Walmart Reviews in Everett, WA | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 652 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1039 reviews)

1. "Possibilities for quick advancement"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Everett, WA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Has great benefits for employees that are full time. They are always about the customer so always smile they love that. :-)

Cons

If only they treated employees like customers there probably wouldn't be as much turn over. Some upper management have a tendency to be rude

Advice to Management

Maybe if there were classes to teach store managers how to respect and not belittle their employees things would be a whole lot better

2. "loader/unloader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

Pros

The people I worked with were great. Pay is good for the location. Lunch and bathroom breaks were decent.

Cons

It's back breaking work. No overtime and if you do have to stay then you have to take the time out of your lunch break so it doesnt count against you.

3. "From the perspective of an overnighter..."

Current Employee - Overnight Frozen/Dairy Stocker in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Overnight Frozen/Dairy Stocker in Everett, WA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Wal-Mart can be a decent job. Not a great job, but a decent job. You'll get paid regularly, get a discount on all general merchandise items and fresh produce, and their benefits package is pretty decent - provided you somehow manage to get hired full-time. Good luck with that.

There's a lot of flexibility in the company to work with or around school schedules, you never take work home with you, and you're never required to work a second after the end of your scheduled shift - no mandatory overtime!

Moving does not come with a period of unemployment; when associates move, they can usually transfer to a store closer to their new location.

Many of the cons listed below may not be a problem in all regions, or in all stores. Store- and Regional-level management make a big difference in the company culture within their sphere of influence, and can make certain decisions on their own.

If you stick with Wal-Mart and budget well, you can make a pretty decent living for yourself. I would not suggest starting a family while in their hourly employ, but you can pay the bills.

Cons

If you're not full-time, you can expect zero benefits.

Stores are almost always consistently, purposely understaffed.

Equipment and supplies are generally in high demand and low supply - this includes small things, like paper towels or napkins in the break rooms, to big things, like pallet jacks and handheld terminals required to do your job.

It's possible to move up in the company, but nobody wants to. Nobody. Move up just enough, and you'll actually make less per hour and lose any kind of positive work/life balance.

You'll have to listen to Wal-Mart radio. All day. Every day. The same songs, in the same order. Fortunately, the playlist is over eight hours long. Unfortunately, you'll still hear the same songs every single day.

Black Friday.

Holidays in general, because while it's possible to ask for time off, it's very difficult to get holidays off. Or weekends.

The Wal-Mart cheer.

Overtime is almost never approved. When asked to stay late, you will also be required to cut the time later that pay period, usually by extending your lunch break - no overtime at all!

Very few opportunities to learn new or valuable skills. Getting out of Wal-Mart can be difficult.

Knee problems, hernias, and bone spurs are very common ailments. You'll also need to pay attention to your shoulders.

I honestly wish this didn't sound so one-sided. Wal-Mart has treated me fairly for my entire stay with the company. I want out more for a lack of fulfillment or opportunities to learn new skills than any problem with the company at large.

Advice to Management

1.) Get a handle on your equipment and supply. Not your incoming merchandise, but your in-store equipment.
    2.) Hire people. You cannot see a sales increase without taking the risk on new hires to stock your shelves and help your customers, and your associates cannot follow company procedure without some more back-up.

4. "Plan to work as hard as you possibly can!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Everett, WA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very fast paced learning as much as you can, provides a vast array of experience that you could not possibly get anywhere else. Develop skills to get things done with as little as possible while meeting a budget.

Cons

Long hours with more work then you could do within one day. No way to balance the work load and time it needs to get done everything done.

Advice to Management

Dont expect recognition for what you do, just hope that someone notices what you do, or get really good at self promotion of your abilities with others.

5. "Walmart is good temporarily"

Current Employee - O/N Dry Grocery/GM Stocker in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - O/N Dry Grocery/GM Stocker in Everett, WA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse work environment. Good coworkers. 10% discount card after 6 months. Hires anyone in need of a job.benefits are okay.

Cons

As an overnigt stocker you have alot of tasks that need to be done before certain times.The pay is too low. Not enough hours. The management is very disrespectful and doesn't care how they speak to their associates.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat others like you want to be treated.M

6. "Each Wal-Mart is different, but overall, only good as a first job"

Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Everett, WA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

> Most of the time the best reason to continue employment at Wal-Mart are the people that you meet. People in similar work experience and expectations can understand how things are and most people are friendly and easy to get along with.

>If you work in the backroom *Inventory Associate/Unloader* you will for sure get at least 32 if not 40 hours every week. Typically one week of 32 hours and the rest are 40 hour weeks.

> One hour lunch

Cons

> Underpaid via average for job duties *$9.75 to start, 40 cent raise after one year. Average is about $10.40 elsewhere, with about the same raise or a bit more*

> If managers play favorites at all, or let anything slack about operations, nothing will go smoothly and most workers will complain constantly

> 40% - 60% of employees are unclear *sometimes non-speaking* at speaking proper English.

> Most of the time your schedule will always be different, rarely the same days off, and usually your days off are split. (Example: Work Sun-Tues, off Wed, work Thurs/Friday, off Saturday. etc)

>Strong lack in communication between management and workers, and even management to other management.

Advice to Management

Keep your workers in line, keep constant communication, and always offer advice about how things can be done within the company guidelines.

7. "Definitely worse jobs, but so many better ones."

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Everett, WA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think the only good thing about working here (other than having a paycheck and cooworker relationships) is that if you can do well at this job you can do well at any job.
    If you are full-time and can make it to a year you get benefits. That includes vacation and sick leave. You get it if you're part-time too, but you have to wait 2 years.

Cons

No benefits for a year if full-time and 2 years if part-time.
    I work as an overnight stocker and they really put the pressure on to complete the freight in the amount of time that the "system" says it should take. That is sometimes possible and sometimes not. Sometimes the times are doable and other times not. Some departments are easy to stock and other require 4 times more work to make the stock time. If you don't make the stock time you can get written up. Three write ups and they can fire you. They do NOT pay enough for this job. There are all kinds of factors that make the job harder and the pressure always ends up on the overnighters. Haven't seen a bonus in more than a year.

Advice to Management

Listen to the ground level employees. I can't stress this enough. When we try to tell you something isn't working it's because know. We've been doing everything we can to make it work and if we're not getting there it's because it will never work. Get a better way of calculating expected stock times. They are often wrong. When they are wrong (and we know they are because we know what can be done in what amount of time) the expected amount of freight does not get worked and valuable, hardworking, experienced employees get in trouble. This severely decreases morale and you end up losing those good employees when they leave.
    When things don't go how you find, really find out why and try to find a better way. If you just put pressure on the managers below you the pressure trickles down to us and the stress level skyrockets while moral plummets. Then all the good workers leave while we get confused new people in and the problem gets worse. We don't get paid nearly enough for what we do.

8. "A horrible, low paid place to work."

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Everett, WA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only thing I can say that Is positive about walmart is the flexibility with scheduling your work hours. Thats it.

Cons

horrible pay

Worst Managers

People Treating you like crap

No listening or communication involved

criminal activity left and right

old people getting treated like garbage

"Good for retail."

Current Employee - Retail in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Retail in Everett, WA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, a variety of schedules and opportunities for advancement, excellent training and a variety of actual trades can be learned as an employee.

Cons

Low starting pay, little respect or sympathy from management. It's incredibly hard to get fired so lazy bastards can hold up entire departments for months and not get let go.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees a bit more. Snide remarks and blatant put downs don't make employees produce better results.

10. "bad benefits"

Former Employee - Instock Clerk in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Instock Clerk in Everett, WA

Pros

40 hours a week guranteed

Cons

benefits package wasn't any good

Advice to Management

just because you have a college degree doesn't mean you know more

Showing 10 of 31,437 reviews