Employee - Dog Groomer
    Former Employee - Dog Groomer

I worked at Wag Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Standard commission rate

Cons

-No consideration for your health or the health of your animals. (i.e. Exposure to kennel cough with no warning, trying to make you groom dogs with massive/open infections, leaving bloody bandages on break room tables for days at a time)
    -If you try to fix reoccurring problems you are shut down because "There's been problems with booking for over three years"
    -Appointments are set and managed by people that have no grooming experience and refuse to read booking notes left by groomers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your groomer's suggestions.

8. "Horrible Pet Boarding and Employment."

I worked at Wag Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with dogs and great people.

Cons

Management is horrible.
    Training is none existent.
    Hours are horrible.
    Wages are so convoluted and unfair.
    WILL LIE ABOUT SERVICES THEY PROVIDE!!!!
    "Trained" to lie to clients about medications and feedings.
    Over a terrible environment for both pets and people.

Advice to Management

Get your act together or remove those in charge of RWC. Sinking ship.

"There for the pups but still a business"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Wag Hotels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's gratifying to be helping out pets, especially when they can sometimes be stressed out because they are away from their owners.

Cons

High employee turnover so it's hard to make lasting work relationships. It's a business so it prioritizes profits over anything else.

Advice to Management

Be more dog-focused, less sales-focused

10. "Terrible Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Wag Hotels part-time

Pros

-Lots of quality time with dogs and cats that you grow attached to
    -Fun and relatable staff (non-managers) that are easy to talk to
    - Hands on experience with cleaning protocol

Cons

- Lack of communication between staff and managers
    - Underappreciated staff and inappropriate measures of employee feedback
    -HIGH Turnover like no other!
    -No protection nor assessment of aggressive animals allowed within the play areas
    -No training given to employees on animal behavior and handling
    -Lack of training to new employees
    -Managers that don't help during chaotic periods
    - Parts and equipment within the facility are falling apart and not cared for in timely manner

Advice to Management

Please value the good employees that you have. In my time at WAG I had seen way too many good employees feel compelled to quit or were fired for unjust reasons. Those placed within management should learn to communicate with employees regularly and in a polite manner. Staff are not children, nor should they be talked down to as such.Certain employee favoritism is something the staff definitely notices and dislikes. Lending a helping hand during high peak times is crucial. That means not ordering take-out and watching the entire place burn when swamped with customers. Probably one of the worst jobs that I ever worked and am glad to have found other realms within the animal world to provide my time and love.