Walmart Customer Service Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1329 reviews)

• "great work life balance, shorter commute" (in 273 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 787 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1144 reviews)

1. "Good life support"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Omak, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Omak, WA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay (in my area anyways), good benefits for full time employees, good available hours

Cons

My store had some funky management choices now and then, otherwise no real cons.

Advice to Management

Be consistent with your employees across the board

2. "Customer Service Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager Supervisor in Blair, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager Supervisor in Blair, NE

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good hours, good pay

Cons

Angry customers yelling at you, working holidays

3. "Customer service supervisor"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Jefferson City, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Jefferson City, MO

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed working with the public and training new associates. Loved helping them when I was able.

Cons

Low pay for what the job entailed. Management wasn't always available when needed. It was hard to make people happy and still follow policies. Although management would just come override you anyway.

Advice to Management

Trust your csms. Show appreciation better to your employees. See them as individuals and help work with them when their lives get the best of them.

4. "Walmart is a horrible company to work for."

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The associates not in management/coworkers are usually very friendly and easy to work with. That’s about all.

Cons

There are SO many reasons NOT to work for this company. First of all the hours are crap. Higher management is ALWAYS cutting hours. I have cashiers and front end employees getting one (maybe two) days a week on the schedule. The pay is FAR less than what other retailers are willing to pay for the same positions - especially for those who go into management with these other retailers - like Aldi, Publix, Target. Mistreatment and disrespect of associates is RAMPANT in Walmart. I have seen many times over where associates were mistreated and even terminated for something that was not their fault. I have worked for Walmart in more than one state and management has been DIRTY to me multiple times and I have also witnessed them be dirty to many other associates. Walmart does NOT care about its associates and management WILL throw you under the bus and not think twice about it!!

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach! You say Walmart is a company that values respect for the individual but I have witnessed many times over that this is not true. You cannot say that this company values respect when I have witnessed management treat both myself and many other associates so dirty. You need to realize that the money should not be your one and only focus. Without the customers and the associates together Walmart would fail to exist!!! Start REALLY treating your associates like they mean something to the company and that they are more than just a number! Also STOP cutting hours to the point that people have to get two jobs just to make ends meet. What is the point in raising the pay if you are just going to cut hours ridiculously after the pay raise goes into effect? People cannot make a living on one day a week!! This is another PRIME EXAMPLE of how much Walmart does not respect nor care about its associates. If the company really cares as they say they do then be willing to give associates decent hours AND pay. You are NOT helping associates by raising the pay and then cutting their hours so bad that they get asked whether they still work for Walmart or not!!

5. "Okay place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Walmart (Less than a year)

Pros

Management was not as bad to other supervisors .
    You get to meet a lot of people with different personalities.

Cons

Management was bad to lower associates.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally.

6. "Would not recommend working here"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Detroit Lakes, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Detroit Lakes, MN

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid time off, summer differential

Cons

Stress, horrible work/home balance, job not worth the pay

Advice to Management

Schedule enough cashiers and customer service associates, and quit blaming CSMs for problems caused by a lack of scheduled employees. Stop piling jobs on CSMs and still expecting them to be able to constantly monitor lines. Stop being condescending, your employees are not stupid and don't deserve to be spoken to as if they are. Teach some radio etiquette and better teamwork, most of the store has zero respect for your front end team and it was very obvious CSMs were looked down on by DMs and management. Make a more pleasant work environment and maybe you wouldn't have such horrible turnover. And follow your set policies! It makes your employees look/feel stupid when they try to enforce policy and you come along and overrule them to break it and give customers their way. There's no point in even writing policies if they won't be followed.

7. "Unacceptable Work environment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits effective day one retroactive

Cons

Unrealistic demands. Overwhelming workload. Treated very poorly.

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees with respect. Have unrealistic, overwhelming demands that require a lot of overtime or sets the employee up for failure. I was an hourly employee and fought daily to not work overtime to meet a long list of duties and responsibilities. Management subsequently threatened my job performance.

8. "Customer service manager"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Career growth opportunities and many locations

Cons

Needs more training for new associates

Advice to Management

Train, train, train,train,train

9. "Great for learning skills, horrible for life"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Duarte, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Duarte, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers, opportunity to advance, discount, chance to gain skills for future employment

Cons

management, lack of unity, customers, constantly changing SOP's, pay, benefits

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and they'll care about your business.

"My personal experience working for this company has been challenging yet very rewarding."

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at Walmart (More than 5 years)

Pros

This position is really rewarding in terms of experience. You learn different ways to address issues with concerned customers and other employees. You will develop great communication skills both over the phone and in person. You become very aware of your surroundings and will be able to overcome obstacles with ease.

Cons

There will be times you might feel overwhelmed with short staffing. Short staffing is something I have experienced in all 4 locations I have worked at. Getting other employees involved when help is needed is sometimes challenging. Keeping your cool when an upset guest is taking their frustrations out on you. All in all if you learn the right communication skills everything will be fine. Patience is key.