Waitrose Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Waitrose Managing Director Rob Collins
Rob Collins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good pay with the opportunity to work overtime (in 126 reviews)

• 5% john lewis and 15% i think for waitrose) (in 115 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to be given more responsibility when only part time (in 35 reviews)

• Can involve long hours, however this is down to what the partner is ready to commit to (in 26 reviews)

1. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Cashier in Brent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Brent, England (UK)

I worked at Waitrose full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff discount
    Overtime
    Customers are polite well to do people.

Cons

Rude managers
    Managers have favourites
    Managers is a private school elite sniffing Coke is the norm in the office.
    Often bullied by other co workers

Advice to Management

Fix up

"Night Shift"

Former Employee - Night Store Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Night Store Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Waitrose part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You got some independence at work, and its not a difficult job to do.

Cons

Terrible Management, No pay raise, No performance reviews, No ability to climb,
    well, the point is there was no management.

Advice to Management

Do Your Jobs.

"Abismal management, Overtime not paid."

Former Employee - Shop Assistant in Thame, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shop Assistant in Thame, England (UK)

I worked at Waitrose full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff bonus (although this has been cut over the last 4 years)
    Great staff benefits
    Excellent work for students

Cons

No management training from a few of the managers, I was very paternally managed which infuriated me, treated as though I was a child.

Often asked to do overtime, but managers would never enter it into the system. One month I was underpaid over £1000.

Large divide between section managers and partners.

Was doing 40 hour weeks as a full time employee, but was not told I was supposed to be Rota'd in for a 'short day' bringing my weekly total to 39. After 8 weeks of having no short day I was informed of this, and was told I would not be getting paid for the 8 extra hours I had done.

Was constantly whatsapped and Facebook messaged by my mangers even whilst on annual leave. A specific manager messaged me so many times, Facebook filtered it as spam.

Management frequently held personal grudges against employees and took personal issues out on a select few.

Expected to work even when sick.

Rather than a carrot and stick management approach, "partners" were constantly told about poor performance and very rarely rewarded.

Advice to Management

Better training, complete overhaul of management training. Not to say there aren't managers who are trained appropriately, but many are simply left to their own devices and It was incredibly unprofessional.

"Overworked, stressed and not cared for"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Horsham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Horsham, England (UK)

I worked at Waitrose part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount across Waitrose and John Lewis! Alright hours (if you're lucky) really good base pay and regular pay rises.

Cons

Management tend to have god complexes (I thought this was branch specific however I've worked in three branches and they were all the same!!) I was looked down on despite my three years working there, and often I'd be paid wrong due to the incompetence of the managers and team leaders. The stress put on staff is not fair, managers don't work hard enough, they are allowed to get away with overworking their staff and don't seem to care.

Advice to Management

Better training for management, and discipline. More respect for staff.

"Waitrose Banstead"

I have been working at Waitrose part-time

Pros

local , good pay , nice employees

Cons

Poor , rude and arrogant team leaders . Only interested in their own gain

Advice to Management

Put the time into training every member of staff so people don't feel under appreciated

"Slaverose"

Current Employee - Food Service Partner
    Current Employee - Food Service Partner

I have been working at Waitrose part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My other employees make work just about bareable

Cons

Too many Managers, always looking for things you're doing wrong, even though they themselves don't know everything

No enough consistancy or communication between managers, always muck ups, or mistakes

Punished for being better in your job, ie learning different food sections means you're stretched to your limit.

Minimum pay and still waiting for an overdue review.

Understaffed, overworked, with no expected new staff to cover the load because of budgets.

Advice to Management

Less managers, and more experienced ones needed.
    Our store is guinea pig store which means we've had alot of our perks cut, and are expected to be fully flexible with hours.

"Bad"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Waitrose part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Could benefits and good holiday options for staff at private clubs

Cons

Management don't care about staff especially at Swindon store an us and them attitude especially male managers

"Full of politics and corruptness."

Current Employee - Assistant in Truro, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant in Truro, England (UK)

I have been working at Waitrose full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok rates of pay. Staff discount.

Cons

What an awful place to work at. Full of politics and very corrupt managers. If you are lazy and a brown noser you will progress well. Say what you see and have pride in your branch then you will be kicked down. No discipline given out at all as managers do not know how to manage. Not a clue! Very unprofessional telling other staff members the reasons why a partner is off sick. And discrimination going on too. A lot of very unhappy partners and a huge staff turnover.

Don't take any notice of the Waitrose is amazing induction, it's very false. Unarranged visits would be more helpful so management cannot run around panicking while tidying and planning what they will say...fake. Talk to us lower level partners, we will speak the truth.

Advice to Management

Get off your lazy bums and do some work, we are all partners! Work time is not the time to search for your next holiday, sort your new house out or have a jolly in the office with your mates, its to WORK! Stop having favourites, we aren't all brown nosers. Learn how to manage and be professional.

"Soul destroying"

Current Employee - Supermarket Assistant in Great Malvern, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supermarket Assistant in Great Malvern, England (UK)

I have been working at Waitrose full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is an anual bonus. Dsicount in Waitrose and John Lewis

Cons

In summary:

-Very poor management

-There are not enough staff
    -Many people have left in the last few months due to how awful it is
    -Lack of structure or management
    -Little support
    -Unfriendly colleagues
    -So much is expected for no extra money
    -If you don't suck up to management you get nowhere and are open to bullying
    -No opportunity for progression

I believe that this company had a great reputation and that this particular store was a wonderful place to work as previously friends of mine had worked there a few years ago. However, as it is now it is an awful place to work at, and the company is now only bothered about profits, saving money, and cuts to staff.

When I first started it seemed to be great. However, rather rapidly it has turned out to be one of the worst places I have ever worked.

Waitrose have taken away the benefit of Sunday and bank holday extra pay off all new starters. But they also decided it was right to take it off all new starters who were on temporary probationary contracts when they were made permenant meaning a loss of money for some of them. Also the bonus is at an all time low a reflection on how poor it's become.

You can be contacted at any time of day via a phone call or even more unprofessionally they will contact you over Facebook. You will constantly be asked to work extra shifts even if you are full time to fill the many gaps due to lots of staff leaving and nobody wants to fill the overtime. If you say no or you can't they will then try to make you feel extremely guilty or ignore you and ruin your rota for the coming weeks as some kind of revenge. Your shifts will be altered and changed around constantly meaning you have no idea what you are working and you therefore can't have any work life balance as you can't plan anything.

The senior management at this branch only have their own interests at heart. They will get you to do all the leg work while they then take the credit for any and all your ideas and help with no mention of you, all they want to do is to seem 'amazing' to the store manager when infact it was you.

Nearly all the management team are extremely poor at communication and little or nothing is properly communicated between sections, managers, and staff. Everyone has a different answer to the same question when there should only be one answer.

Nearly all of the managers have little or no empathy and don't appear to care about problems (health or personal) that staff may have. They will become a 'yes man' telling you everything you want to hear whilst not actually doing anything to help you out.

Due to the complete lack of staff all the managers expect you to carry out 10 different things all at once, and they want all the tasks done in unrealistic time scale. Do they want the job done right? Or do they just want a job done quickly to an awful standard?

A higher level manager in this store who is really friendly with a slightly lower level manager become a pair of bullies and spout nothing but unhelpful and sarcastic comments to staff and other managers who do not play their game. I believe this is utterly appalling behaviour from senior managers, and is not a great way to gain any respect or like ability. This further adds to the horrible and unhappy atmosphere in the store, and the knowledge that when they are both in work you are likely to be 'picked' on makes your day far worse.

Overall I think it's a horrible environment to work in. Do not work here!!

Advice to Management

Please sort the massive problem out in this branch! Has the fact so many people have left in the last couple of months not set any sort of alarm bells off that you have a serious issue? It isn't a normal turn over of staff, it is many people that have been there for years both in management and normal partners. It's all due to the awful experience your staff are having to deal with.

"Depressing place to work these days"

Current Employee - Supermarket Assistant in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supermarket Assistant in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Waitrose full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good discounts
    Good external benefits with other companies
    Annual bonus (doubt it will be there in a few years)
    Great colleagues many of whom are now friends

Cons

Management hide in the office all day
    Taking time off sick due to work related injuries and they threaten to take away your role and stick you on checkouts rather than address the real issue
    Very hard to book holidays as management never approve it
    Long shifts
    Trying too hard to be like other supermarkets and loosing that special touch they once had

Advice to Management

I used to love working for Waitrose, but it's lost that feeling of a Partnership. Now it's just like the rest.

Showing 42 of 1,036 reviews