Walmart Reviews in Canton, OH | Glassdoor

2.9
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work (in 1271 reviews)

• Amazing work life balance for an man level job (in 265 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a serious challenge (in 759 reviews)

• They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits (in 1122 reviews)

"cashier"

Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Canton, OH

Pros

good hours,pay is good,management is good and works with you.

Cons

none really,i am very happy at my job,and everyone I work with

Advice to Management

keep up the good work,and keep being helpful and friendly to your employees

2. "Mostly positive"

Current Employee - Asset Protection Manager in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Manager in Canton, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, lots of stores hiring almost all of the time. Good for single people or people with no children.

Cons

Focus is always on the customers instead of employees. Not good for family or people who want to do more than live to work.

Advice to Management

Care more about your managers work/life balance

3. "Assitant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Canton, OH

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to help the public and the Walmart associates daily. You can truly be a changing force in an employee's life.

Cons

Terrible schedule as a manager. 4 week rotating schedule with only 1 weekend off in a month. Hours vary from 7-4, 8-6 or 12-10. You are at the mercy of the store manager, they can make the job miserable if they are not happy.

4. "Only if you need a job, otherwise RUN"

Former Employee - Support Manager in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Support Manager in Canton, OH

I worked at Walmart (More than a year)

Pros

Walmart will hire almost anyone and out of desperation I suppose, seeing that their turnover rate is listed at 66% by the WSJ. I suspect it is much higher than that.

Cons

Oh my, where do I start... Pay is not commensurate with duties and because of the size of the company and the number of employees, I would say it has a large negative effect on the industry as a whole. An associate (in no way for the first several years),nor even a Dept. Mgr. or a Support Mgr., can earn a livable wage - a wage that requires no outside assistance to survive. The benefits are not affordable either and one of the worst I have ever had based on out-of-pocket, percentage coverage and employee premiums. Responsibilities are given but authority is not. Major micro-management mentality exists from the top down. The home office in AR seemingly has very, very tight control over all of its locations/stores, i.e. it is nearly impossible to speak with someone at the home office to discuss a very important issue such as a major pay discrepancy. Work/family life balance is nearly nonexistent. I could go on and on and on, but I'll leave with this from a company that has produced several, several billionaires...they even take a fee to make court ordered garnishments such as child support. WOW!

Advice to Management

Just read my comments (as well as others I suspect) and if you have any God given morals and values, I'm sure your talents could be better utilized to take care of those who make the money for the company.

5. "Has its ups and downs"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Canton, OH

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team
    Excellent about working with you
    Promotion opportunities

Cons

Terrible management
    Lack of caring
    Doesn't put employees first

Advice to Management

Know when you have a good employee and understand situations

6. "Just as evil as people say...but now with good pay"

Current Employee - Cashier in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Canton, OH

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comparatively good pay, we actually get to stand on cushioned mats when cashiering (which there have been places I've worked where you can't & trust me, there's a difference), they seem to actually respect the availability you set & if you care about 401K's/mildly expensive health plans/stock options & other such "long term employee benefits" they have good options.

Cons

If you haven't worked there for at least a year & in some cases, longer, many of their benefits are not even available to you. There is little constructive communication from management down to lower levels - they are very good at cheerful words that make you reassured at least somewhat, you walk away & go "but wait, I still don't have any idea about "X"". Their attendance policy doesn't care WHY you may have had to call off - a point is a point is a point. When you have accrued 6 total, out the door you go. (You could have to call off for a major medical emergency for a loved one & unless you've gone thru all the hoops previously for a particular exemption it could get you fired - they don't care) They are working on changing the number you have available, but they are making each action worth more points.....so it doesn't give you any more room or maneuverability. Aaaand....management knows nothing on when it's supposed to kick in, whether points roll over, etc.
    Customers - yes, all jobs have them. Walmart's customers are entitled, spoiled brats for the most part. And if they complain loud enough, no mater how in the WRONG they might be (& they frequently don't need to complain very loud at all) management will roll over & try to "make it better". There is NO support to cashiers vs angry customers, you are told in front of the customer you're wrong, do it this way (note - ask for clarification later & be told you were right, they were just making the customer happy) & the customers know this & flagrantly use this to their advantage. The customers will suck your soul out if you can even survive the underlying callousness of management..... (I'm only still here because pay is good & hard to replace...)

Advice to Management

Know what's going on with policy changes, have a heart toward the lives of employees, stand up for your employees - don't just roll over like a beaten dog for customers because they raised their voice.

7. "Walmart review"

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Canton, OH

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good reason to work at Walmart is that you get to interact with different individuals everyday. It improves your costumer service skills.

Cons

A downside at working at Walmart is no overtime.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key.

8. "Worst holiday season ever"

Former Employee - Unloader Associate in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Unloader Associate in Canton, OH

I worked at Walmart part-time

Pros

The ladies in the hr dept.and my coworkers made everything at least tolerable.

Cons

Pay was horrible. I was an unloader so we had to work all thanksgiving getting ready for black friday. After my long shift I was too tired and frustrated to even eat.

Advice to Management

If you arent going to pay you're employees decent wages at least let them enjoy their holiday with their families.

9. "Walmart is a bad company to work for."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, OH

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company gets interesting on black Friday.

Cons

They work you to death especially when they are under staffed. But yet they say their not. Your hours are like a seesaw and you can't count on a regular pay for your paycheck. And their attendance policy is crap.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your workers that bust their butt to get your products out.

"Could have been better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to become an employee, you'll get cross trained so it makes it easier to find a new job. I was a sales associate, but they cross trained me as a cashier. Also I started out a little above minimum wage

Cons

Get ready to be screamed at! Basically all of the customers hate you, and the store is almost always understaffed. Also if you're seasonal, odds are you'll get laid off, but as they're doing it, they'll tell you to reapply....

Advice to Management

When you're scheduling, schedule employees!!!!

Showing 13 of 35,142 reviews