Walmart Reviews in Cleveland, OH | Glassdoor

3.1
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1348 reviews)

• "Best environment, work life balance" (in 280 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 801 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1157 reviews)

1. "Loved working there!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours, pay, plenty of room to move up in the company . Everything is great ! Managers were very nice & always helpful. They make sure you’re comfortable with what you’ve learned in your training before putting you at work alone.

Cons

Dealing with rude customers is really the only con , I don’t have much else to say other than that!

2. "Electronics / Layaway/ Dotcom Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with
    Can be advanced in the company

Cons

Favoritism among management
    The hours can be horrible if you have other obligations

3. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great selections of merchandise
    Easy to do your own things

Cons

Management poor
    Customer service is poor
    Crazy people shop there

Advice to Management

Discipline, training, and praise employees rather than negative feedback always

4. "Not good outlook"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart part-time

Pros

-$11 an hour starting pay for hourly associates, full and part time
    -1 hour lunch, two 15 minute breaks
    -Friendly co-workers

Cons

Certain higher-ups in store are too difficult to speak to; make asking for assistance a nightmare. Very rude.

Not enough hours to go around for part-timers. Very little to no hands-on training ("every employee for themselves"). No matter how terrible experience is, MUST wait 6 months to transfer to another location. No 1st shift available, only 2nd shift. ~2pm-11pm/3pm-12am

Advice to Management

Hire people who have knowledge of their job. Need better security; customer and communication skills.

"No work/life balance, hourly associates valued more than you"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pto is very good, pay itself isn’t bad, 6% 401k match

Cons

Whether you end up on day or night shift (they won’t tell you at the interview but you will be forced on to nightshift quickly) there is no work life balance. I have worked every single weekend this year except for a few I used pto on. I worked every holiday this year including thanksgiving and Christmas. Yes we’re closed on Christmas but some people will have to work. I didn’t even get to have a thanksgiving with my family and forget about seeing any friends or family on a normal week. I’ve worked multiple 60, 70 and 80 hour weeks this year with zero compensation in anyway.
    Next they control your scheduling because they don’t believe we can schedule right without corporate guidance. They only allow the bare minimum amount of associates so they can save money. On top of it they allow hourly associates 9 call offs in 6 months. This bare minimum scheduling and relaxed attendance policy means you’re ALWAYS short staffed and stressed trying to make things work and deal with problems.
    Many hourly associates get set schedules, paid OT, automatic raises year over year, 9 free call offs every six months, three weekends off a month, same benefits as salary management and they won’t even get a fraction of the pressure to perform that you will in management. Which is another point in itself most these people are not self motivated individuals and you will have to constantly babysit and push them to get them to work.

In summary this job is not worth 50k a year to kill yourself physically, be stressed constantly and have no home life for friends, family or hobbies. Currently searching for a new opportunity.

Advice to Management

Value your salary managers and treat them more fairly. We are the ones in the trenches trying to make things work with the poor staffing provided to us. Many of us have to physically exhaust ourselves to make ends meet not to mention stay and work extra or extra days. Then the schedules provide no down time to unwind and recover. It’s exhuasting.

6. "Brookpark Walmart"

Current Employee - O/N Support Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - O/N Support Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of different opportunities within the company to go for.

Cons

Depending on what shift you work the managers talk down on certain shift about their productivity even if things are out of your hands.

"Great Company for single individuals"

Current Employee - Supercenter Co-Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Supercenter Co-Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary, incentives,bonus.
    Good training if you are allowed the time to utilize tools given by home office

Cons

Total disconnect home office and stores.
    No family life work balance in any role
    Impossible schedules not 8 hours between shifts.
    "To many Chiefs and not enough Indians".
    Salary managers are focus into many labor intense situations.

Advice to Management

Go back to core beliefs. Company's are never to big to circle back to what brought them to the table. Sams 1st core value was respect for the individual. A individuals time is the most valuable thing they will ever posses . So when leadership fails on family life work balance. We fail on retaining good talent and recruiting new talent. Because at the end of the day an individual will have to choose money or family. Family will eventual win. This is for"Salary manager" in your company. Hourly associates they are protected by law to be respected by employers.
    The second was Strive for excellence .. Continue to drive current process industry leader and Cap program and inventory manage is on right track. Opportunity is in Logistics and Warehouse shipments to stores shortages and overage are not going to work for total company resulting in shrink . plus fail on GSS conversions in stores, a lot of money lost.
    Last is Serve our Customer...which is easy to fix if you fix my 1st point. If your store leadership is happy everyday, this will cascade down to the enter team at store level. End result every customer will be greeted with a smile and associate will go the extra mile for our customer.

8. "My Wal Mart has changed in the years that I have been there. It has gone from good to not so good."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My co workers are the best to work with. Understanding is there and what we go through. Each work day is a new learning experience. Advancement can happen with hard work and dedication. Pay is also a good incentive to work at Wal Mart.

Cons

Management is the greatest challenge. Be more friendly and treat us as adults. Talk to us versus talking down to us. Look at options to a situation before you automatically say no. It is allowed to think outside the box. With this, one would have more happier employees that would want to continue to work at Wal Mart.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and become more human.

9. "Current Manager"

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Yearly Bonus, Discount

Cons

Work/life balance, Hours, Salary Managers evaluation pay increase is minimal

Advice to Management

more training

10. "Cashier experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Walmart part-time

Pros

Slightly above minimum Wage pay was great. Always a fast environment so time flys by quick. Meet some great people hear some great stories. 1 hour lunch break (unpaid). 2 15 minute paid breaks.
    Room for advancement.

Cons

Only get good hours when your availability is open. Wouldnt work with me when I needed a set schedule due to daycare hours. Most of the managment lacks the professional knowlage or training to properly carry out their own position. A lot of workers woth bad attitudes. Break starts right when you leave workstation even though most your doing is walking cause how big the store is your 15 minutes turn into like 5.

Advice to Management

Be faster cleaner and try haveing better attitudes towards customers and co-workers. Just cause your position is higher dont think your their God. Make sure everyones greeting and smiling more yes that means you too.

Showing 34 of 37,351 reviews