WakeMed Health and Hospitals Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
WakeMed Health and Hospitals President & CEO Donald R. Gintzig
Donald R. Gintzig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly staff, great work life balance, decent salary (in 6 reviews)

• It is a really great place to work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little support from upper management because they are so busy trying to be everyone's "friend" (in 8 reviews)

• Certain staff cause undue stress on peers causing a hostile work environment (in 8 reviews)

1. "Registered Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good management, lots of educational seminars & classes offered, Profit Share bonus, excellent benefits and 401K package

Cons

Annual Modules can be redundant and overwhelming at times. Some policies and procedures are to ridge, limited advancement oppurtunities

2. "Company is behind!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My management has been great in every department I have worked for. Do good work and your work will be acknowledged. Joining with local companies (i.e. our Duke collaboration projects) has given us opportunities for lots of growth.

Cons

WakeMed is set in their ways. Implementing change here is like trying to turn around a cruise ship...very slow...

Job opportunities are mainly for clinical staff-- doctors and nurse mainly

3. "You might want to pass on this place,especially respiratory therapists."

Former Employee - Clinical in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical in Raleigh, NC

I worked at WakeMed Health and Hospitals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent coworkers. Fair health insurance and retirement. Physicians were good especially the critical care team. That's really all I have to say.more cons than pros.

Cons

Management. Hostile, punitive culture. Some coworkers creating a hostile work environment and management. Management enables this toxicity. There are many more issues than the ones above.

Advice to Management

Listen to complaints. Don't stick your head in the sand. Take them seriously. Might just help your reputation. Management, stop getting involved in employees personal life., as long as it isn't detrimental to the organization, it isn't any of your business. This organization has great potential, but there are many barriers to achieving this with the current company culture.

4. "Not much to say"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Raleigh, NC

Pros

not many for me to give

Cons

The pay is not that great, very rigid in their policies

5. "Nurse Tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Meeting patients from all walks of life

Cons

Lack of help from nurses. Nurses will cancel call lights instead of checking on patient.

Advice to Management

I work on a unit where first shift staff are favored over the night shift staff. There is nothing "team work" about this unit. Nurses will barely help the techs. Some of the older Nurses will flag down a tech to get a patient some refreshments while the nurse sits and shops online. I've witnessed a few nurses give the wrong medication or the wrong dose (too much) If I didn't have a family to take care of best believe I wouldn't be working here. Vets take care of animals better than this place take care of the patients.

"Patient Access"

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Raleigh, NC

Pros

People work as a team and make a good atmosphere. They match your 401k and vacation time can be flexible depending on the schedule and whether your shift can get covered. The money can be good and the overtime opportunities.

Cons

Management tends to favor specific people causing unfair policy. Not a lot of opportunity to grown In our area of work. They are not considerate of sick time and call outs. They health insurance rates and costs went up starting 2017 when we changed from BCBS to Aetna.

"CST"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wendell, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wendell, NC

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime hours are often available since the hospital is always busy. The Cafeteria food is good as well as the atmosphere is the cafeteria. Management always looking for ways to improve moral and productivity

Cons

Lowest paying hospital in the area, Very adamant about the 3 strike rule when it comes to attendance. Not very understanding with families and emergencies. Low staff

Advice to Management

Increase pay for the Sterile Processing Department in the OR

8. "Nurse"

Current Employee - Nurse in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Nurse in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None Really; Horrible to Employees

Cons

Everything; Very petty place to work; and around a bunch of Mean Girls

Advice to Management

Help

9. "wakemed review"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Raleigh, NC

Pros

good working and learning environment

Cons

No paid holidays. holidays, sick days, and inclement weather will drain your vacation time

10. "Great teamwork!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cary, NC

Pros

I loved working the night shift in Cary. The people I worked with were amazing! Great supervisors, NTs, coworkers! Very supportive!

Cons

As with most hospitals, the nurse to patient ratio was at times hard to manage. We often ran with less NTs than we needed.