Cover image for Walden University

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,950

984 Comments

Teachers

216.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Walden University~133142
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Walden University? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Walden University employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Walden University and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Great Work Environment

Jan 4, 2023 - Faculty
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great systems, and flexible hours. Excellent for people who need to work from home. Company has a mission to provide opportunities for underserved populations to earn advanced degrees.

Cons

Very little room for advancement.

1 person found this review helpful

Company Representative

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review. We are very fortunate to have employees like you who are passionate about Walden’ s mission and values!

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Flexible job but the work never ends

Dec 9, 2022 - Senior Core Faculty
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fully remote. Lots of flexibility. Can work on your own hours for the most part. Just need to attend meetings during work hours. Rewarding to see students grow as scholar-practitioners. Immediate coworkers are great.

Cons

Company lost its soul when acquired by Adtalem. Now the focus is profits over people. Upper administration has no idea what they are doing. Initiatives are haphazard and typically put more demands on faculty without compensation. Minimal raises and almost no bonus the past two years. Work never ends. The university runs on 4 quarters with two weeks in between, but that time is still full of finishing grades from past quarter and setting up the next quarter's classes. Students send messages at all hours of the day and on weekends. With the expectation of returning a response within 24-48 hours, there is never time off. Even if you ask for vacation, you never get to fully break away. When you come back, there is twice as much work to get done because no one can totally take over your courses or mentees. It's a continual grind with no prospect for promotion. The only thing to look towards is administrative work, which sucks the life out of every coordinator and director I've seen at that level. No professional development or support for attending conferences. Burnout becomes an issue over time.

Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about working at Walden. We appreciate and value your input as a former employee and want to be sure we’re consistently working towards providing a positive experience for our colleagues. We would like the opportunity to learn more about your concerns and any suggestions that you may wish to share. Fostering a supportive workplace is very important to us. Please reach out to us at tafeedback@adtalem.com. Thank you!

3. Join the Walden University team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Micromanaging Environment

Jan 9, 2023 - Assistant Field Education Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

There was nothing good about working here. It was a hazard to my health.

Cons

Leadership micromanaged everything. Our department specifically would work incredibly hard to never get raises, bonuses, or anything else. The nursing students calling or chatting in treated us like garbage. Pay was horrible and benefits were not great. Barely got time off.

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Awful since Adtalem sale

Jan 22, 2023 - Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with some really great colleagues at the same level

Cons

Leadership is awful right now and so disorganized. New approach is to always side with a manager or higher up even if you report abusive and problematic leadership behavior. They really don't have a clear plan moving forward and nothing seems to get done or have a clear process.

6. 1.0

Unhealthy Work Environment

Jan 13, 2023 - Academic Coach
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work, snack boxes, $5 gift cards...

Cons

The environment at Walden/Adtalem promotes extreme micromanaging. Employees are treated as unprofessional baboons that do not even have the capability to formulate a basic email even though a higher level of education (Masters) is required for the position. I guess this would make sense considering they accept anyone who has a bank account or gets federal FA. Number, numbers, numbers is all "leadership" cares about. They need to maintain enrollment to keep up with all the upper-level positions with 6 figure salaries, while those actually interacting with the students barely get a live able wage.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Good benefits; acquisition changed top team

Jan 6, 2023 - Core Faculty Member in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits. Pay was fair for all-remote work. There were some outstanding colleagues.

Cons

The acquisition left questions that I cannot answer.

Company Representative

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Your feedback will help continue our work to improve our overall experience. If you’d like to discuss your questions further, we’d like to hear from you at tafeedback@adtalem.com. Thank you!

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Lack of respect and dignity in operations

Dec 15, 2022 - Contributing Faculty
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility to log on to most classes on your own schedule.

Cons

The treatment of contributing faculty. Last minute course assignments, lack of transparency on who get's assigned what courses and why. No career movement. No financial incentive or raises for 10+ years Poor Communication from all levels of administration Faculty expected to support students at all cost, to not lose money. This means to be 100% flexible on late assignments, lack of follow through, or support when retaliation occurs for remediation. Yet, when a faculty member needs the same grace, there is zero.

Company Representative

We appreciate hearing about your personal experience. We care very deeply for our current and former employees and strive for our colleagues to have a positive experience. Although its without its challenges, we are dedicated to always improving our employee experience. Please provide further feedback at tafeedback@adtalem.com. Thank you!

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Scam

Dec 26, 2022 - Enrollment Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is higher than most comparable in the higher education industry.

Cons

This school only wants students and money. They don’t value graduates nor employees.

Company Representative

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We strive for our former and current employees to have the best experience here at Walden. We value your feedback and would like to learn more about what specifically it was that was not positive during your time here and how we can improve. Please contact us at tafeedback@adtalem.com. Thank you and we wish you the best.

10. 3.0

Very busy

Dec 23, 2022 - Customer Service
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management is understandable in most situations

Cons

You get many calls a day

Company Representative

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. If you'd like to share additional information, please reach out to us at tafeedback@adtalem.com.

11. 5.0
    Former Employee

Excellent

Nov 3, 2022 - Online Professor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Graduating doctoral students and and providing excellent credentials

Cons

Expensive and no help with placement

1 person found this review helpful

Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoyed your time at Walden. We care very deeply for our employees and strive for everyone to have a positive experience. Although its without its challenges, we are always dedicated to improving, so thank you for providing your feedback. Feel free to email us at tafeedback@adtalem.com and share more information.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 332 Reviews
</>Embed

Walden University Reviews FAQs

Walden University has an overall rating of 3.2 out of 5, based on over 360 reviews left anonymously by employees. 44% of employees would recommend working at Walden University to a friend and 38% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Walden University employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Walden University. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

44% of Walden University employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Walden University 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 2.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Walden University to be work life balance, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Walden University Job Seekers