WalkerCom Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Avaya Technician in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Avaya Technician in El Paso, TX

I worked at WalkerCom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best reasons I enjoyed working for WalkerCom Inc. was that I was able to learn a lot new technologies with hands-on experience. The client that I was employed for to assist had very friendly people who made me feel like part of their family. The owner of WalkerCom Inc. and his personnel also made me feel welcomed and were very nice to me. The client that I worked for had work for me every day and were understanding when ever I needed time off. WalkerCom Inc. and their owner assisted me greatly with finding a full-time job after my contract my was over and for that I am very grateful to them.

Cons

The only con I can think of working with WalkerCom Inc. was that the employees insurance is local to the Houston area which is great if you live and work there, however, for those who live and work remotely in another city, it would have been nice to have a statewide insurance carrier or lower out of network insurance company. Other than the insurance issue, I cannot think of any other Con.

Advice to Management

No Advice, but rather, Thank You So Much for the opportunities that opened up for me because of you. I wish you all well in your future endeavers.

2. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at WalkerCom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small family owned environment with positive incentives for hard work.

Cons

Owner can micromanage if he feels like you are cheating the company.

3. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at WalkerCom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people that work there.

Cons

The way the business is run. No structure, no development, no leadership.

Advice to Management

Change the philosophy of the business.

4. "Employee BEWARE!!!"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in La Porte, TX
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in La Porte, TX

I worked at WalkerCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a paycheck until a better opportunity came along.

Cons

The company owner is a crook. He will lie to your face with a smile and find any way possible to cheat his employees out of the pay they rightfully deserve. He refuses to spend even the minimum amount necessary to properly supply the company technicians yet expects them to come in and work weekends (for no pay) to help replace the rat chewed cabling in the building where they work. This is partly due to the fact that the company has credit issues with suppliers. The owner also refuses to pay over time for the time spent behind the wheel when driving the company vehicle back to the office after hours. Don't get caught working for this crook. His only interest is making money off others in any way he can find. He has no ethics and no conscience.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to a reputable owner.

"Decent short-term place to work."

Pros

Great co-workers, really friendly laidback environment.

Cons

As everyone said this is basically a job that you have while looking for other positions. Very small staff with an incredibly high turnover rate. Richard is still stuck in running the business like its 20 years ago and its catching up with him. They will lay you off in the blink of an eye because the company is constantly struggling financially. The people working there are some of the nicest around so going to work is not a problem at all. At some point, much sooner rather than later, this company will shut down permanently. Only apply here if you are still actively in the job market and just need a check for the moment, for this is not a long term position.

Advice to Management

Find a way to make the company an actual profitable business.

"Waste of time and knowledge. Keep looking."

Pros

It's a paycheck. Some of the employees there are nice and easy to work with.

Cons

Very stressful environment. The owner will stab you in the back for no reason. The owner does not take reconditions or advise from people who know what they are doing. No growth opportunities. Even though there are health benefits, they tailor more towards the owner and his family. Employees barely make enough to afford it. Pay is no where near market. The company can't even afford to pay for its experienced people so they lay them off to downsize.

Advice to Management

Just close the doors. It was very apparent that the owner already checked out of the company. Invest in your employees and treat them like you want to be treated. Let who ever is left do their jobs and take a backseat. Stop micromanaging as that has ruined your company. If your employee comes up with a very good idea, dont say do it and then change your mind the next day or in your case the next minute.

"COO"

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Pearland, TX

I have been working at WalkerCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Grow company to sell.
    Hard to sell
    Buffer
    Employees walk on egg shells due to owership
    No beneifits

Cons

Ownership
    health benefits
    bonuses not paid
    health benefits not paid or response]
    compensation

Advice to Management

Take a hike

WalkerCom Response

Sep 16, 2016 – President

To obtain and hold employment at WalkerCom, you must pass a drug test AND conduct yourself professionally. Reporting to work in any state other than sober and being under the influence of ANY... More

"Technician"

Former Employee - Technician in Pearland, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in Pearland, TX

I worked at WalkerCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GO THERE TO FIND OTHER WORK, IT'S A PAY CHECK AND THAT'S ALL.

Cons

None, the lead technician would keep any learning experience and constantly use your face as a stepping stone. Owner will have you washing cars and changing light bulbs even if you are in a management. I can say I was the most miserable person ever in my life when working here, I wanted to to get out as soon as I could. He will fire you just to save 10 bucks. Extremely low pay.

Advice to Management

Step down, you have no clue how to run a business. Give what's left to someone with talent. Or stay as CEO and go knocking on doors yourselves for opportunities

WalkerCom Response

Jan 7, 2016 – General Manager

The success of WalkerCom, as with any company, is only as good as its employees. When employees only show up to receive a paycheck the company cannot succeed. It is a blessing to have GREAT... More

9. "WalkerCom Provided A Great Learning Experience!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pearland, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pearland, TX

Pros

WalkerCom is a long standing staple in the Pearland community providing business to business telecommunication installations and repairs to not only local customers but NATIONWIDE! WalkerCom is devoted to customer satisfaction. WalkerCom strives for successful implementations on every call. WalkerCom is a family owned operation and that family environment is reflected in building relationships with customers for life and provides flexibility for staff members which is a great attribute to balancing work demands and family obligations.

WalkerCom provided an a wonderful opportunity to learn the value in customer service, the importance of proper business ethics and practices and set the path for me to grown into a new role and opportunity. Without WalkerCom I cannot say that I would be where I am now-successful!

Cons

No room for advancement. WalkerCom is not a large operation and there truly is no room to "climb the ladder" however through devotion and effort you can be successful!

"A family owned telecommunications distributor with strong customer value statement."

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Lexington, NC
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Lexington, NC

I have been working at WalkerCom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a 45 year reputation within the telecommunications industry for loyalty to it's customers and manufacturers.

Cons

Has a long decision making process that tends to lead to atrophy and last minute decisions.

Advice to Management

There is a need to infuse new ways to motivate and stimulate a compliant workforce to think and act outside of just getting their job done. Compensation plans need to be simplified and reward needs to be greater over 100%. Skills training is essential in everyday work tools to be more efficient. Need to invest in the workforce to develop new skills and strengthen industry knowledge and trends.