Walmart Reviews in Exton, PA | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 642 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1020 reviews)

1. "Sales Floor associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Exton, PA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my co- workers are pleasant to work with. In fact, they notice how hard I work when management mostly ignores me and gives others credit for what I do.

Cons

Got promoted to department manager then received no training whatsoever. The department was a mess when I took it over. I was working very hard trying to get it in shape. I had no help and no training. My co- workers saw how hard I was working and how well I was doing while working BY MYSELF! Management never asked me how I was doing, nor did they acknowledge ANYTHING I had accomplished. I had no warnings or coaching about anything. One day I was pulled into the office and coldly forced to step down. I was blamed for everything that was wrong in the department. If they would have provided me with the proper training and the proper equipment, I would have had a fair chance to succeed. Stickers for the Garvey guns and batteries for the scanners are almost nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like they have feelings, Don't talk down to people. Provide proper training and equipment. See the whole picture and hear both sides of the story before you judge people, Don't talk about employees behind their backs, either. Don't pull people in three different directions when they already have a lot to get done.

2. "Great company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Exton, PA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Management sucks at their own jobs

Advice to Management

Learn your job better. Or just do your job better

3. "Take it for what it's worth"

Current Employee - WalMart Overnight Stocker in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - WalMart Overnight Stocker in Exton, PA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Easy to get a job at Walmart
    - Easy to get promoted
    - The majority of managers I've worked with are laid back
    - Doesn't require a lot of intellect
    - Customers are nice and not bothersome (overnights anyways)

Cons

- Intensely physical job and will leave you dead tired if you let it
    - Low pay
    - Horrible schedule
    - Never approve vacation time since they're usually short-staffed
    - Boring as can be
    - Work never ends and is repetitive
    - Hard to get recognition for your efforts; the only benefits is a promotion
    - Night shift takes a toll after a few months, let alone a few years
    - Some managers show favoritism
    - Some co-workers are lazy and managers don't enforce equal delegation of work
    - Employee morale is horrible

Advice to Management

A lot of what happens in Walmart overnights is no one's fault, however if you're one of those managers that is OK with exploiting hard-worker subordinates and letting lazy ones slide, you ought not to be a manager. I hate the thought of having to whine to my managers about how beat up I am from being overworked, when it's their job to prevent these situations by delegated work equally and fairly.

4. "STAY AWAY WORK ELSEWHERE!!!"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Exton, PA

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A couple of good customers & a few employees. I just did the work and went home. Just like anyone else. They had the MyShares for employees if the store had done well in certain quarters. Had a party, free lunch, etc if the store was accident free for amount of days.

Cons

Favoritism between the staff especially those who do little to no work. The ones who do work get a hard time from management. I had worked with this one person in maintenance, he didn't do nothing & had me do all the work. Went to certain CSM's & managers to complain about this associate & they did nothing. Don't bother going to management to complain about the employees who don't work because it will be a losing battle. Trust me! I'm glad I don't work at Walmart anymore because the store isn't what it used to be as I heard. Understaffed 24/7 especially in Electronics. Customers would get impatient if there's no help in a department. Customers would get mad if they don't see certain items in the store. They would try to argue with you over it. Don't bother taking off on holidays because they will make you work. They don't care about anyone spending time with their families even on Thanksgiving aka Event Day. Calling for help over the walkie is joke. They never respond back half the time or don't want any bother from those who call for help for a customer especially for Site to Store. I have a feeling that the store will close in the near future if they don't get it together. Sam Walton would be pissed off if he was still alive & seen what the company had become. Store could also use a complete turnaround & new management. Also there can be certain employees call out multiple times & then you have to do not just your work but their work too. The good workers get yelled at for calling out if they were out sick or if something happened to their loved ones.

Advice to Management

Fire those who don't do no work & stop firing those who were good workers. Listen to your employees especially if they have a complaint about the workers who don't work at all. Stop playing favorites because it's only going to make it worst. Treat your employees with dignity & respect. Please answer the walkies if an employee has a customer related question or any sort of concern. Treat the customer like a guest with a lot of respect because they help pay your bills & make your paychecks due to them shopping there. Confront the worthless employees that don't do no work to not call out for no apparent reason. The ones who are good workers shouldn't get scolded for calling out if they or a loved one is sick. Remember most people have things going on outside the workforce too! Also management shouldn't have the workers multitask over their work along with doing the work of the other's work. It would be stressful due to falling behind!

"Some stores okay. This one is not"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Exton, PA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick advancement
    Decent starting pay

Cons

Hard work
    Stressful
    Customers are uneducated and/or mean
    Little training
    Barely any bonuses if any at all
    Senior management doesn't let you do what needs to be done
    Understaffed

Advice to Management

Get rid of the ridiculous amounts of clearance. Be proactive not reactive

6. "illegal retaliation, employee abuse, and a well established atmosphere of fear of reporting"

Former Employee - Assembler in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Assembler in Exton, PA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

if you want to contribute to the loss of civil and human rights, and the desacration of everything that is supposed to be great about our country, then its great

Cons

in 10-years there I have seen evil and illegal activity going on, and the employees are so scared to say anything its just shameful and pitiful. they just pretend everything is ok and watch a mentally handicapped girl being abused by the store manager. walmart has masterfully perfcted the use of widespread fear of reporting to keep them out of trouble and keep employees quiet.

Advice to Management

Be human, Speak-up when you see something wrong, and by all means don't take part in it or participate in the cover-up. You know what goes on in there. Don't come on here and say nice things and pretend its alright. everybody knows

7. "Wal-Mart is great for those able to adapt to constant change; if not, find a different industry to work in!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Exton, PA

Pros

Job security and career advancement are two of the top reasons although their are many others that aren't truly realized until you are a part of the Wal-Mart family. It's important to realize that Wal-Mart is really no different than any other retailer when it comes to stress and wages. Each Wal-Mart store is its own family and, as in life, some families are dysfunctional while others grow together; this is why it's also important not to point a finger at Wal-Mart as a company when a specific store is having problems. Overall, Wal-Mart is a great company to work for!

By the way, it's also worth noting that Wal-Mart associates receive quarterly cash bonuses of up to $450.

Cons

Stress and poor communication that leads to additional stress! It's honestly difficult to think of a true downside that is exclusive to being with Wal-Mart. I guess the only thing is the inability for many of the long term associates to adapt to changes currently underway at Wal-Mart. Again, though, this is not a problem exclusive to Wal-Mart, all retail chains must change to adapt to changing times in the industry. It's the companies like Circuit City that fail to implement change year after year that are destined to fail. I feel more secure working for a company that is always changing than for one that continues to do the same thing year after year!

Advice to Management

I would say that the resistance to change throughout the company can not continue to be ignored. We need to change to stay competitive, but to do so successfully we need to understand how the changes will affect our long term associates and discover new ways to get these associates bought in to the changes. Continuing to push forward at the current rate is causing confusion and frustration for management and hourly associates. Consideration has to be given to those stores within each market that are currently experiencing problems with staffing or other operational breakdowns and action plans need to be in place to ensure those stores and roll out the new changes. If that means that one or two stores in a market will be behind with a specific roll out than so be it, but pushing ahead when the foundation of a store is not sound is proving to be disastrous!

Showing 7 of 30,515 reviews