WageWorks Reviews in San Mateo, CA | Glassdoor

San Mateo, CA

3.5
Joe Jackson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very understanding and great Work/Life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Nice people, I like the direction the executive leadership is focused on (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • In addition, headcount is always in such focus to keep down expenses that work life balance is sacrificed (in 9 reviews)

• Very high turnover with employees and management (in 16 reviews)

1. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at WageWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting and fast growth. Awesome potential to gain depth and breadth in your field!

Cons

Leadership is a bit controlling and needs to allow management to manage more!

Advice to Management

Keep Investing in the employees!

2. "Senior Consultant"

Former Contractor - Senior Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at WageWorks as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working at WageWorks. The company encourages employee and contractor participation and provides employees with excellent benefits including a very generous stock option plan. They have a nice new break room. The compensation for employees is very good from what I was told. Senior management looks for ways to improve the company and is committed to this continuous improvement approach. This is a good place to pick up some experience though training is on your own time. As stated above, I was told by a number of employees that their pay is higher than the market average. They have a nice office building with plenty of parking and decent restaurants located close by. They may allow PTO hours. There were many knowledgeable and very friendly co-workers that I had an opportunity to get to know. I do not believe that they generally allow you to work remotely though I do know that with certain types of work that this may be allowed. They provide coffee, tea, discounted sodas, snacks and occasionally free lunches. There is a lot of potential for learning and mastering your skills. After I left I later found out they replaced my contract position with 3 full time employees as I had been working a lot of overtime and had extensive experience in my field. Good to know that I added significant value to this company during the time I was there!

Cons

This is not a con but it should be emphasized that the amount of work may be challenging to jungle. As they want the best employees, expect the interview and hiring process to be lengthily. Again not necessarily a con but it should be noted that the company growth model is through acquisitions. Due to the fast pace, lack of training, amount of work, and growth through acquisitions, turnover is higher than a typical start-up company. Though the workload will probably be heavy, that is not necessarily a bad thing as this will improve your ability to manage multiple projects. They had three or four acquisition IT platforms which they were working to consolidate with a new IT platform. Management is far from not competent as some reviewers have stated though they may be overworked. As expected with any company that focuses on a growth strategy through acquisitions, there are definitely growing pains with this approach. Some reviewers state that there is poor work life balance due to the heavy workload though from what I saw at other companies, WageWorks is a typical start-up company in this regard. The company focuses on employee productivity therefore if you are productive they will work with you on managing your overtime. I do though agree that job security is not a given and therefore you should have a contingency plan in place in case things don't work out. Also HR is not a joke as stated by some reviewers, as they work their tail off to ensure all potential employees are properly vetted and are productive. I do not recommend working at this company if you do not have solid prior experience as training is on your own time. I was fortunate that I worked for two individuals that I liked and though they had high expectations with a heavy workload, they were both fair and good people to know, and I wish them the best. Due diligence on acquisitions could be improved. Also there is an issue with only one bathroom on the main floor (though you can go down to the first floor) for a lot of employees which could be corrected as this wastes employee time. Last, be aware that the traffic (by car) from SF to San Mateo or from the East Bay to San Mateo is an absolute nightmare!

Advice to Management

Management should continue to strive for improvement in all departments (Legal, IT, HR, Customer Support, etc. ) including management's direction for the company. Management should work on listening to employee concerns and focus on getting departments to work more closely together. Due to the demanding work schedules at this company, management should focus on hiring those with extensive experience as training is a process improvement that will probably never be corrected due to the company growth strategy and the fast pace work environment at WageWorks. I wish my co-workers and management the best of luck with your success!

3. "Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Mateo, CA

I worked at WageWorks (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros for working here.

Cons

If you enjoy being treated like a nobody, worthless, work here.

Advice to Management

4. "Human Resource Management"

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at WageWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WageWorks is an amazing company that's growing. Full of opportunities to make changes and leave a mark. Great career potential.

Cons

Growing rapidly. Which is great but WW moves to quickly. Too many platforms. Aside from that its a fantastic company!

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of employees and be fully transparent in your communication.

5. "Finance Operation , San Mateo"

Current Employee - Finance in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at WageWorks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Colleagues are nice and friendly.
    - Multiples finance bonding events has been organized to build the relationship between departments.
    - Comprehensive trainings are provided.

Cons

Work from home may not be a common option within the company. However, company have provided great infrastructures for work!

6. "Relationship Manager"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at WageWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO and benefits are very generous at WW.

Cons

Promotions only happen one time a year.

"Implementation Manager"

Former Employee - Implementation Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at WageWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Manager, Work/home balance, good pay

Cons

Not structured, employees all use different procedures and methods to get projects done.

Advice to Management

Create a process map to follow across the board. Not ideal to do lay offs when new people were just hired on the same team 1 month before.

"Low Employee Morale"

I have been working at WageWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and flexible hours

Cons

Extremely low wages. No opportunity for movement within company. Executives treat employees poorly. High turnover in Finance.

"Needs to Focus on People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at WageWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was decent. The people I worked with were great and made the extremely busy work days tolerable. The location was very convenient for commuters from North and South.

Cons

Management does not focus on nurturing the development of their team. The general feeling is that your job is immediately at risk if metrics are not maintained rather than feeling supported. In addition, headcount is always in such focus to keep down expenses that work life balance is sacrificed.

Advice to Management

Employees would go to the end of the earth for an employer they feel that has their back. Fear of losing their job only encourages mistrust and bitterness.

"A frustrating place to work that could be so much better"

I have been working at WageWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are helpful and friendly. They are renovating the San Mateo office and there's a kitchen and break area. Most management seems like they want to help employees grow, but they are over-worked too.

Cons

Feast or famine. There is either way too much to do or nothing at all. When there's too much, employees are expected to work unpaid OT, but are told, "That's not WageWorks' policy," when asking about comp time for extra hours worked. There are some really bad managers who are allowed to operate unchecked, no matter how they treat employees.

Advice to Management

All the turnovers should be telling you something. People are leaving because they can't take the stress and the pressure. Hire more people, actually train them, and listen to their feedback. The processes are very complicated here; not something a person can pick up in a week.