Walmart Reviews in La Crosse, WI | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1369 reviews)

• "Best environment, work life balance" (in 286 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 819 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1161 reviews)

1. "Enrolled at Western Technical College"

Current Employee - Stockman in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Stockman in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

~Family like co-workers (associates)
    ~Great opportunity for benefits (insurance, 401k)
    ~Willing to give the term “student-employee” a meaning. Management gave me the opportunity to excel in people skills and work experience.

Cons

Looking for a different type of direction in my life and a new type of setting. I have enjoyed almost every single second here and I’m very happy with my life. That being said, I want to find other happiness in the work I do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The Walmart associates and I are very pleased with the work done. You are all great role models and we’re kind to my future.

2. "Great company, Decent pay for entry-level"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The environment: it's a friendly place where everyone is seen as valuable. The open door policy makes it easy to talk about your concerns, and to make it the best experience possible.
    2. The pay: Walmart doesn't have a super-competitive pay, but with the lowest position being $9 per hour and guaranteed increase to $10, you'd be hard-pressed to find an entry-level job with that kind of pay. Remember, highschoolers, elderly people, and people with disabilities all have available positions and will start with at least $9 per hour!
    3. It is super easy to advance if you have initiative. If you're a hard worker and friendly with customers, you will advance much more quickly than you might think.

Cons

1. If you're someone with real job experience and/or a college degree, then you can probably find a place that will pay you better.
    2. The insurance options are good, but not great.
    3. You may find some people or managers you don't get along with, but that happens everywhere.

3. "work from home"

Current Employee - Customer Evaluator in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Evaluator in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

a very reputable company every one will want to work

Cons

good management and quality service for all staff's

4. "Love Walmart"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, manager will fix schedule according to school and personal life.

Cons

No discount on food, only 10% discount on most stuff.

Advice to Management

Nothing really,

5. "Meat/ Produce Order Filler"

Current Employee - Meat/Produce Order Filler in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Meat/Produce Order Filler in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tight nit, get treated pretty well. Pay is really good for the work. Things that they do to appreciate the employees is great. Management is pretty good

Cons

Long hours, some management is not that great. Short breaks and very hard work. New transfer policy says you have to wait a year to transfer to a new job

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and maybe give them longer breaks. Change the transfer policy because if you dont i feel you will lose alot of good workers

6. "Drab pit"

Former Employee - Sales Associate Later CSM in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Later CSM in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

steady pay, nothing else really

Cons

if you want to go anywhere in the company don't count on hard work to do it, you'll need to get your nose dirty.

Advice to Management

a policy should be a policy, managers who stick to policy only when they feel like it should be fired. Also try caring for associates

"Wouldn't go back if they offered a million dollars..."

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Usually approves the time you need off and very understanding about family obligations that you need to meet. Very sweet personnel staff.

Cons

Trainers don't know what they are doing, overly aggressive, Open Door Policy is a sham - they WILL retaliate (despite the "No Retaliation" policy), low pay for almost everyone in the store. Have you work late at night and then have you work extremely early hours the next day. If you switch departments, you can't switch for another six months even if it's not all it's cracked up to be. Some areas have very poor training - if any at all! The electronics department expects people to know what they're doing, right away, with no training.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites. Take the Open Door Policy more seriously. Communicate with your CSM's and employees better. Morning meetings don't count. I was assaulted, told management, management told me they'd let the CSM's know I need to be put with someone else, but the next morning, the CSM that was there in the morning had no clue what was going on and the same lady was there to train me. I had to tell the CSM, in front of everyone, what had happened and that I couldn't work with the person who was training me. I would rather not get into what happened thereafter, but I was called into the office, retaliation DID happen, and even after that when people asked what happened, even some CSM's agreed that the other management handled the situation POORLY. I quit, but have since been begged to come back. The only good selling point is again, the ladies in personnel are very sweet - but once you step onto that sales floor, it's all a loss! Organize what you need done more. That is one of the hugest problems of this store - SO disorganized. Again, treat your employees better and take the Open Door Policy and No Retaliation more seriously. There's a sign in the personnel room talking about the turnover rate and what you could do to improve that - realize that without your employees, you have nothing. In orientation, you talk about it, but you don't really execute it the way it should be done. Your employees ARE your customers! Remember that.

Being five minutes early for work should not be grounds for getting coached or getting talked to. If someone's an hour early, then maybe, but five minutes is not enough to start the coaching. On a lesser note, is it really necessary to be prompted to ask someone if they want a 2 year replacement plan on a magazine? I get the electronics, but a magazine, really? Don't assume the cashiers aren't greeting the customers because you didn't see it while you were standing by the clothes, we more than likely did - there's a given number of us working at any time - there's no way you'd be able to tell if we all did or didn't. Lastly, remember you were new once too. You didn't become management overnight.

8. "I hate the work, but I'm trying to work my way up-maybe I'll like it then:P"

Current Employee - Walmart in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Walmart in La Crosse, WI

Pros

The pay is a bit more than anywhere else and you're eligible for a raise every year. You also get paid vacation depending on how many hours you work which is super nice!

Cons

The certain people I work with, I don't enjoy. One of the managers ALWAYS makes me feel like I'm not doing work fast enough.

Advice to Management

Give more raises:)

9. "It is a job it you need one, if you get a better offer take it."

Former Employee - Department Manager in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Department Manager in La Crosse, WI

Pros

The discount that is given, it is only ten percent, but every penny counts.

Cons

There are lots! Under-appreciated, low pay and if the management is not doing their job you get the brunt of it. The jobs are low paying and this means that many people just don't care if they are fired or quit. That means that as a manager or even a regular employee, you are going to get shafted when you are the only person in your department unloading a truck or taking inventory.

Advice to Management

Realize the excellent and employee are there for your benefit, but not to be taken advantage of. This will only result in a high turn around with a loss of the best.

Showing 9 of 37,794 reviews