Walmart Reviews in Harrisburg, PA | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 859 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1176 reviews)

1. "ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Walmart (More than a year)

Pros

not bad place too work

Cons

no set schedule. weird shifts.

"terrible co."

Former Employee - Cashier/CSM in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier/CSM in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

there are no pros uless u are grandfathered in

Cons

the entire company. Sam is rolling over in his grave. his family should b ashamed of themselves

Advice to Management

take a look at the real world. you treat associates worse than dogs.

3. "Not worth it"

Current Employee - Iventory Contol Specialist in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Iventory Contol Specialist in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There arent any pros walmart is a bad company to work for today it wasnt when they first started but over the years new ceo's etc... became greedy

Cons

Pay sucks, legal sweat shop, gready company, bad compant to work for, some managers racialy profile against black

Advice to Management

Better the pay

4. "Good first job for young people"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good place in the first few months, everyone was new and the managers were very friendly helped you with and questions you had.

Cons

4 months into the job, everyone`s hours were cut short to 12 to 18 a week, except for those that sucked up to the managers. We were informed that we were not getting any benefits until we became full time employees of which we never were because none of us were giving the hours of a regular employee. The pay was horrible. A lot of people quit out of frustration. There was a new set of people in training every other day.

Advice to Management

Know who your hard workers are and encourage them. Stop allowing the lazy ones to fool you because the long hours they spend chatting with you and gossiping about others, they could have used it to be doing their job and not looking at what everyone else is doing.

5. "Not As Advertised"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Personal benefit programs/compensation are outstanding. Corporate vision and goals are motivational. Community involvement is encouraged at corporate level. Very diverse culture with focus on educational awareness and self-help.

Cons

Although the corporate vision attracts you into the company, you must follow the vision of your store manager which will many times be a complete opposite of the vision of the corporation. At the retail store management level, profitability trumps all corporate designs in place to protect you from age, race, sex discrimination, unfair working conditions, and the complete unwillingness to abide by religious and family responsibilities the company claims they follow. When you are salaried expect to spend a minimum of 60 hours per week verses the 40-45 hours as initially told and be prepared to work 75 hours a week at least once a month. Be prepared at a moments notice to work overnight one week and go right back to dayshift within a day's break. Although the corporate claim is that you have alternate shifts and department responsibilities that remain in place for 6 months be prepared to shift those responsibilities monthly and once you are assigned overnight prepare to spend at least one year in that time slot.

Advice to Management

Store Managers are not held accountable to following the complete vision of the company and will compromise every rule in the book to show profitability. The company is too large to hold store managers accountable. Many of the store managers delay filling outstanding associate positions to match the sales trend rather than immediately filling open positions and allowing accurate coverage to drive sales. Store Managers need to go to an annual refresher "Walmart Ready" training course and be held for performance based on the established and tested practices rather than being allowed to manage in their own style.

6. "OK to Work For..."

Current Employee - Market Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Market Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and Benefits
    Builds your resume

Cons

Management does not listen to internal associates.

"It started off as a great place to work but has deteriorated over the years."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I get paid pretty well.

Cons

There is no continuity in the treatment of associates. Management chooses when to follow the rules and with whom.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism. Stop choosing people to fill open positions before they even interview for them. Everyone should have a fair chance. Don't allow some to come in late or leave early and excuse it when others are penalized for the same thing.

8. "I liked working for Walmart, but also very interesting and intimidated."

Former Employee - Supervisor in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Guaranteed 40 hours, friendly associates, most every associate worked for their paycheck, pay was good.

Cons

Management team not very helpful, Management talked about others personal information with associates, Management only worry about themselves. They never gave credit where credit was due.

9. "NOT TO GREAT EXP."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

The only good part of this job was the discount that you get after working for a few weeks. That and the fact that they are located everywhere, so no one's commute is long.

Cons

I hated this job. Worst crew to work with ever. I really wish I wouldn't have even applied. Nothing but problems after my first two weeks there. Cranky managers, miserable coworkers, etc.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to interact more directly with the personnel who work for you. Not one manager would spent more than a few seconds with anyone who wasn't as high as them.

Showing 9 of 38,756 reviews