Walmart Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

3.1
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1355 reviews)

• "Best environment, work life balance" (in 280 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 805 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1159 reviews)

1. "A good starting point"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Methuen, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Methuen, MA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly coworkers, nearby

Cons

Rude managers, rude customers, too much work

2. "Good benefits"

Former Employee - FID Processor in Raymond, NH
    Former Employee - FID Processor in Raymond, NH

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and pay were comparable if not better to many fortune 500 firms.

Cons

Promoting to management is impossible unless you are one of the "cool" kids.

Advice to Management

Management needs to pay more attention before all the good employees are gone.

3. "Good for students, not for families"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avon, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avon, MA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

hours can work around your school schedule. paid time off is generous once youve been there over 5 years, sick time is very forgiving if in Massachusetts.

Cons

no support from overnight team or upper management team. New scheduling rolling out later in 2018 is not people friendly. Its an employers market and Walmart knows that. If you aren't a department manager don't think you will be getting consistent hours. career path isn't exciting. you are either a department manager, or a manager of a dept. manager, or a manager to that manager. Hard to leave retail once you're in it for a long time!

Advice to Management

listen to your associates needs. simply hearing them isnt listening. All department managers are treated like children and its quite pitiful. Store manager needs to show respect to other people. Respect for the individual is in our creed and it is dismissed almost everyday. Communicate with your team, we have a guy training in New Hampshire this week and it's taken 5 days to realize he's not on vacation! pitiful...

4. "Was an ok starting job"

Former Employee - Cashier in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Boston, MA

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy training with the computers

Cons

High turnover, poor management communication

5. "7/10"

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Brockton, MA
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Brockton, MA

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was good, I loved my coworkers, I got food hours.

Cons

Customers were demanding and just terrible. Not getting paid time and a half on Black Friday.

6. "bad job wasn't consistent"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Boston, MA

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

clean work environment i guess

Cons

pay wasn't good and i got my hours cut

7. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Somersworth, NH
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Somersworth, NH

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a job.

Cons

They will never value their employees as much as the products on their shelves. Everyone is replaceable and nobody matters. I would never work here again.

"Very much a positive experience. Contrary to public perception, it seems like a company that cares about its employees"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Raymond, NH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Raymond, NH

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management was very pleasant to work with. The DC general manager, Greg, had my name memorized from the first time we met. He was always sure to say hi.

My department manager was also a very reasonable guy.

Great pay for the work with raises based on time, not merit.

4 day weeks (or 3 if you work weekends). I'm a big fan of 10 hour days. You can get 40 hours in in 4 days and enjoy a 3 day weekend every week. Plus, when overtime is available, that means you can get 10 hours of OT in and still enjoy a regular, 2 day weekend.

Quality benefits. I never had to use the health insurance in any significant way. I heard some people complain about it, though. Dental, vision and loss of work/injury related policies are available. 6% matching 401k and discounted company stock are also great.

Very lax policies on days off. You basically get 12 freebie (non-vacation) days off a year just by calling in ahead of your shift and nobody hounds you about it. It's nice to be able to call in sick and not feel like you have to audibly sound sick.

You can of course schedule time off, too. I was able to get a week off between Thanksgiving and Xmas.

If you get stuck in a department you don't like, there are lots of options. You can't change more than once a year.

This also works for different DCs. Wanna move across the country? Find a DC near that place and transfer there and you'll have a job waiting for you.

Cons

Lack of hours. I don't think this is the case with every shift/department, but the hours were really lacking in Pick at DC 0603 basically from mid-January to back to school.

For this particular DC (Raymond NH), there were some pretty unforgiving commutes during snow storms. The DC literally has no snow days/delays, which I get, but it's scary driving for a 1am shift in the middle of a blizzard when the highways haven't been plowed at all. Some leniency would be very appreciated in dangerous conditions.

Advice to Management

Try and figure out the hours issue. Obviously it's a business that has seasonal fluctuations in demand, but it's brutal going from 50 hour weeks to ones that barely hit 30.

9. "NO CHANCE OF FULL TIME"

Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Wareham, MA
    Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Wareham, MA

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The associates that work there are great

Cons

Management spoke down upon associates over the walkie and in person. Would have customers ask why our manager speaks to us in that way. Hired part time with chance of full time, 3 people were fired in my department, all full time and they continued to keep me on part time.

Advice to Management

Be kind. We'll do more.
    Know policy, in stead of attempting to fire someone without a policy to back it up. Had to fight to save my own job.

10. "Walmart is a craphole"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers. Pretty cool discounts. Free pics w Santa. Sometimes they give you pie and cake in the break room.

Cons

Hell hole. Need I say more? Doesn't matter how nice the people are. It feels like you are a zombie at the cash register.

Advice to Management

I got paid 9. An hour. I am 40 and female. A kid who was 19 and male told me he was making 12. We started the same day. Sexist.

Showing 115 of 37,463 reviews