Walmart Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 853 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1172 reviews)

1. "12 years"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities for growth and promotion. The company adapts well to change and expects this of all associates and management as well. Helping our local community through our work.

Cons

Leaders of the past could be abrasive and unethical, but many of them have been eliminated from the company due to a renewed focus on respect for the individual. Work life balance also can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Be open to change and be a student of the company. Be fair in all of your dealings with associates and customers. You will do well.

2. "Some stores do not reflect the values of the company as a whole"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always a job there if you need it/want something part time.
    The foundation Wal-mart is built on is great.
    Willing to place people in management jobs from associate level fairly quickly.

Cons

Due to the fact that they're willing to place associates into management so quickly you end up with a lot of inexperienced and inept managers who lack the people skills to actually manage. I don't believe this is indicative of the company as a whole but I worked here twice over the course of my adult life and saw this at both stores but more predominantly at the second one. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on the former and say this is normal and the managers needed time to "grow into" their roles.

The management promotions aren't available for everyone despite some associates displaying great leadership qualities and capabilities. It seems to be something random they throw out there to "keep the dream alive"

There were several ethics issues at this store and turnover was high.

Rumor mills/drama at all levels. Extremely unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Value the employees that display high functioning skills and good leadership qualities and train them well to take on management roles.

Clean house on managers who are displaying problematic qualities/poor leaders there's a reason you can't keep associates at this particular store in Austin, Texas.

Set realistic standards for your employees and use more positive reinforcement. Especially in Austin, TX people frankly aren't going to tolerate being bad mouthed by a manager when they can quit and find a job in two days that pays more or if they have employment elsewhere and this is just part time or extra income.

Staff your stores and keep your associates employed. The store I worked at was massively understaffed and instead of that being openly known as a problem when work wasn't finished associates were typically brow beaten for the problem despite not having any control over employee retention and hiring trends.

Hire more managers with soft skills/people skills or send some to a management course that focuses on these skills and develops them.

Make sure your managers are willing to be "hands on". I report to a director at my primary place of employment and when we have an overflow of work she has no problem stepping in and helping, as a good manager would. This quality was severely lacking at this store.

Don't hold associates accountable for management issues. They have no control over the management of the store and never will. If you can't keep employees maybe look to your management team and start there.

At the end of the day, either listen to the feedback of someone with more professional experience than most of your managers or leave the problems and let them fester until your "home office" comes in and deals with the problem which you may not want because that may end with the termination of your management team.

As of writing this you not only lost an employee (I resigned) but you also lost a customer, I shop at HEB exclusively now in Austin after my experience here after seeing the poor behavior several managers (Assistant, Support, Co-Managers) displayed.
    Again I don't believe this is indicative of Wal-Mart as a whole but what I witnessed at this store.

If anyone from corporate (home office) is so inclined, I would look closely into your 35 and Parmer location in Austin, Texas.

Thank you.

3. "Great Company, Bad Management"

Current Employee - Overnight Support Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Overnight Support Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, lots of opportunities, awesome associates

Cons

poorly trained upper management, lack of respect for individual, poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

Actually treat the people under you like people and not a statistic.

"After all the time spent in this organization!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked my tail off, they told me the absolute soonest I could become an Assistant Manager would be 18 months. I did it in 20, not bad.

Cons

After killing myself for this company, working 5 1/2 years out of 7 as an Overnight Assistant Manager, I got a hernia, didn’t file a workman’s comp claim because I figured the company would take care of its management. Wrong, I was shuffled thru a third party benefits claim company that denied the short-term disability that I’d been paying into for almost 9 years. Protect yourself, because the company considers you as nothing more than a resource to be exploited.

Advice to Management

Work as a team. Most members of management don’t have the slightest idea of what teamwork means, very selfish.

5. "My 4 years at Walmart"

Current Employee - Asset Protection in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Asset Protection in Austin, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is alright, and benefits are okay.

Cons

Management, benefits, hours are terrible.

6. "okay"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible, okay, easy work days,

Cons

busy work, seemingly unorganized sometimes

7. "Walmart ughh!!!!!"

Former Employee - Stocker/BIA/Unloader in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Stocker/BIA/Unloader in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They matched 401k dollar for dollar.

Cons

Managers didn't know how to talk to they're associates. Every meeting felt like a threat or put down meeting. Could never satisfy them.

8. "Toxic Teams"

Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid on time bi weekly
    Health Insurance is decent
    Associate Discount is great
    Associate Lounge is clean
    Cake and ice cream

Cons

Upper Management is exclusionary
    Plan on working your days off
    If another Assistant struggles plan on managing their area
    Be prepared for unfair and derogatory treatment of you aren’t the favorite
    Be prepared to do hourly Associates work if they can’t or don’t
    Annual raises? Limited distribution per market.

9. "CoMgr"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits and great company

Cons

restructure and calibration for mgt

Advice to Management

Continue to Strive for Excellence

10. "I'd rather not say out of fear of retribution"

Current Employee - Overnight Maint Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Overnight Maint Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to home , I like the night shift and the work is easy, pay is okay , all I need

Cons

The Managers.. I have never in my professional career ever come across such incompetent Managers. They have no concern for doing their job right .. They seem to not care about anything or anyone..

Advice to Management

try working in the real world for about 10 yrs. Because if you just graduated up through the ranks at walmart you would not last 3 days in a real managers position.

Showing 84 of 38,713 reviews