Walking Company Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew D. Feshbach

Pros
  • Helping people finding comfort shoes by utilizing foot scan and personal knowledge of product (in 11 reviews)

• Good commission on sales, and able to make more money than other sales associate jobs (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management unsure about new brand management (Abeo) (in 16 reviews)

• Bad pay, poorly run, say room for growth but hire out of the company (in 5 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Walking Company Holdings (More than a year)

Pros

Nice work environment with good employee's

Cons

Awful pay with no room for improvement.

2. "Good Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Walking Company Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back office, standard benefits, small- medium office.

Cons

Outside of the greater Los Angeles - tough commute for some. Pay is probably 25% lower than LA market - this all makes it tough to find quality employees.

3. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Beavercreek, OH
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Beavercreek, OH

I have been working at Walking Company Holdings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

working with customers
    lots to learn

Cons

disorganized management
    expected to be available all the time

Advice to Management

listen to employees when they have ideas to make the store run smoother.

"Great company if you can sell!"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Walking Company Holdings full-time

Pros

Supportive staff and management, lots of money to be made, amazing training program and room for self growth on the job.

Cons

Associates complained of low wages, long days but that is typical for retail management. If I had stayed with company I wouldn't have received maternity leave

6. "Excellent for a retail job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waikoloa, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waikoloa, HI

I have been working at Walking Company Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked with The Walking Company for around for years, advancing in position throughout my career with them. It is definitely one of the most rewarding retail jobs, offering great commission on top of hourly pay, plus benefits for full time workers. I started at the bottom of the chain of command and have worked my way up by sticking with the company. Our upper management is understanding and reasonable and looks out for their in store employees.

Cons

Cons are typical retail cons, working nights and holidays and long hours if you need to cover shifts.

Advice to Management

Less focus on the small things, more focus on the big picture of bringing in the money.

"Black hole in your career with a soulless company"

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Walking Company Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There truly aren't any except the occasional comp pair of shoes. And if it is a company brand, then exactly worthless.

Cons

Absolutely unbelievable high pressure to sell overrated, poor quality insoles and brand name shoes. Forced to act as though a returned pair of orthotics or shoes is an anomaly or one off defective pair. You will be forced to surrender your integrity and honesty to sell their product. District leadership in WA is mental, if you give 2 weeks notice, he will come in with your replacement 48 hours later so you can be publicly humiliated and unemployed until you begin your next job.

Advice to Management

Sell your company and start all over again

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Hilo, HI
    Current Employee - Sales in Hilo, HI

I have been working at Walking Company Holdings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess my co-workers are cool... There really aren't any pros to this job

Cons

I have never worked for such a cheap/greedy company. The shoes they sell are horribly overpriced. The pay sucks plus the try to cut your commission if you don't sell enough. They expect the world from you but don't give much in return. The whole foot scan thing is beyond fukin retarded with their stupid matts that don't even work good. Really bad with customer returns. Make the coverage and schedule tight so they can save money. I could literally go on for days on why this company sucks but I'll just say they are really really cheap and don't value any of their workers

Advice to Management

The people who run this company are real pieces of garbage

"Worst Job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Walking Company Holdings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission but it's so minimal it doesn't even matter

Cons

My store manager was the worst person I have ever worked with in 4 years of retail. She would complain that I looked better than her sometimes and would take it out on me. I also called HR at one point to fix a personal situation (literally had nothing to do with her) and she found out about it and told me it "offended her personally" that I went over her head. She then did multiple things to retaliate against me. HR was contacted again after a note she posted that called the employees in the store children and incompetent. I'm extremely sick of being treated like garbage and a child. They also have such uptight conservative values that you can't look alternative in any way shape or form. The shoes are cheap and the orthotics are laughable. Nothing in the store is quality and asking customers to pay $150+ for a pair of cheaply made shoes is an insult.
    I DO NOT recommend working here. Unless you want to be belittled and treated like you don't know how to count to ten etc.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to all quit your jobs and be replaced by people who are actually compassionate and understanding. Managers who rule and belittle are not managers. They are dictators.

"An awful place to work"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenwood, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenwood, IN

I worked at Walking Company Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am pressed to say even one good thing about this company... there aren't any pros to be honest

Cons

The biggest challenge they have us pay. They pay peanuts and expect you to move mountains. Not unlike starbucks, without the fast pace. Commission rates on sales is a laughable 1% and their shoes are as cheaply made as they are unfashionable. Nobody with any skills or talent in sales should squander their time on this silly, floundering company. Get it together people! Pay ur what they're worth!

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they're worth, and support your store management to a higher degree, for starters!

"Learn to Sell Like a Car Salesman"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Walking Company Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With a hybrid salary(or hourly) plus commission you can make decent money at certain stores.

Cons

"car salesman" like sales training approach. 1-year vacation probationary period for managers, Store Managers MUST work 6 day weeks after Black Friday. Low base salary for Store Managers. Upper management keeps most of the power from the store manager. Upper management unsure about new brand management (Abeo).

Advice to Management

Revamp the rewards program, retool selling practices, attract a younger demographic