Walmart Administrative Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Doug McMillon
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 658 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1042 reviews)

1. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Conyers, GA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great as a team all together

Cons

Hard to come up to new position

Advice to Management

2. "Stop over hiring, please"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay well and everyone is so kind. I truly loved my job and what I did. I was 110% Walmart.

Cons

They restructure way too much. You never know if you're going to have a job or not. I do believe that the folks at store level are the backbone of the company. More attention needs to be paid to them instead of all the upper management making the big bucks.

Advice to Management

Either stop over hiring to avoid all the layoffs and then 6 months later rehiring. Makes no sense.

3. "Average"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Walmart (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay
    ok environment in terms of working

Cons

lack of communication with upper management that makes it hard to cope

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

Pros

Above average salary for members of management. Parking.

Cons

I worked with Walmart for 3 years in Chinatown, Washington, DC and unfortunately the things heard about Walmart in news/media is very true, Unfair treatment of employees, poor work life balance, office not all inclusive, management annual bonuses is my salary for entire year. At will employment is fully engaged at this location. Union representation is truly needed just so that fair treatment is extended to all. I have seen people oust (railroaded) due to personality and others promoted based on commemoradory versus if they are deserving of promotion.
    I am actively looking for work now.

Advice to Management

Developing people skills for managers, fostering team environment, embrace diversity.

5. "Executive Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Executrive Administrative Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Executrive Administrative Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

getting to know a wide variety of people with different personalities and a fun office environment where everyone helps as a team to get the job done accurately and quickly.

Cons

Sometimes having too many people handling the same project, things are duplicated which is time consuming when trying to get the work done in a timely fashion.

Advice to Management

Always be clear when delegating duties and make sure your employees understand exactly what their expectations are in order to get the job done professionally.

6. "Associates great, managers not so mich"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Made great friends, learned a lot, good salary and benefits

Cons

Managers afraid of older workers, not enough training or support

Advice to Management

Support older workers, upgrade computer programs

7. "It was great I learned a lot of new things I was able to move forward to a third position in less then one year"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Garland, TX

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get to met new peoples everyday ,not one day is the same. whether it the manager now knowing what's going on to where the cashier an csm have no clue where there are to be, but at the end it all work outs with one another helping the other to get back on track

Cons

when there is a conflict in management you will be in between. when upper manager tell you to do some, they will not be in fault, you will, you will get the write up and the manager will get off free with no coaching.

Advice to Management

management need to take responsible for there own action, I know you is trying to make a customer happy but when you put the cashier or who ever in the middle of it, it is not fair because the cashier will get more heat then a manager will

"It's a job!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice 401K plan (6% match), free training classes you can take (and get paid for), relatively flexible in terms of upward mobility if you're good at what you do.

Cons

No windows anywhere. Parking always a hassle. Too much blue. Terrible medical insurange, no vision insurance. Buildings spread out and traffic is always bad.

"Wal Mart needs to go back to its roots"

Former Employee - Exec. Administrative Assistant in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Exec. Administrative Assistant in Bentonville, AR

Pros

Wal Mart is a great place to start a career if a) you do not have a college education b) you find a "daddy" in the company and c) you are willing to live in Bentonville Arkansas for the rest of your life

Cons

Bentonville only has Wal Marts as a place to buy groceries......Wal Mart meat is okay but their produce is HORRIBLE. I drove down to Fayetteville every week to buy many of my groceries.....That's almost 30 miles EACH way! Also, if your spouse is not with Wal Mart it is difficult to get a job. Economy tanked here before most of the country, and Wal Mart decided to lay off it's entire textile division just when things got bad in 2008. Sent the jobs to NYC. Not the loyalty that Sam would have expected out of his people. SHAME ON YOU BOYS!

Advice to Management

Wal Mart's prices are not THAT much better than it's competition. Stop with the good old boy patting on the back and actually do something to emphasize customer service. Wal Mart is a preditory company......they go after and eat up smaller businesses. Wal Mart is a big box retailer.......they will be crowded. But Wal Mart was founded on small town store locations and EXCELLENT customer service.....Sam wanted it that way and it needs to go back to it's original identity.