Walmart Customer Service Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1304 reviews)

• "great work life balance, shorter commute" (in 271 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be a serious challenge" (in 773 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1133 reviews)

1. "good experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM) in Dickinson, ND
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM) in Dickinson, ND

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

its a great place to work. i loved my coworkers . the managers are nice. hours were good. location. transferabilty.

Cons

for the most part my experience at Wal-Mart has been good and i dont have any complaints at all. it was a good time

Advice to Management

none

2. "Customer service manager"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Career growth opportunities and many locations

Cons

Needs more training for new associates

Advice to Management

Train, train, train,train,train

3. "Good life support"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Omak, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Omak, WA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay (in my area anyways), good benefits for full time employees, good available hours

Cons

My store had some funky management choices now and then, otherwise no real cons.

Advice to Management

Be consistent with your employees across the board

"My personal experience working for this company has been challenging yet very rewarding."

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at Walmart (More than 5 years)

Pros

This position is really rewarding in terms of experience. You learn different ways to address issues with concerned customers and other employees. You will develop great communication skills both over the phone and in person. You become very aware of your surroundings and will be able to overcome obstacles with ease.

Cons

There will be times you might feel overwhelmed with short staffing. Short staffing is something I have experienced in all 4 locations I have worked at. Getting other employees involved when help is needed is sometimes challenging. Keeping your cool when an upset guest is taking their frustrations out on you. All in all if you learn the right communication skills everything will be fine. Patience is key.

"good job to start off with"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Cleveland, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Cleveland, TN

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started at Walmart at 16, great first job to start out with. Learned a lot within retail.

Cons

Not the job to have if you're into customer engagement, interacting with people. Which is not Walmart's forte. It's all about getting product to the floor and having it priced. Must have huge sense of urgency and multi tasking skills.

6. "Go green"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits great associates my store manager David price and assistant manager shannon thigpen are the best 4193 we family and they help me when I need to learn something and very patient

Cons

The pay is not that great you’ll work your butt off and go above and beyond and don’t get recognized by corporate and they still leave us at the same pay the highest we’ll get in 25 cent raised SAM Walton family making all this money off us and can’t up our pay .

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Walmart CSM"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Clovis, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Clovis, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers , Fun party's always after work .

Cons

Nothing i can think of .

Advice to Management

I think my store had great management .

8. "From Cashier to CSM"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Walmart (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co workers are like family
    Depending on department placement and location it can be pleasant
    Vacation time wasn't half bad
    Plenty of opportunities for advancement

Cons

Hours can be all over the place especially in busier departments
    Working certain holidays can be a drag

Advice to Management

Give the smaller stores in the smaller markets the optimal staff required or allow the hours to be shorten down so the small staffed stores can run more efficiently.

9. "North Ames Overnight Shift"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Ames, IA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked for, they have great benefits, a solid management team, and great associates. The opportunity for quarterly bonuses, yearly raises, and a pretty fair point system.

Cons

they don't like people workingovertime, and they are always running the overnight shift on a skeleton , i don't mind doing the job of 4 people in 4 different areas of the store in one night, but other associates do.

Advice to Management

Hire more people when your running your hard workers ragged.

10. "To reduce bottlenecking technology will reduce reliance on people."

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Walmart (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many people can get employment here.

Cons

Not a meritocracy; most everything involved with the decision making and mediating process, occurs because it serves as a praxis of concern for liability and PR image campaigns. You could have owned your own company and had a graduate degree, and you will be started off as a Maintenance worker, or be started as a cashier, with no intention of getting promoted. Usually the reasoning behind this is due to concern that you aren't part of a clique, which too often occurs because they prefer people that don't "rock the boat," or don't rely upon affirmation from those in authority by needing approval. A common trait in companies that become to complacent with success, is they often become afraid to innovate and compel innovation (instead of changing things which often don't resolve the underlying problem.) This can come in the guise of becoming placated by too much egalitarian mediocrity as the locus of focus, where relying too easily on automation and keeping people "on rails" will often be preferred for those that get a job here. It become apparent after awhile that brainwashing techniques are a hallmark of Walmart, where using the 'Robby the Robot' cartoons when cashiers clock in is a nice way of saying, "you are a robot and are easily replaceable" and how the trend is heading where most stores are operated by self-check outs, or will be in the near future. This evidently will transition into how Walmart focuses on hiring as well; where technology can replace people, so too can new hires that can be paid far less than those whom might have been their 10 years, and thus their focus on creating an effective and competent workforce has less interest to the overall operations, when technology can so easily serve as the focus of mediating incompetence in the work place; thus how competent you are will be considered a safety net in operations that cannot easily be replaced could be considered a "pro" for those that don't mind being relegated to a "dead end job."

Advice to Management

Don't rely too heavily on "yes men," and don't take shortsighted opinions as an accurate reflection of what you should believe; too often people will overcompensate by using their mallets of authority to hammer in things that don't fit.