Walden Behavioral Care Reviews

Updated Jan 13, 2021

2.6
Walden Behavioral Care President and CEO Stuart Koman, Ph.D. (no image)
Stuart Koman, Ph.D.
Pros
  • "eating disorder(in 7 reviews)

• "I learned so much about the mental health care, treatment modalities, and eating disorders as a MHC(in 6 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"Innovative and Supportive Atmosphere"

5.0
    Current Employee - Clinician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Walden Behavioral Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

Creativity is valued. Pay is competitive. The structure makes sense.

Cons

No downsides. This company offers everything a professional could want.

"Positive with some negative"

Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor in South Windsor, CT

I worked at Walden Behavioral Care full-time

Pros

Team work Facilitate groups independently like DBT/CBT/Psychoed/creative therapy/relapse prevention in an entry level job Great training if continuing in the mental health field Autonomy, not micromanaged Participate in rounds Meal coaching Different populations and presenting diagnoses (age, type of ED)

Cons

Overworked, understaffed, underpaid While the experience is great it’s hard to feel valued while working under these circumstances

Continue reading

"My Co-Workers Is Why I Stay"

I have been working at Walden Behavioral Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers, rewarding, new building, benefits

Cons

Every single thing that is wrong with Walden starts with Management. Management: decision-making based on what will benefit them economically. Poor patient care: making poor decisions that end up effecting the patients. Poor employee-care: the Mental Health Counselors are used and treated like nothing by management. And in reality, you wouldn’t have a BUSINESS without mental health counselors.

"Hard, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Dedham, MA

I have been working at Walden Behavioral Care full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay Different hourly rates depending on when you work Great experience in ED treatment Supportive staff Communicative leadership Diverse and inclusive

Cons

Sometimes feel like you walk on eggshells around management Long hours Frequently mandated for extra shifts Understaffed

5. "Great place!"

Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Waltham, MA

I worked at Walden Behavioral Care part-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive team, great workspace, and room to grow

Cons

Only Massachusetts based, but this is a pro because it would be awesome for them to expand across state lines.

Walden Behavioral Care Response

December 11, 2020HR Manager

Thanks for the great review! Walden has actually been able to expand across state lines! We have locations in South Windsor and Guilford, CT. In 2017 we also acquired locations in Dunwoody and Alpharetta, GA as well!

"Lack of diversity, mandations"

2.0
    Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Dedham, MA

I worked at Walden Behavioral Care part-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong mission, learned a lot on the job, cool to see clients getting/ doing better. Some nice coworkers.

Cons

Not enough support for MHCs whatsoever. The lack of diversity was shocking, especially in residential. Very much a one of __ feel. Demanding, during hiring process they didn't do enough to express that I will get mandated often, which works against availability I provided and schedule i agreed to. Would've been a deal breaker for me. A lot of food goes to waste, but they don't seem to care much. Will not approve someone to cover your shift if you can't make up hours/don't have PTO. While I was there it seemed like they made a huge deal of considering pronouns, but don't really do much else to actually support lgbtq clients. Fake coworkers, the type to go to your higher up and make you look bad, and continue to smile in your face. Felt like management pretended to care, also talked down on a lot

Walden Behavioral Care Response

December 11, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your experience at Walden Behavioral Care. We truly value your feedback as it helps us to better understand and grow from our employee’s experiences. Walden has always prided ourselves on being a treatment center for ALL. We strive to be a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment for patients and staff alike. And while we’ve made some significant strides this year in many aspects of our business, there is always room for improvement. A major cornerstone of our Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging task force is the hiring and training of a more diverse workforce and we are proud of what we were able to accomplish in 2020 and look forward to continuing our efforts in 2021. Another major milestone we are proud of for 2020 was the organization’s earning of the LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leader designation from the Human Rights Campaign. Walden is the only dedicated eating disorder treatment company nationwide to earn this designation. This year has been particularly complex with COVID-19 and opening our new Center for Recovery, when it comes to schedules. The safety and health of our patients and staff is priority. We do appreciate your comments and invite you to connect with us directly to share more about your experience and your suggestions we can continue to grow and improve.

"Leadership lacking"

Former Employee - Multiple Positions

I worked at Walden Behavioral Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

Passionate employees for the most part dedicated to the work they do, good insurance

Cons

Lack of supports from higher ups, low pay, 'wing and a prayer' feel for staff

8. "Psychiatric Technician"

Former Employee - Psychiatric Technician in Rockville, CT

I worked at Walden Behavioral Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, very clean establishment

Cons

Management was disorganized, often changing supervisors

"It is what it is"

1.0
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Dedham, MA

I worked at Walden Behavioral Care part-time for less than a year

Pros

The patients and front line staff you work with

Cons

Serious lack of staff. No managerial support

"WBC Review"

2.0
    Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor in South Windsor, CT

I worked at Walden Behavioral Care full-time

Pros

organized management of program, some staff are great

Cons

lack of supervision, high turnover rate

Viewing 1 - 10 of 86 English Reviews