Waitrose Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Waitrose Managing Director Rob Collins
Rob Collins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 5% john lewis and 15% i think for waitrose) (in 110 reviews)

• good pay with the opportunity to work overtime (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to be given more responsibility when only part time (in 35 reviews)

• Long hours with repetitive activity (in 22 reviews)

"Shop floor assistant"

I worked at Waitrose part-time

Pros

Good discount with other benefits and opportunity for over time hours

Cons

Poor management style - micromanaged frequently with a rigid and outdated style from shop floor managers

Advice to Management

Be more open to advice from shop floor workers on how to dynamically adapt to customer preferences, they are the closest to the customers and their issues

"Customer Service Assistant"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Fulham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Fulham, England (UK)

I worked at Waitrose part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Made some amazing friends in the time I was there.
    - Learnt to never sacrifice my own happiness for the people I work with as it may not be appreciated.

Cons

- No upwards promotion
    - No one to talk to when there were issue with working environment or anything you're unhappy with.
    - Don't seem to take the opinions of partners seriously.
    - After 3 years I was paid pittance with new partners starting on a higher wage despite my high percentage of training in branch.
    - Stopped me from transferring because "they didn't want me to"
    - Covert Homophobia

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff or they will leave.

"Urgh"

Pros

Bonus, discounts, good food and nice staff

Cons

too many, need to focus on staff more

Advice to Management

Get more staff

"Bad management, not enough staff and bad recruitment"

Former Employee - Checkout Cashier in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Checkout Cashier in London, England (UK)

I worked at Waitrose part-time (More than a year)

Pros

25% off in John Lewis
    13% Waitrose
    Depends what store but there was some good social events
    Most co-workers were great to work with but not managemnet

Cons

I've worked in two stores in London over the past year.
    The first store I worked for is fully Modern Waitrose, I was trained on every section but instead of training all members of staff, they only trained 2 of us in the whole store. So I was originally hired for Operations however I ended up on food service on most of my shifts as they were so understaffed. That store had great people, but everyone was stressed and there was never enough staff.
    Management was bad there was a period of a month were I had no manager, suppliers didn't get paid, stock was left out of date on shelves, I'd daily waste a trolley of food. One day £200 of steaks, because they hadn't got staff in to reduce them. Most of management you never saw on the shop floor helping out, they were either in the office looking busy or on their phones.
    I was originally temporary but was made permanent after 3 months but they cut my hours without prior warning. You're at the mercy of what's convenient for them. Also asking for hours to be changed is impossible. They now have put in a rule that you have to work a minimum of 20hrs a week and many students have had to leave because of this.

The second store I moved too never had any staff and I never saw the manger on the shopfloor unless she really had to, she was on holiday a lot and always went home at a convenient time. I was there a short period of time but it was enough for me to workout that if you showed any enthusiasm you'd be relied on to do the stuff no one else wanted to do. The staff at this store were really lazy and would never help out. They tried to make me csa within 2 weeks of transferring, and they made me stay pass my hours because they had no other staff to cash up. I didn't get a thank you for it. I had to tell one of the mangers who was running checkouts one night (who'd worked in the company for 10 years) how to cash the tills up. I was shocked with all the experience she had she was asking me...just a supermarket assistant.

If you ask a lot of the older members of staff things have changed and their satisfaction has gone down. The company doesn't have enough money, so all the things that made the partnership a great place to work have been cut, breakfast in the partner dining room is dying out.

Advice to Management

My opinion is I they drastically need to change the way management is run. As a manager you need to understand all the sections of the store checkouts, food service, operations and replenishment...not just their own section. Also I don't think promotions should be given because you've been there 5 years...should be done on how good you've performed. Also they should start looking after the staff because satisfaction has drastically dropped.

"Annoying"

I have been working at Waitrose part-time

Pros

Decent discount, Nice colleagues, The break room is warm

Cons

Severely understaffed, repetitive jobs, will end up working unpaid overtime

"no"

I have been working at Waitrose part-time (More than a year)

Pros

25% discount john lewis
    15% discount waitrose
    people you work with

Cons

managment haven't got it together at all
    trying to get holiday off

Advice to Management

do your job properly

"Poor execution."

Current Employee - Team Leader in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Waitrose full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company trying to do things the right way, ethically and treating customers and partners with decent respect. Perform well and the pay can be decent for a supermarket, with no real pressures.

Cons

Progression will be the least important thing, and there are a lack of opportunities to develop. Great for part timers or young people, but not for a long term career6

Advice to Management

Would love to see more focus on employee development.

"Benefits Great. In branch Culture very poor!"

Current Employee - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Waitrose full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Partnership bonus. 6 months paid leave for 25 years service. Ticket subsidy 50% upto £60 a year off concert tickets.

Cons

I have worked at a few branches in different region and the same factors are in place. Inexperienced management from section management all the way up to branch management level. If you work in a department that covers the coffee machines prepared to be spoken to like utter rubbish from the customers.

Advice to Management

A reminder that it is a partnership and we are going backwards as a company.

"Supermarket assistant"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in London, England (UK)

I worked at Waitrose part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're working in a small store especially on weekends breaks are flexible
    The discount card because it also covers John Lewis
    Discount partner shopping
    Bonus

Cons

Small store = more work
    Not enough staff
    They have a partnership but senior members of staff i.e. Management are extremely condescending and rude.
    The work is too tedious with no appreciation.
    Long hours on your feet.
    Rude managers.

Advice to Management

Speak to staff more politely. Consider that people have lives outside of work. Have some manners.

10. "Specialist"

Former Employee - Specialist in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Specialist in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Waitrose full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with like minded colleagues who want to add value and make a difference in a culture of trust and empowerment.
    Benefits, money towards learning new hobbies / vocational skills that enhances one's flexibility and skills.

Cons

Level of ability / capability of some of the Line Managers and main board leadership directors. The good are very good, the poor are very poor.
    Poor performing directors have a negative impact on their direct reports which can bring out behaviours that don't align to treating individuals with respect, trusting their employees to do the right thing and empowering their employees to be the best they can be.
    Lack of career opportunities or talent development in head offices.
    Waitrose is going through a much needed period of contraction within it's head office functions and is in the process of updating it's business model. All needed, however not sure on the quality of some decisions and the quality of expertise being used to help leaders make informed, well reasoned decisions.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at what is happening inside the organisation. Don't just take the views of close and trusted advisors. Observe and ask questions.
    If anyone is looking for a career in Waitrose, suggest waiting until the major functional changes have been delivered AND imbedded. This will probably be the best time to pick up job / career opportunities. (LMs will be able to assess what essential skills and capabilities they have lost as a result of the contraction & redundancies as well as gaps in the updated org structures)