Walmart Administrative Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1304 reviews)

• "great work life balance, shorter commute" (in 271 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be a serious challenge" (in 773 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1133 reviews)

1. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Buffalo, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Buffalo, MN

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoyed working independently and training other Assistants. This position requires a self starter and computer knowledge of Microsoft programs such as Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.

Cons

Recent changes such as restructure of the market team can be stressful and if you aren't lucky enough to be in a high value market, your position could be eliminated.

Advice to Management

Please turn in your collectibles on time and as requested. As an Administrative Assistant we have deadlines to get your information turned in to upper levels of management.

2. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Conyers, GA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great as a team all together

Cons

Hard to come up to new position

"Walmart"

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Network Administrator in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, job security, easy to start a career once you get your foot in the door

Cons

Half the salary you can get doing the same thing for another company

Advice to Management

n/a

4. "Stop over hiring, please"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay well and everyone is so kind. I truly loved my job and what I did. I was 110% Walmart.

Cons

They restructure way too much. You never know if you're going to have a job or not. I do believe that the folks at store level are the backbone of the company. More attention needs to be paid to them instead of all the upper management making the big bucks.

Advice to Management

Either stop over hiring to avoid all the layoffs and then 6 months later rehiring. Makes no sense.

5. "Contract Services"

Current Employee - Contract Administrator in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Contract Administrator in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Walmart provides incredible opportunities for growth both professionally as well as personally.

Cons

I have had a great expierence with my time at Walmart

6. "Average"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Walmart (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay
    ok environment in terms of working

Cons

lack of communication with upper management that makes it hard to cope

7. "Payroll Consultant"

Former Contractor - Payroll Administrator in Fremont, CA
    Former Contractor - Payroll Administrator in Fremont, CA

I worked at Walmart as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient location, good working environment.

Cons

Not many Cons to report.

8. "Respect, please."

Current Employee - Administrative in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Administrative in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of good people doing good work.

Cons

Walmart says they value their employees and one of their basic beliefs is that they "respect the individual." They honor associates celebrating long-time anniversaries with a trip to the Home/corporate Office. But true to their discount-store mentality, they strategically "nickel and dime" hourly associates. Actions speak louder than words. Biggest example that it's all show is when the company transitioned from vacation leave / sick leave / personal leave to Paid Time Off (PTO) and took away the (6) paid holidays for all office workers/non-store entities, leaving associates to use their leave time if they want paid holidays. But Walmart added those 6 days back into salaried associates PTO time. It's Robin Hood in reverse. The (salaried) information sessions opened with, "I bet you heard a lot but I want to assure you that YOU are not losing any time. You are getting those 6 days added back." In one of the hourly info sessions, when several associates brought up the losses, Leadership actually said, "We had to cut corners somewhere." The morale hit bottom like never seen before. This is what was going on behind the scenes when publicly Walmart was promoting: the wage increase (for the lowest paid employees), the transition to PTO, changing from use-or-lose leave to now carrying over up to 80 hours and anything over 80 hours will be paid out in the first paycheck of the new year. It sounds great....but having to use hours to cover holidays, it will take years for hourly associates to reap a benefit. When they give in one area, they take away a lot more elsewhere.

Another loss is the accumulated sick leave we can no longer use for ourselves; it can only be used when a family member is ill. Even then, we have to submit proof the family member was ill. Long timers (15 years+) with hundreds of hours of sick leave who had been saving those hours for an unforeseen circumstance or upcoming medical leave, have been blocked from using. And those who don't have family, will never get the opportunity to use their bank of sick leave. These changes were announced 30 days before they were put in place.

Another pitfall for an hourly is that if they are promoted to a job where they need to move their residence, the company doesn't pay moving costs, but does pay moves for salaried associates. Contradicts that "respect for the individual" motto. A "glass ceiling" of a different sort.

Also, the (annual) bonus for hourly is merely a few hundred dollars. But salaried associates receive thousands--as in 5 digits.

Advice to Management

Mute the lip service. Show respect by fair distribution of benefits. Regarding the annual bonus "Incentive Award" and the quarterly awards for the stores, show real respect for longevity by increasing the payout for the hourly every year.

9. "sytsems admin"

Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good work environment. never boring!

Cons

a little understaffed at times

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

Pros

Above average salary for members of management. Parking.

Cons

I worked with Walmart for 3 years in Chinatown, Washington, DC and unfortunately the things heard about Walmart in news/media is very true, Unfair treatment of employees, poor work life balance, office not all inclusive, management annual bonuses is my salary for entire year. At will employment is fully engaged at this location. Union representation is truly needed just so that fair treatment is extended to all. I have seen people oust (railroaded) due to personality and others promoted based on commemoradory versus if they are deserving of promotion.
    I am actively looking for work now.

Advice to Management

Developing people skills for managers, fostering team environment, embrace diversity.