Wag Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Appel

1. "Great pet care experience."

Former Employee - Shift Lead
    Former Employee - Shift Lead

I worked at Wag Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear expectations, support from management, great staff, dogs. It did not take long to acclimate to the Wag way, and once I did, I could rely on consistency and support from management.

Furthermore, when I dealing with some severe health issues in my family, Wag was really supportive, top-down. Unfortunately, I had to leave Wag because of those health issues.

Cons

Irregular hours, long park time for ADP. However, the irregular hours come with the territory. Some people like being in a park for six hours, but it's not for me ("All day play" was a different section of the staff while I worked there).

Advice to Management

Continue the process you've used for staff development. I've never felt as invested in our as valued for my input as I did at Wag.

2. "Horrible Pet Boarding and Employment."

I worked at Wag Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with dogs and great people.

Cons

Management is horrible.
    Training is none existent.
    Hours are horrible.
    Wages are so convoluted and unfair.
    WILL LIE ABOUT SERVICES THEY PROVIDE!!!!
    "Trained" to lie to clients about medications and feedings.
    Over a terrible environment for both pets and people.

Advice to Management

Get your act together or remove those in charge of RWC. Sinking ship.

3. "Terrible Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Wag Hotels part-time

Pros

-Lots of quality time with dogs and cats that you grow attached to
    -Fun and relatable staff (non-managers) that are easy to talk to
    - Hands on experience with cleaning protocol

Cons

- Lack of communication between staff and managers
    - Underappreciated staff and inappropriate measures of employee feedback
    -HIGH Turnover like no other!
    -No protection nor assessment of aggressive animals allowed within the play areas
    -No training given to employees on animal behavior and handling
    -Lack of training to new employees
    -Managers that don't help during chaotic periods
    - Parts and equipment within the facility are falling apart and not cared for in timely manner

Advice to Management

Please value the good employees that you have. In my time at WAG I had seen way too many good employees feel compelled to quit or were fired for unjust reasons. Those placed within management should learn to communicate with employees regularly and in a polite manner. Staff are not children, nor should they be talked down to as such.Certain employee favoritism is something the staff definitely notices and dislikes. Lending a helping hand during high peak times is crucial. That means not ordering take-out and watching the entire place burn when swamped with customers. Probably one of the worst jobs that I ever worked and am glad to have found other realms within the animal world to provide my time and love.

"There for the pups but still a business"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Wag Hotels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's gratifying to be helping out pets, especially when they can sometimes be stressed out because they are away from their owners.

Cons

High employee turnover so it's hard to make lasting work relationships. It's a business so it prioritizes profits over anything else.

Advice to Management

Be more dog-focused, less sales-focused

"Great Place to get Entry-Level Experience in the Animal Care Field"

Current Employee - Dog Service Specialist in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Dog Service Specialist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• If you are a student pursuing a degree in Veterinary Technology or Animal Science and are looking for animal handling hours, this is a great place to start gaining relevant entry-level, hands-on work experience.
    • If you are looking to change your career, this is also a good place to explore. Some examples:

- your background is in security / investigations and you want to consider a career as an Animal Control Officer (typically requires minimum 1,000 hours of animal contact and handling experience)
    - your background is in teaching or psychology and you want to apply those skillsets as a dog trainer
    - your background is in hospitality management or daycare and you want to explore how that translates into the animal care industry.

• If you love dogs and cats and want to have a fun, part-time job in addition to your regular job that actually pays the bills, the daycare attendees and boarders here really enjoy and appreciate your company while their parents are away. Nothing more rewarding then being greeted by a happy, tail-wagging boarder that wants to be read the same Winnie-the-Pooh bedtime story over again or a cat that rolls over the moment you open their suite.
    • The company recently instituted a training outline for each department so that you can set concrete training goals for yourself.
    • Cross-training with other departments allow you to gain experience in other related areas that would be much harder to get if you were working at a veterinary clinic, hospital or in a lab setting.
    • Work environment is more aligned with 21st century Silicon Valley culture: it is a lot less hierarchical and adaptable than in a traditional veterinary hospital, shelter or a lab environment. At Wag Hotels, you take ownership of your tasks; they empower team productivity.
    • Better return on time invested. Think again before you take on that "dream" internship at a vet hospital, clinic or a shelter: you could be spending the majority of your time washing towels, disinfecting exam room tables and autoclaving surgical instruments. If you want more hands-on, try mobile clinics - while the scope of care may be limited to wellness exams and basic treatments, you get direct animal contact hours the entire time ... or work at Wag Hotels and you get dog handling experience from day one, exposure to dogs of all sizes, breeds and temperaments, chance to observe and learn how they interact in a pack environment as well as when they are on their own, come up with ways to keep them engaged, get up to speed quickly on feeding, medication and proper kennel maintenance, cross-train with other departments and attend lectures on canine behavior. That's a summer or winter break well spent.
    • Wag Hotels does a fantastic job with brand management and marketing services - something other segments of the veterinary industry like hospitals, clinics and traditional pet boarding and grooming businesses can learn from.
    • Flexible schedule.

Cons

• High turnover.
    • Outdated, slow computer system that hinders productivity, rather than enhance it. Surprising, considering we are located in Silicon Valley, the heart of technology.
    • If you only work a few hours a week, it is easy to get glossed over for training opportunities (easier for the Team Lead to give you housekeeping chores that no one else wants to do - washing peanut butter kongs are a pain - than to take the time to train you on a new task).
    • Hourly wages are not commensurate with cost of living and market rate in the San Francisco/Bay Area:

- starting wages in San Francisco as of August 2016 is $13 per hour (with $2 shift differential added for graveyard shifts) when minimum wage is going to be $15. - starting wages in Redwood City is $12.25 per hour (with $2 shift differential added for graveyard shifts). Pay rate for In-and-Out Burger in nearby San Carlos starts at $15 an hour and Kennel Attendant/Dog Walker positions in nearby Belmont are paying $15-$16.

• Continually understaffed in Housekeeping so that other departments have to pick up the slack (staffing agencies for cleaners in the area pay up to $22 an hour and many of the San Francisco hotels pay $22 starting due to union - so it is hard to compete when you are only offering $12.25). There is a lot of cleaning involved in the animal care business and you understand and accept that going in; however, if you are here for animal contact hours, none of the hours you spend doing housekeeping (e.g. washing dishes) count, which sucks.

Advice to Management

Review hourly rates and adjust the pay scale often so that Wag Hotels can attract and retain quality employees. It costs more to continually recruit and train new staff than to pay those that are already here a little bit more to retain them.

"Not for Me"

Pros

Majority of the staff was helpful. Upper management not so much.

Cons

Really bizarre environment. There is a very high turnover --so people are unsure of who to make friends with or whom to be friendly with is a better way of putting it.
    First few shifts was full of learning and people were kind in guiding. The short comings were with upper management. During an employee meeting, one of the women literally stood up and said "I'm the b%#@! of the company" and smiled. Taking pride in speaking down to employees. Really uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Treat people as you'd like to be treated, rather than favoritism.

8. "If you love dogs & cats, this is the place for you"

Current Employee - Guest Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to know the dogs is awesome. They're just like little kids! Seeing them in this kind of setting can't even be described.

While getting paid to watch these little furry guys, you learn. You learn how to treat minor wounds, stop incidents before they start. Gain accomplishments just for doing your job right!

I love it here and couldn't ask for more.

Cons

Mainly other staff not always doing their work. They actually get upset when management speaks to them. Management gives at least 3 opportunities to fix your work. So why do they complain?!

Advice to Management

You're not the bad guy if you discipline am employee, but you're not the good guy when you don't. Hard working staff appreciates you guys.

"Those 5 star reviews are fake it's hilarious"

Former Employee - Guest Services Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Services Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Wag Hotels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with dogs. You see regulars come and get attached to them quickly
    Coworkers are cool and down to earth, takes some time to warm up but all generally nice.
    Regular clients give you treats

Cons

Management was the biggest con of working there. Management barely helps in the back and instead sit in their office and passive aggressively tell you what to do and what you're doing wrong. During the holidays when it's insanely busy, they need to help so all you see is them yelling and pissed off cause they actually have to do some work for once. They act as if we're a "family" and constantly say that at meetings but you can definitely tell there are favorites and see who will snitch on who. They have never once listened to what the workers need and have only acted upon what benefits them and the company the most. I mean they cater to clients needs but sometimes there are dogs that really can't stay at the hotel or be in any play group of dogs. It not only endangers the dogs but the staff as well. It's dangerous and ridiculous how much they want to keep their clients for the money. Sorry but they come off as fake and reinforce positivity but all in all they never come off that way and are not inviting at all. To be honest, from the moment I started I never really got treated with respect from them and just got in trouble for making mistakes when really they have no structured training. If you want better employees maybe have a better system for training instead of just throwing them out there and assigning them a babysitter.You can complain to them about something but nothing will be done about it. I've seen the same dogs that cause trouble constantly come back and again there are problems that are voiced out but nothing was done. They're pretty cheap considering they made a couple million dollars last year. All they do is find the cheapest solution to fix things and guess what! Nothing lasts long here and it all breaks down. I enjoyed the dogs and my coworkers but it was the management that made this job the worst.

Advice to Management

Actually talk to the people that work for you and see what their needs are. Don't say things you don't mean and be a little more kinder to the people that get their hands dirty trying to keep the hotels running. You'll earn a lot more respect. Being passive aggressive is a lot more different than just being firm and assertive. You don't need to constantly give attitude when telling the people you work for what to do. Stop making inappropriate comments/jokes that are actually offensive to workers it's not even funny and just rude.

"Working for a greedy corporation"

Pros

Work with dogs I guess
    Some benefits

Cons

Management sucks
    Always understaffed
    Need to hire qualified people
    High turnover

Advice to Management

Ask what the workers need to improve a better working environment instead of finding the cheapest solution

11. "Becoming one of my favorite Daycares"

Current Employee - All Day Play in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - All Day Play in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- It's pretty fun to be able to work with dogs
    - Really good about scheduling around school schedules and other work schedules
    - You have a lot of power to decide if the dog is good or bad for your group and kick them out (though owners will call and get angry if they aren't seen on the camera). Management is very good about communicating to owners if their dogs are having issues.
    - Managers are receptive to comments and notes about the building, the dogs, and anything else we need.
    - Really good communication between everyone (mostly via E-Mail)

Cons

- The live camera - it's very nerve wrecking at times
    - The building needs work
    - Lunch breaks should be on time, not at the end of the shift - scheduling more people on certain days.
    - More opportunities for ADP to leave the room for a break - 7 hours with the dogs can be overwhelming
    - Wish there was more follow up on certain issues

Advice to Management

Everything has been great so far. I would just make it a priority to work on the schedule so that everyone gets their breaks in a timely manner.