Walmart Reviews in Cleveland, OH | Glassdoor

2.9
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1406 reviews)

• "Full marks for work life balance" (in 291 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 840 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1168 reviews)

1. "Loved working there!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours, pay, plenty of room to move up in the company . Everything is great ! Managers were very nice & always helpful. They make sure you’re comfortable with what you’ve learned in your training before putting you at work alone.

Cons

Dealing with rude customers is really the only con , I don’t have much else to say other than that!

2. "Good place to work if you need a job or need to gain management experience out of college"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent and quarterly bonuses. If you find the right store you can find a manager willing to help you grow with the company. They send managers to the academy stores for extra training.

Cons

You have to follow the one best way process but depending on the size of your department you probably find it difficult to get anything else done around your department to make it look good. Managers will give you a hard time about it even if your doing the things you need to be doing. Managers are not supportive and bring down morale but will think they are great.

Advice to Management

It all starts at the top, starting with the market managers to the store managers. Continual trading on best management practices and attitudes need to be implemented for salaried managers. If the market manager come around telling your entire store they suck that doesn’t help morale that is already low. Management needs to learn to be more supportive of their department managers which will help increase morale. Most people don’t come to work wanting to do a bad job, they want to do good work and if managers support them they will see better results and morale boost.

"Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pto, pay and you get insurance, it isn’t very good but better than nothing I suppose

Cons

Decent pay but it’s not worth taking over your life. I’m scheduled every single Friday and Saturday night and work every single holiday including Christmas and thanksgiving nights. Everyone is overworked, stressed and negative atmosphere always. They demand a ton but don’t give you the work force to complete it. They’ll ask you why but if you try to explain problems you’ll be shot down for making excuses.

Advice to Management

Stop the bare minimum scheduling. It stresses out employees and puts a ton of pressure on management, hence why your turnover is awful.

4. "Electronics / Layaway/ Dotcom Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with
    Can be advanced in the company

Cons

Favoritism among management
    The hours can be horrible if you have other obligations

5. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great selections of merchandise
    Easy to do your own things

Cons

Management poor
    Customer service is poor
    Crazy people shop there

Advice to Management

Discipline, training, and praise employees rather than negative feedback always

6. "Not good outlook"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart part-time

Pros

-$11 an hour starting pay for hourly associates, full and part time
    -1 hour lunch, two 15 minute breaks
    -Friendly co-workers

Cons

Certain higher-ups in store are too difficult to speak to; make asking for assistance a nightmare. Very rude.

Not enough hours to go around for part-timers. Very little to no hands-on training ("every employee for themselves"). No matter how terrible experience is, MUST wait 6 months to transfer to another location. No 1st shift available, only 2nd shift. ~2pm-11pm/3pm-12am

Advice to Management

Hire people who have knowledge of their job. Need better security; customer and communication skills.

7. "Brookpark Walmart"

Current Employee - O/N Support Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - O/N Support Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of different opportunities within the company to go for.

Cons

Depending on what shift you work the managers talk down on certain shift about their productivity even if things are out of your hands.

"Great Company for single individuals"

Current Employee - Supercenter Co-Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Supercenter Co-Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary, incentives,bonus.
    Good training if you are allowed the time to utilize tools given by home office

Cons

Total disconnect home office and stores.
    No family life work balance in any role
    Impossible schedules not 8 hours between shifts.
    "To many Chiefs and not enough Indians".
    Salary managers are focus into many labor intense situations.

Advice to Management

Go back to core beliefs. Company's are never to big to circle back to what brought them to the table. Sams 1st core value was respect for the individual. A individuals time is the most valuable thing they will ever posses . So when leadership fails on family life work balance. We fail on retaining good talent and recruiting new talent. Because at the end of the day an individual will have to choose money or family. Family will eventual win. This is for"Salary manager" in your company. Hourly associates they are protected by law to be respected by employers.
    The second was Strive for excellence .. Continue to drive current process industry leader and Cap program and inventory manage is on right track. Opportunity is in Logistics and Warehouse shipments to stores shortages and overage are not going to work for total company resulting in shrink . plus fail on GSS conversions in stores, a lot of money lost.
    Last is Serve our Customer...which is easy to fix if you fix my 1st point. If your store leadership is happy everyday, this will cascade down to the enter team at store level. End result every customer will be greeted with a smile and associate will go the extra mile for our customer.

9. "Current Manager"

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Yearly Bonus, Discount

Cons

Work/life balance, Hours, Salary Managers evaluation pay increase is minimal

Advice to Management

more training

10. "My Wal Mart has changed in the years that I have been there. It has gone from good to not so good."

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My co workers are the best to work with. Understanding is there and what we go through. Each work day is a new learning experience. Advancement can happen with hard work and dedication. Pay is also a good incentive to work at Wal Mart.

Cons

Management is the greatest challenge. Be more friendly and treat us as adults. Talk to us versus talking down to us. Look at options to a situation before you automatically say no. It is allowed to think outside the box. With this, one would have more happier employees that would want to continue to work at Wal Mart.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and become more human.

Showing 35 of 38,352 reviews