Walmart Reviews in Fort Collins, CO | Glassdoor

2.1
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay and benifits liked the work (in 1173 reviews)

• Amazing work life balance for an man level job (in 255 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance benefits restructuring (in 708 reviews)

• Not enough hrs avalible for full time emoyment (in 1083 reviews)

1. "Great starting work/killed my personality"

Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked around my school schedule
    As a cashier, it was kind of brainless work which helped me during finals
    Transferring to locations during summer break was easy

Cons

The repetitive motions were boring sometimes
    Eventually, doing the same thing over and over killed my positive personality
    I saw a lot of people getting promotions when I wasn't getting them

2. "Maintenance Associate"

Current Employee - Maintenance Associate in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Maintenance Associate in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive management team, caring coworkers, nice customers at times, good benefits if you are full time.

Cons

Work is boring, if you work outside good luck surviving Summer, upper Walmart doesn’t care about you, low pay, no benefits unless youre full time, no holidays off.

Advice to Management

Start running Black Friday on Friday NOT Thanksgiving. Let employees have important Holidays off, give more benefits to your employees, stop preaching the almighty dollar, let your associates transfer departments if they are sick of the same work.

3. "You don't have value and you are treated as such"

Current Employee - Associate in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Associate in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Near 100% Guarantee employment

-Ten Dollars and hour in the state I work for them in (Colorado, and minimum wage here is $9.30)

Cons

-You as a person don't matter, and they treat you as such

-Management is on a "buddy-buddy" relationship with management within the same department. So seeking help with a situation will result in getting reprimanded. However they will coach you (a term they use in place of of being written up) about something not even related to what happened, or something that was a minor part of the original issue you had, but they blew it to a point that it's then a issue

-Huge holes in communication between different departments. So you are told one thing, then told something different but then get in trouble for not doing it the way you were told by the first person.

-Customers are number one, but employees hold zero importance. Even though the employees are the ones stocking and organizing (zoning in their terms) the items for the customers to purchase.

-Heavy reliance on their computer based training they call "Pathways". However a lack of hands-on training and constructive guidance is a huge problem that is going on. So you get little to no training outside of the digital environment and get yelled at and belittled because of it when you are struggling to do your job well enough.

Advice to Management

Treat your people like living, breathing human beings. Not like a piece of machinery or a tool to use until it breaks then go and find a new one to use.

And train your management to properly train new employees, and teach the management that running your staff into the ground and then some more is not healthy way to run a business not a ethical way to treat the people who work for you.

4. "Inventory Control Supervisor"

Former Employee - Inventory Control Supervisor in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Inventory Control Supervisor in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You'll get regular hours and can get the days off you want with reasonable lead time. The health insurance is pretty good for a competitive price. They match 401K contributions up to 6% and have a good stock purchase program from your check if you can do it. If you make the right friends moving up isn't hard.

Cons

Management felt mostly by email before I left. Who your manager is will determine some of your experience, but they don't generally coordinate with each other or know what you might be doing for another manager. Their priority is getting their stuff done regardless of what else you might need to be doing. If they have the right connections and are looking to move up, you might be overloaded so they can write you up and say "I wrote them up, promote me". Many people are more interested in creating problems so they can "solve" them then they are in actually improving things. If you don't make the right friends, moving up is very hard.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with each other so that you stop interrupting what we are told by other managers are priority tasks. Recognize when someone is skimping on their work to make time to schmooze, which causes others to take longer because they're completing others' work before they can start their own. Realize when someone is working across shifts and don't give them 8 hours of work for the first 4 hours and another 8 hours for the last 4 hours.

5. "Walmart is better then you think"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

not bad pay
    Work well with schedules
    Helped me through family matter
    Some management was helpful and tried to work with you to complete goals

Cons

Some management is lazy and try to guilt you into doing work that they should do
    Pay increases are slow and not a lot

Advice to Management

work harder

6. "Walmart Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People were great that I worked with. Team was great.

Cons

Unload freight daily due to call ins. Salary low throughout company.

7. "great start"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly supervisors and co-workers that are happy to answer questions and take time to train you. Better pay than comparable companies.

Cons

Big store - a lot of inventory and customer service details to remember

8. "Walmart doesn't care about anyone"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

The job is easy pretty much no matter where you are at in the store. Good job for high school or college.

Cons

It doesn't matter how hard you work, you will still make half what you can if you just quit and go somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Shop at Target

9. "it was ok."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

slow pace that was very boring at times

Cons

limited pay that was hard to make real life work

Advice to Management

stop being lazy

10. "For me, working at this Walmart store was stressful, exhausting and depressing."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was fortunate to secure a position quickly after applying online, and I needed a job immediately. I was also fortunate to get a position in one of the highest paid store departments, beginning at a higher pay grade than many new employees.

Cons

Especially lower level managers are quite young and naively sold on the corporate agenda. Their demographics seem to perpetuate the lacking democracy, creative problem solving and prioritizing moral or ethical principles over store/corporate policies or higher management agendas. For most of its employees, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. does not pay a living wage in today's economy. This is

Advice to Management

Support unionization and union operations of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. employees. The corporation has too great an impact on economic, social and community issues, both in the U.S. and globally, for unions to be blocked at the store and other lower levels of the corporation. Blocking or discouraging unions is a disservice to critical causes, American and worldwide, and ultimately it's self-destructive, even for store managers.

Showing 10 of 33,334 reviews