Walmart Reviews in Bloomington, MN | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • friendly good pay big ompany good benefits if you work hard you will do fine (in 1000 reviews)

• Wonderful company for work/life balance (in 231 reviews)

Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 627 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1008 reviews)

1. "Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with, great training experience

Cons

Way too many hours, many 14 hour days

2. "Horrible management"

Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, MN

Pros

Horrible hours and pay. Daily disrespect-unorganized lazy workers and must work on black friday. Crazy busy during Holidays and no pay increase for holidays

Cons

Every manager has you doing things differently daily. Horrible pay and hours. Everything about this company is bogus and will never work at walmart again

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect

3. "Actual work experience does not matter."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is full time work unlike some employers my friends work for. I do have health insurance, paid time off, and set days off.

Cons

Very little pay, annual raises are less than $1. Management is constantly changing so there is little consistency in policy enforcement. We are constantly understaffed and it is a revolving door of the staff we do have.

Advice to Management

Try to build relationships with your staff so they feel like they actually matter.

4. "A good place to work with fair pay and benefits."

Former Employee - Overnight Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Overnight Associate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, benefits, flexible hours and discounts

Cons

Very busy during holidays - and open on holidays

Advice to Management

Reduce holiday hours

5. "Most frustrating and disappointing job I`ve ever had."

Former Employee - Overnight Mod Team/Stocker in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Overnight Mod Team/Stocker in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The overnight associates were some of the best people I`ve worked with.

Cons

Managers seem not to notice associates who wandered the store, wasting time and not doing their work. Other assocs. do assigned jobs and then finish someone else`s job, and still get chewed out for not working fast enough. Walmart`s "My Guide" program allotted wildly inaccurate times for jobs to be completed. Not enough staffing on overnight shifts to cover all of the jobs that needed to be done. Empty shelves blamed on assocs. slacking off when, in truth, those items have not been ordered. Our Pharmacy OTC had no department manager for over 4 months, our HBA dept. had no manager for over 6 months and Cosmetics dept. had no manager for at least 3 months; no one truly really knew who was taking care of what, and that led to some very dissatisfied customers taking out their (understandable) frustrations on the associates. Not all associates receive the same training regarding how jobs are done, store policies, or even what good customer service is. Managers often give conflicting information to questions. Not enough equipment (Telxons, printers, pallet jacks, walkie-talkies) for the assocs. who needed them, and employees are blamed for these missing or broken items. Employees come and go so fast in this company that you rarely know the first name of your co-workers. Shift managers are under tremendous pressure from "upstairs", and end up working hours past their quit time to complete stocking tasks. Walmart will tell employees that there is no overtime; what that means is, you WILL work overtime but your hours will be cut the rest of the week or lunch hours will be extended to "burn off" that overtime.

Advice to Management

Sam Walton said "Listen to the associates on the sales floor; they work with the customers and know what`s going on".

6. "My experience has been good, I have always been treated fairly and with respect."

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are people from every background with experience in every field that you come in contact with every day, you learn a lot from those around you.

Cons

Many things seem to be managed too much. Too many people running the same thing without communication between them.

Advice to Management

Communication is key.

7. "You will get paid more here on average than other electronic associate jobs. (Target, Best Buy, Etc.)"

Current Employee - Electronics Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Electronics Associate in Bloomington, MN

Pros

Pay is generally higher
    Working in a team environment
    Associates are nice
    Easy to get in
    Benefits are good
    You get paid an extra dollar an hour on Sundays
    My share (If the store does well in sales and well in customer service, you get a bonus check. Highest ive seen is $543 dollars and lowest was $53)

Cons

They have right to cut hours if store is not doing well. I went from 32 down to 8 a week while other full time employees went from 40 hours a week down to 32-36.
    Lack of communication between managers and workers
    Store will stay open even if there is bad weather. (It snowed here in Minnesota about 20 inches if I recall in just a few hours and the store stayed open throughout the day and night. I was pretty frustrated seeing as I was a cart pusher at the time)

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees on whats going on with the store
    Quit taking shortcuts
    Order products as necessary
    Have more organization during busy days and communicate where products are located in the store on days like Black Friday so that associates can better help customers through the sea of people.

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - "Sales Associate" in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - "Sales Associate" in Bloomington, MN

Pros

"MyShare" bonus 4 times a year
    The company is unlikely to go under or downsize
    You can learn many areas of retail from one company
    10% discount

Cons

The "MyShare" bonus can be cut anytime even after the quarter ends (we lost $100 because of associate accidents!)

The company gives and take incentives for accidents, blaming those who get hurt at work for loss of incentives and encourages employees to do the same to their fellow associates

Although there are many openings for advancement there are also a lot of broken promises. There was recently an opening for a supervisory position that was promised to no less than 3 people (including myself) so there was a lot of disappointment

Managers are quick to give criticism but not praise

Advice to Management

Don't have a separate set of expectations for your employees. Treat your employees better so you aren't constantly losing good employees and filling the spots just to fill them.

Showing 8 of 29,809 reviews