Walmart Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

3.1
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work (in 1271 reviews)

• Amazing work life balance for an man level job (in 265 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a serious challenge (in 759 reviews)

• They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits (in 1122 reviews)

1. "Good job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in Boston, MA

I have been working at Walmart (More than a year)

Pros

Easy interview, took about 3 minutes for them to offer me the job. Get thanked a lot which is nice. 10% discount after 90 days. Everyday is different and interesting. Get to hear a bunch of stupid questions that make pretty good stories for after work.

Cons

Scheduling is all over the place you can start one day at 4pm and 7am the next. Almost never given the proper equipment to do my job as a sales associate. Shift lengths change every day, anywhere from 4 to 9 hours, so it's hard to get a routine

Advice to Management

Give people a set schedule and the tools they need.

"Very much a positive experience. Contrary to public perception, it seems like a company that cares about its employees"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Raymond, NH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Raymond, NH

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management was very pleasant to work with. The DC general manager, Greg, had my name memorized from the first time we met. He was always sure to say hi.

My department manager was also a very reasonable guy.

Great pay for the work with raises based on time, not merit.

4 day weeks (or 3 if you work weekends). I'm a big fan of 10 hour days. You can get 40 hours in in 4 days and enjoy a 3 day weekend every week. Plus, when overtime is available, that means you can get 10 hours of OT in and still enjoy a regular, 2 day weekend.

Quality benefits. I never had to use the health insurance in any significant way. I heard some people complain about it, though. Dental, vision and loss of work/injury related policies are available. 6% matching 401k and discounted company stock are also great.

Very lax policies on days off. You basically get 12 freebie (non-vacation) days off a year just by calling in ahead of your shift and nobody hounds you about it. It's nice to be able to call in sick and not feel like you have to audibly sound sick.

You can of course schedule time off, too. I was able to get a week off between Thanksgiving and Xmas.

If you get stuck in a department you don't like, there are lots of options. You can't change more than once a year.

This also works for different DCs. Wanna move across the country? Find a DC near that place and transfer there and you'll have a job waiting for you.

Cons

Lack of hours. I don't think this is the case with every shift/department, but the hours were really lacking in Pick at DC 0603 basically from mid-January to back to school.

For this particular DC (Raymond NH), there were some pretty unforgiving commutes during snow storms. The DC literally has no snow days/delays, which I get, but it's scary driving for a 1am shift in the middle of a blizzard when the highways haven't been plowed at all. Some leniency would be very appreciated in dangerous conditions.

Advice to Management

Try and figure out the hours issue. Obviously it's a business that has seasonal fluctuations in demand, but it's brutal going from 50 hour weeks to ones that barely hit 30.

3. "NO CHANCE OF FULL TIME"

Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Wareham, MA
    Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Wareham, MA

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The associates that work there are great

Cons

Management spoke down upon associates over the walkie and in person. Would have customers ask why our manager speaks to us in that way. Hired part time with chance of full time, 3 people were fired in my department, all full time and they continued to keep me on part time.

Advice to Management

Be kind. We'll do more.
    Know policy, in stead of attempting to fire someone without a policy to back it up. Had to fight to save my own job.

4. "Walmart is a craphole"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers. Pretty cool discounts. Free pics w Santa. Sometimes they give you pie and cake in the break room.

Cons

Hell hole. Need I say more? Doesn't matter how nice the people are. It feels like you are a zombie at the cash register.

Advice to Management

I got paid 9. An hour. I am 40 and female. A kid who was 19 and male told me he was making 12. We started the same day. Sexist.

5. "Not Sam Walton’s Walmart anymore"

Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Bellingham, MA
    Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Bellingham, MA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent. Good coworkers

Cons

Customer oriented, no work- life balance. Always short staffed - you will do the work of at least 2 people

"Electronics Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Danvers, MA

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, decent discount, flexible hours

Cons

Almost everything else. There is a lot to say.

Walmart hires very few people to work with you, so as a result, you will end up doing enough work to occupy the time of probably five other people. You will have to cover multiple departments at a time, even if you're in Electronics, Site-to-Store, or other high-maintenance and busy departments. I've had to cover three or more of those departments at a time. Even then, you'll come to expect no reward or even acknowledgment for your back-breaking work.

Despite their surprisingly generous days-off policy, management will guilt you as much as possible to get you out of it, even in the event of a family emergency or debilitating illness. I've had both, and had to deal with a manager basically telling me that I'm making everybody's lives harder, when I knew the schedule and knew my department would be fine that day. One coworker had to work a double-shift after her mother died.

They are absolutely not okay with mistakes.

Management will often set ridiculous goals for the day, including on busy days, and days where you're covering multiple departments. They will not accept "I was way too busy" as a reason. They should know how much is too much, but they just don't seem to care.

If they notice you coming in just 30 seconds late from a break, they will take note, but will only mention it to you if they're mad at you for something else, just to use it as ammo. I am not exaggerating.

One of my coworkers, a black woman, dealt with a ton of racism from customers and was essentially told by management to just deal with it, all while working twice the hours as her coworkers in the same department, often with one day off a week. Only person in her department who was treated that way.

There is an incredible degree of turnover at Walmart because of all of this. Always found it funny that the Walmart company magazine is able to list 5+ year employees on just a few pages, despite being one of the largest employers in the United States. Let that sink in.

I should emphasize that I don't particularly blame my direct managers for this. Management is as communicative and fair as they can be, and I always got the impression that all of the awful things they did were coming from their bosses, and their bosses' bosses, and so on.

If you want to be a manager, your chances aren't terrible, but it's hardly worth it; In-store management, I guarantee, is always twice as busy as you are, and the pay upgrade isn't proportional.

Again, while your experience at Walmart may be different from mine, getting this treatment from multiple managers (and hearing the same thing from people who worked at other stores) I can only assume this is all a product of Walmart's corporate culture: Treat the employees as expendable robots designed to sell, sell, sell. This is not how you compete with Amazon. Please work somewhere else.

Advice to Management

As I said, in-store management usually isn't to blame for this. Change needs to start at the top of the ladder, which I doubt will happen in my lifetime, but if they could do one thing, it's change everything about how this company treats lower-level employees. Hire more people; you can't expect higher productivity otherwise. Pay your employees a living wage or they won't stay. Emphasize a fair balance of workload and treat your employees like human beings.

7. "Wal mart huh"

Former Employee - Electronics Associate in North Reading, MA
    Former Employee - Electronics Associate in North Reading, MA

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

cant think of one good thing to say

Cons

Too many horrible customers. Management is not on top of it. Racial problems

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves and help train people properly. Worst job I ever had

8. "Perfect company for students/inexperienced workers"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Halifax, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Halifax, MA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, stress level, associates, benefits.

Cons

Pay, people, hours, management, policies.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, don't just say you are.

9. "Support Manager"

Current Employee - Support Manager in Lynn, MA
    Current Employee - Support Manager in Lynn, MA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hourly employees that work exageratedly hard

Cons

Walmart higher management does not care for its employees nor believes in leading by example. Frowns on supervisors that want to exceed

Advice to Management

Work side by side with associates instead of always delegating and accept decisions that supervisors make due to that's one of the many functions of a supervisor.

10. "Warehouse"

Former Employee - Muilt Job Postions in Raymond, NH
    Former Employee - Muilt Job Postions in Raymond, NH

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good schedule, great pay, benefits are okay but not great.

Cons

Benefits could be better, Work is hard and physical, Co-workers use to joke about it being a sweat shop.

Advice to Management

If you tell your people something make sure it will happen. Many times been told that work is coming or mandatory OT only for it not to happen.

Showing 107 of 35,041 reviews