Walmart Reviews in Kalamazoo, MI | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 663 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1058 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Supervisor"

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get decent breaks and decent pay

Cons

the upper management are lazy and mean to lower scale employees and to customers. They don't treat the customers like they're supposed to, and they dont work with your doctors appointments. They also show a lot of favoritism towards employees

Advice to Management

Treat your lower ranking employees some more respect and gratitude for the work they do. Try to be friendlier to other employees and customers. That was Sam's rules in the first place.

2. "the truth about this store"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nothing good to share about store 5064

Cons

you get verbal abuse from customers on a daily basis just cause they don't have the money or you look at them the wrong way. I watch unpaid items walk out the door cause im not allowed to stop them and we're short on security. They throw away pounds of food that could feed the hungry/homeless in our neighborhoods. u scan is the dumbest setup making it the easiest way for theft . Not enough associates on the sales floor

Advice to Management

get some real security in the building, get rid of u scan or add more u scan attendants to watch. need more sales associates, running your associates thin and having less eyes on customers to slow theft

3. "Deli"

Current Employee - Deli Associate in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food, discounts, friends, close to home.

Cons

Not enough workers, Not enough $, Not enough appreciation.

Advice to Management

Hire, Hire, Hire, GOOD WORKERS that will WORK!

4. "Adequate part time job"

Current Employee - Stocker in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Stocker in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and good pay for a college student to make some extra money during school and the job are easy

Cons

The cons of working here are the job gets reparative and there is not a lot of room for advancement

Advice to Management

None

5. "Deli Clerk"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay wasn't bad, convenience, having subway inside the building, potential for meeting lots of new people and networking

Cons

8/10 managers will treat you like dirt, terrible scheduling, they will keep you just below full time to avoid providing benefits, little to no possibility of advancement from the deli, no cross-training was allowed except maybe to the bakery... Just overall a very poor experience

Advice to Management

Give your workers the opportunity to cross train in other departments so they can move up! Nobody higher than my department supervisor paid any attention to the needs of the deli department and it was beyond pathetic. You really need to improve how you train your management team. It's like most of them were trained to mistreat their employees. Reports of bullying by lower management to upper management were largely ignored, favoritism was rampant. Most importantly though... Schedule your employees fairly! I was consistently scheduled between 35- 38 hours every week and then have my hours cut down to 20-25 to avoid providing benefits! This is shady and unfair!

6. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Walmart (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company culture. The history of the company creates a unique culture and has created a retail organization like no other.

Cons

Always evolving and changing direction (which is not always a bad thing) making it difficult to keep in alignment with priorities.

7. "Upper Management"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some great people to work with there

Cons

Upper management limit people growth opportunity

Advice to Management

Get involve more in the store day to day running

8. "Customer Service Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM) in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM) in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, potential for bonuses, tuition discount at APUS

Cons

Management is mostly incompetent and poorly trained. Hours fluctuate, time off requests denied, will work you full time hours for weeks and than drop you down before they are forced to make you full time, sick day system is a nightmare and if management enters your absences wrong, you still get into trouble. If you're good at your position, you're stuck.

Advice to Management

Don't expect to treat your employees horribly, hide in your offices all day, and expect your store to run smoothly. Staff your stores appropriately especially when it comes to the front end. Your CSM's and cashiers shouldn't take all the abuse for your cheapness when it comes to scheduling.

9. "Wal-Mart..."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are always room for development and growth within the company. They do promote many of their employees.

Cons

The place as a whole is not a good company. At the end of the day they only care about cutting costs and making money... not their employees. I am a manager and it has been years since I have had a full crew to operate with. Now they are cutting full timers anywhere they can. Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available.

Advice to Management

Most managers are poorly trained and that affects their associates. The company should put more effort into training their management teams.

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to gain valuable experience working a leadership postion and learning the front lines of the retail industry.

Cons

Don't be fooled like I was by a recruiter after finishing college. Wal-mart has low prices because they maintain low cost operations. The only expenses controllable at store level include wages and markdowns.

Hours for hourly associates consistently being cut leaving Assistant Managers no help to work freight, take care of overstock, and maintain store standards.

Assistant Managers have the only position in the company that relies on annual sales for raises eligibility. The next levels up in management do not receive raises, but can potentially earn very hefty bonuses in regards to meeting annual sales and profit goals.

If you don't meet annualy sales goals, you are deemed a "development needed" status in your annual evaluation, this makes it difficult to transfer or move up in the company. During my 3 years with Wal-Mart I know of 1 Assistant Manager to be promoted to a Shift Manager in that time.

I have worked for the company for 3 years and have not received a raise based on annual sales goals, and I am blamed because of time management and delegation opportunities. Since hours are being cut, there are few associates to delegate work to and freight always needs to be worked..how am I supposed to have time to improve store standards and make it presentable for our customers?

There are over 40 Assistant Managers in my market and fewer than 20 Shift Managers, this makes it very hard to be promoted. Most Assistant Managers have been with the company over 5 years and many have been in their same role for close to or over 10 years. I am a low person on the totem pole and my store's financials leave me pretty much no opportunities for a promotion. I feel I am just treading water check by check.

The only time the stores focus on significantly improving sales floor presentation is when Area Directors and other members of Upper Management plan to visit the store. Its so bad, that stores send their associates to other stores for days to provide adequite help to clean up the store being visited, this obviously leaves the stores sending help short handed..So guess who picks up the slack? Cleaning for upper management and not for everyday customers is wrong and has a negative affect on associate morale.

Also there are mandatory 50 hr work weeks from October to January 1, plus 50 hr work weeks during inventory months, when extra work has to be done they make us, the first level salaried members of managment, work extra for no extra pay or incentive.

Advice to Management

Take care of your Assistant Managers.

Showing 18 of 31,948 reviews