Walmart Reviews in Irvine, CA | Glassdoor

Doug McMillon
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 642 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1020 reviews)

1. "review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The organization is fully supporting career development

Cons

salary are very very good.

Advice to Management

Keep the price the best in the industry

2. "Division Merchandise Director"

Former Employee - Division Merchandise Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Division Merchandise Director in Irvine, CA

Pros

Opportunities to make a difference, if you choose to. At the manager/director level the compensation package is great.

Cons

Slow to change on some things, too quick to change on others (lack adequate research and testing).. A lack of recognition of their people weaknesses when employing new technology and processes. Institutionalized acceptance of less than optimal store standards (cleanliness, in-stock, service).

Advice to Management

Look deeper into the managerial ranks for outside experience that can contribute more innovative and effective solutions to the challenges that face the company. Higher level leadership needs to be involved to effect this change, as the lower managerial ranks are not in that mindspace.

3. "Working for Walmart is what you make of it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Walmart is a highly diversified workplace. The structure of the company is such that you will experience a wide variety of supervisors and managers. At this Walmart there were many opportunities offered to move around. There were lateral positions, upwardly mobile positions, and positions of lesser responsibility, all available to me as an employee. I enjoyed my experience there and stayed with this store for about 16 months. Requesting time off was never a problem as long as I provided ample notice. FYI... no time off in retail from Thanksgiving to New Years so I never asked during this period. The management pushed us hard but we always maxed our bonus. I really enjoyed that!

Cons

There were several challenges, but the biggest one is that it is impossible to earn a "living" wage working for Walmart as long as you remain an hourly employee. At least this is true if you live in Orange County, CA. I would have liked to move into a salaried position, it didn't happen, so I moved on to another company that would recognize my talents and abilities.

Advice to Management

In a company as large as this, in a store as large as this, it is pretty difficult to stand out from the crowd. We had some awesome Assistant Managers that tried to promote the hourly employees. Listen to them, they want the store to succeed and they want their bonus too. They wouldn't advocate for someone if they didn't feel they were capable. Additionally, the Assistant Managers are the ones that work with the hourly employees so they do know a bit about them, their capabilities, and where they could best be used in this company.

4. "Fast paced , learned a lot ."

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Irvine, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Huge company and room for growth

Cons

Never know what schedule you will be working, Pay is not very high

Advice to Management

More flexibility

Showing 4 of 30,544 reviews