Walmart Reviews in Canton, OH | Glassdoor

Updated 4 Sep 2019

2.3
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
  1. "Very respectful company to work for."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Canton, OH

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with the many different personalities and cultures that visited daily.

Cons

Working on holidays and missing my all of that time with my family and friends.

Advice to Management

Train your employees to be more supportive towards your customers.

Walmart2019-09-04

"Became a horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Massillon, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is great for the job.

Cons

The management has become arrogant, they will give poor evaluation to you just because they don't like you.

Advice to Management

Go back to respect for the individual, it's insane that managers can yell at you in front of everyone and it's okay but I can't retaliate in return.

Walmart2019-06-09
  3. "Mostly positive"

Current Employee - Asset Protection Manager in Canton, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job security, lots of stores hiring almost all of the time. Good for single people or people with no children.

Cons

Focus is always on the customers instead of employees. Not good for family or people who want to do more than live to work.

Advice to Management

Care more about your managers work/life balance

Walmart2018-03-04
  4. "Assitant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Canton, OH

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The opportunity to help the public and the Walmart associates daily. You can truly be a changing force in an employee's life.

Cons

Terrible schedule as a manager. 4 week rotating schedule with only 1 weekend off in a month. Hours vary from 7-4, 8-6 or 12-10. You are at the mercy of the store manager, they can make the job miserable if they are not happy.

Walmart2017-10-03
  5. "Good Pay, Awful People"

Current Employee - Stocker/Truck Unloader in North Canton, OH

I have been working at Walmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good Pay, 10/hr after three months -Online / smartphone application for viewing pay stub and schedule. -Can request off days outside of the 3 week schedule -Planned out 3 week schedule

Cons

-Angry customers, this applies for any retail -Awful management, recently adapted to a new store manager, only cares about how the store looks and how much revenue it produces, cares not at all for the well being of their employees. -Awful hours in pretty much any position -RETAIL TRAP -No respect for employees whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Grow up, and actually care for the people under you. Yeah, you're higher up in the Walmart tree, but treat people with respect.

Walmart2017-09-20
  6. "Support Manager at Tire & Lube Express"

Former Employee - Support Manager in Alliance, OH

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The application process, although tedious, is fairly easy. The wages are competitive for the industry (large retail). Opportunity does exist for advancement, but sadly many who are promoted from within are sorely lacking in skill. The culture tends to be relaxed and friendly, notwithstanding the usual clicks, rifts, and bad apples that you find in every large company. Walmart offers full time status with benefits,... paid holidays and vacation, personal time off forgiveness, a 10% employee discount, and flexible work schedules.

Cons

Under-staffing is Walmart's most famous con and I felt that pain regularly. When I first starting working for Walmart I was a front end cashier. I was left at my register with no relief in sight for hours; far more than the standard two hour period between breaks. I was a Customer Service Manager for a short while and found it impossible to keep lines down with only 2-3 cashiers on shift. When I paged for help, no... one came to our aid. I was asked to take the position of Support Manager in the Tire & Lube Express, and I quote, "because the department is a wreck and we need you to straighten them out". I inferred that this person offering me the position was judging my character and that assumption was confirmed. In taking the position I was soon harassed and verbally attacked by those under me with no disciplinary support from upper management. I was on my own. My department was continuously under staffed and the customers began to suffer the wait times. I was then reprimanded for doing some of the work myself to help the technicians. I simply couldn't win for losing. No matter what I tried to do or change to ensure a good experience for my customers and relieve stress for techs, it was deemed out of sync with Walmart policies and SoP's, but management could not find a way to resolve the problem of under-staffing.

Advice to Management

It would be advantageous to provide basic business management training for your managers. Whether it be in-store shadowing, similar to an apprenticeship, or a course (certification) that can be found locally or online, all of your managers, associates, and customers would benefit. I also recommend giving more value to the mental health of your employees. I witnessed continuous high levels of stress that were... absolutely avoidable.

Walmart2017-09-12
  7. "Former Automotive service Professional"

Former Employee - Support Manager in Alliance, OH

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you can follow policies to exact specifications without fail or fault you will go far.

Cons

If you cannot follow policies to a exactness you will not work here for long.

Advice to Management

Help grow employees and build a great team. Do not belittle them to force them to do things far beyond their positions within the company.

Walmart2017-08-14
  8. "Cash office and cap team member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Massillon, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people you meet are life long friends.

Cons

No hours even for full time employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates

Walmart2017-02-07
  9. "Only if you need a job, otherwise RUN"

Support Manager in Canton, OH

I worked at Walmart for more than a year

Pros

Walmart will hire almost anyone and out of desperation I suppose, seeing that their turnover rate is listed at 66% by the WSJ. I suspect it is much higher than that.

Cons

Oh my, where do I start... Pay is not commensurate with duties and because of the size of the company and the number of employees, I would say it has a large negative effect on the industry as a whole. An associate (in no way for the first several years),nor even a Dept. Mgr. or a Support Mgr., can earn a livable wage - a wage that requires no outside assistance to survive. The benefits are not affordable either... and one of the worst I have ever had based on out-of-pocket, percentage coverage and employee premiums. Responsibilities are given but authority is not. Major micro-management mentality exists from the top down. The home office in AR seemingly has very, very tight control over all of its locations/stores, i.e. it is nearly impossible to speak with someone at the home office to discuss a very important issue such as a major pay discrepancy. Work/family life balance is nearly nonexistent. I could go on and on and on, but I'll leave with this from a company that has produced several, several billionaires...they even take a fee to make court ordered garnishments such as child support. WOW!

Advice to Management

Just read my comments (as well as others I suspect) and if you have any God given morals and values, I'm sure your talents could be better utilized to take care of those who make the money for the company.

Walmart2016-10-17
  10. "Field Management Intern"

Former Intern - Field Management in Massillon, OH

I worked at Walmart for less than a year

Pros

The culture was team oriented and encouraging.

Cons

The hours can be crazy because the store is open 24/7.

Walmart2016-09-06