Walgreens Reviews | Glassdoor

Stefano Pessina
1,760 Ratings

10,118 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/life balance like in all retail (in 240 reviews)

• Pay Is not ideal for the amount of work (in 104 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Place to Work and Get Experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Walgreens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone treats you like a family and knows how to have a good time while still taking things seriously. Managers and co-workers will take time out of their schedule to help you out with anything you need and will even do things for you on your birthday and stuff. Excellent training and benefits, will definitely recommend.

Cons

I must enter five words here even though there are no cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Walgreens Response

May 18, 2017 – HR

Thanks for your review!

"not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

customer service can be rewarding

Cons

poor management skills in upper management

Advice to Management

Provide annual employee reviews. Be more open when it comes to sharing important information.

"I think Jeff is doing a good job....I don't think the district managers are!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

If you want to relocate, you will always have a job.

Cons

Being over worked and under paid...watching your Store manager make 4x what you make as an assistant for sitting at a desk all day and telling you what to do. Customers yell at you for everything. Coupons.

Advice to Management

Be pro-active. Do not talk about the $30,000 bonus you are about to get infront of your employee who only makes $30,000 a year. CALM DOWN...it's just a job!

"Walgreens the pharmacy america should not trust"

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Pay is the only reason to work for walgreens

Cons

Terrible management. Pharmacy is run by non pharmacist or pharmacist who have never worked in a pharmacy. They hire the worst pharmacists in the industy.

Advice to Management

Let Pharmacist who have worked in the pharmacy make rx decissions. District Managers who have no idea about pharmacy operations are a joke.

"Walgreen's is not where you can build a career"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

Pros

The pay is ok for MGT. A place to work right out of college til you find a real job.

Cons

DO not expect career advancement or getting your own store in less than 7 or so years, til then you are nothing.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to increase stock price. Actually do change from task focused to customer focus. Reduce the reset and revisions greatly, have a floor person in stead of just an MGT. Trim the fat, photo supervisors, cosmetic supervisors, District trainer these are excess jobs that should be taken on elsewhere.

"I would rather sell my soul for some French fries."

Current Employee - Distribution Center Stock Picker in Anderson, SC
    Current Employee - Distribution Center Stock Picker in Anderson, SC

Pros

It's a good job to get you going and on your feet, but other than that, there is no reason that you should be working for these fascists bastards. If you do happen work for them, take my advice and get out AS SOON as you can.

Cons

Oh jeez, there's so much wrong with the way this company and the people within it operate, I don't even know where to begin. The managers and senior staff are incompetent, and not to mention extremely vapid, to the level that you could just punt babies off of high rise buildings all day. They also treat their employees as though they were worthless pieces of trash.
    Actually, I'm going to stop there because there's not enough time in my life to list all of the things that are wrong with this company.

Advice to Management

God forbid you ever have to walk a mile in my shoes. Actually, I take that back; I hope you do, so you can see just how close you come to an epic beating every day.

"Walgreens:The Pharmacy Employer you should NOT trust!!!!"

Current Employee - RxM (Pharmacy Manager) in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - RxM (Pharmacy Manager) in Waterloo, IA

Pros

You can move around the country and still stay with Wlagreen

Cons

1)Bad upper management.2) The loss prevention people treat you like a criminal. 3) They make you work very hard for the money.4) Lack of support and help from the District Office. 4) You cannot wear any lapel pin (not even a pink ribbon for Breast Cancer support, or the American Flag).5) They are good at making the pharmacy a chop-shop meaning you have to process 60 to 70 Rxs an hr without adequate help:They are setting you up to kill some unfortunate patient!!!!.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people in the stores. Treat people fairly and talk to everyone. Lose your ego trip!!!!!

"Pay is not worth the labor!!"

Current Employee - Card Specialist in Humble, TX
    Current Employee - Card Specialist in Humble, TX

Pros

They are all over the US so if you moved you could just transfer. I did like the fact that I could come in when I wanted and do the cards. I also liked the fact that by working for Walgreens you get a 15% discount on all the things you buy there except for dairy, prescription drugs, and tobacco. I had fun at first doing the cards, but then quickly realized the work I was putting in and the pay I was getting was not fair! It was nice being able to work close to home for 6 months.

Cons

The pay is just horrible, and the hours are even worse!! I quickly realized after putting in 30 hours and my back killing me that I wouldn't be there long. Then I received my first pay check and wanted to cry! $150 for 2 weeks? Are you kidding me? Who can live off that. And this place is not a place for adults to work, there are nothing but a bunch of high school kids working there that start so much drama and gossip about everything and everyone. If you work under 20 hours a week you do not qualify for any kind of benefit!

Advice to Management

With the cost of living going way up they should pay their people better!

"Get started in the working world elsewhere"

Former Employee - Service Clerk in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Orland Park, IL

Pros

Easy to get hired, mindless tasks that a monkey could complete. Great way to earn 7.50 an hour and throw your youth away

Cons

Cold and brooding management does not provide any useful feedback but instead will suggest that you continue to "look busy" even when working as a cashier. If you are checking customers out at the register that is your primary job, you cant shuffle the gum around to make it seem like you are doing more than you are. Management also will not recognize when you provide outstanding customer service/aid a customer above and beyond but instead will come at you telling you to go down the deodorant isle and "face" the products or tilt them so the label faces the aisles.

Advice to Management

Revise your gameplan, the soul crushing atmospher of the job leads to great employee dissatisfaction and ill will towards the company.

"Walgreens disrespects its employees"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Boston, MA

Pros

The best reason is the customers. The really nice ones give you respect and appreciate what you do for them, because the management certainly could care less!!!!!

Cons

No respect for any human being!!!

Advice to Management

Start respecting the people that actually run the company.

Showing 10,118 of 10,333 reviews