Walmart Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

2.8
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1399 reviews)

• "Best environment, work life balance" (in 289 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 838 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1167 reviews)

1. "Walmart"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, Great pay, Nice benefit scheme

Cons

none to really speak of

2. "Views on Walmart"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours and reasonable pay. Great benefits if you stay with company.

Cons

Poor management. Long hours. Rare to get weekends off.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who genuinely care for their employees.

3. "Some stores do not reflect the values of the company as a whole"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always a job there if you need it/want something part time.
    The foundation Wal-mart is built on is great.
    Willing to place people in management jobs from associate level fairly quickly.

Cons

Due to the fact that they're willing to place associates into management so quickly you end up with a lot of inexperienced and inept managers who lack the people skills to actually manage. I don't believe this is indicative of the company as a whole but I worked here twice over the course of my adult life and saw this at both stores but more predominantly at the second one. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on the former and say this is normal and the managers needed time to "grow into" their roles.

The management promotions aren't available for everyone despite some associates displaying great leadership qualities and capabilities. It seems to be something random they throw out there to "keep the dream alive"

There were several ethics issues at this store and turnover was high.

Rumor mills/drama at all levels. Extremely unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Value the employees that display high functioning skills and good leadership qualities and train them well to take on management roles.

Clean house on managers who are displaying problematic qualities/poor leaders there's a reason you can't keep associates at this particular store in Austin, Texas.

Set realistic standards for your employees and use more positive reinforcement. Especially in Austin, TX people frankly aren't going to tolerate being bad mouthed by a manager when they can quit and find a job in two days that pays more or if they have employment elsewhere and this is just part time or extra income.

Staff your stores and keep your associates employed. The store I worked at was massively understaffed and instead of that being openly known as a problem when work wasn't finished associates were typically brow beaten for the problem despite not having any control over employee retention and hiring trends.

Hire more managers with soft skills/people skills or send some to a management course that focuses on these skills and develops them.

Make sure your managers are willing to be "hands on". I report to a director at my primary place of employment and when we have an overflow of work she has no problem stepping in and helping, as a good manager would. This quality was severely lacking at this store.

Don't hold associates accountable for management issues. They have no control over the management of the store and never will. If you can't keep employees maybe look to your management team and start there.

At the end of the day, either listen to the feedback of someone with more professional experience than most of your managers or leave the problems and let them fester until your "home office" comes in and deals with the problem which you may not want because that may end with the termination of your management team.

As of writing this you not only lost an employee (I resigned) but you also lost a customer, I shop at HEB exclusively now in Austin after my experience here after seeing the poor behavior several managers (Assistant, Support, Co-Managers) displayed.
    Again I don't believe this is indicative of Wal-Mart as a whole but what I witnessed at this store.

If anyone from corporate (home office) is so inclined, I would look closely into your 35 and Parmer location in Austin, Texas.

Thank you.

4. "Great Company, Bad Management"

Current Employee - Overnight Support Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Overnight Support Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, lots of opportunities, awesome associates

Cons

poorly trained upper management, lack of respect for individual, poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

Actually treat the people under you like people and not a statistic.

5. "M.S"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time

Pros

i have talents a stocker.

Cons

team working good job! help everyone.

Advice to Management

respect

"After all the time spent in this organization!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked my tail off, they told me the absolute soonest I could become an Assistant Manager would be 18 months. I did it in 20, not bad.

Cons

After killing myself for this company, working 5 1/2 years out of 7 as an Overnight Assistant Manager, I got a hernia, didn’t file a workman’s comp claim because I figured the company would take care of its management. Wrong, I was shuffled thru a third party benefits claim company that denied the short-term disability that I’d been paying into for almost 9 years. Protect yourself, because the company considers you as nothing more than a resource to be exploited.

Advice to Management

Work as a team. Most members of management don’t have the slightest idea of what teamwork means, very selfish.

7. "Management"

Current Employee - Manager in Manor, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Manor, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting new people of all ages and size, old an young, an being happy to help

Cons

Not being able to help a customer, because we don't have want they want are having them leave without a smile

Advice to Management

I feel I have the ability to make things better at a places an be a big asset too any company...

8. "Not a long term place"

Former Employee - Cashier in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Walmart (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, flexible hours, career growth

Cons

Very unorganized, higher supervisors are a pain, not enough or too much hours

Advice to Management

Actually treat your employees like people and

9. "My 4 years at Walmart"

Current Employee - Asset Protection in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Asset Protection in Austin, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is alright, and benefits are okay.

Cons

Management, benefits, hours are terrible.

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manor, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manor, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have opportunities to move up or change departments in order to advance your career

Cons

There are seldom enough associates allowed to be scheduled to get all the work done, requiring salaried managers to work unreasonable hours to complete daily tasks.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to stop using algorithms to determine how many hours can be scheduled and instead needs to focus on having enough associates to provide fantastic customer service and clean and well-stocked stores.

Showing 137 of 38,286 reviews