Walmart Reviews in Lexington, KY | Glassdoor

2.4
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1406 reviews)

• "Full marks for work life balance" (in 291 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 840 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1168 reviews)

1. "very good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

Pros

offers better than avg. pay and benefits for retail, very good about time off and flexible, work with some real nice and talented people

Cons

large co. sometimes it takes to long to get the wheels turning over an issue, can not get to the person needed in a timely manner

Advice to Management

give local management. more freedom to determine what type on mdse. they want to promote to match thier customers and areas of the country

2. "Stocker"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Stanford, KY
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Stanford, KY

I worked at Walmart (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and discounts and pay above average

Cons

Management been at job for many years , a lottle out of touch

Advice to Management

Younger more modern managers consistency

3. "General Worker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I worked at Walmart full-time

Pros

Some employee discounts are generous.

Cons

Disrespect by management towards employees; lack of compassion and basic consideration....management can be arrogant--you are working at WAL-MART, not WALL STREET!

Advice to Management

Stop being condescending to employees.

4. "Fair trade off for pay"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Georgetown, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Georgetown, KY

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay in comparison to other jobs that would hire you without a degree. Great program for students.

Cons

Now they’re trying this “One Best Way” policy for every area in the stores and it kills morale and doesn’t make any sense. They don’t have a problem getting rid of people who have been their for a life time if it’s going to cut into their bottom dollar.

Advice to Management

If every manager was to treat their associates the way they would want to be treated, it would be the perfect place to work and San Walton would still be proud of his company

5. "3rd shift Maintenance Associate"

Former Employee - Third Shift Maintenance Associate in Georgetown, KY
    Former Employee - Third Shift Maintenance Associate in Georgetown, KY

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Walmart, There were Good benefits, The pay was very good, I always had Dependable hours and the best part is I had Friendly coworkers.

Cons

Unfortunately, despite it being a good job, I had a few disagreements with management. Our team leader, always seemed a little bit dictative, and management was always on her side and not ours. My coworkers thought the same as me and this is the reason I left.

Advice to Management

My recommendation to Walmart Management, would be that, despite others having a higher role they should take everyone's opinion to the same extent. I would also say that if one coworker has multiple reports on them appropriate action should be taken.

6. "Too strict"

Former Employee - Cashier in Winchester, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Winchester, KY

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Will train well so it’s easy work

Cons

Got sick during my 90 day probation and had to go in the hospital. I missed a total of 9 days I was only allowed to miss 4 days. So once I got better I went to work only to find out they fired me. So much for caring about the wellbeing of there employees.

Advice to Management

Cut that 4 days missed out

7. "Not what i used to be"

Current Employee - Auto Tech in Winchester, KY
    Current Employee - Auto Tech in Winchester, KY

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits safe working conditions

Cons

Short staffing management don't listen or seem to care

Advice to Management

listen to your employees follow the advice of the company founder and Walmart could be great again one day

8. "After 2 years, it has become a painful job rather than a hopeful career."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Often get to be in control of my own to-do lists, choosing when to do various tasks and taking breaks whenever I feel like doing so.
    Meal breaks are very flexible. You can take 30 minutes to one hour to eat some food after your first 3 hours of work, making the longer shifts more bearable.

Cons

Too many managers, not enough co-workers.
    Not enough hours to be able to save money and make my life better.
    There is no path to full-time employment.
    Too much work and not enough time to do the work properly or sometimes at all.
    Very rude, messy customers who often threaten to get you fired.
    Not enough power given to the associate to keep the thieves at bay.
    Department managers aren't given absolute power over their departments' employees' schedules, so in order to work out schedules, you have to jump through a lot of hoops. Good luck getting days off when you need them, and be prepared to stay part-time for years.

Advice to Management

Give part-time employees the same PTO as full-time employees. I get less PTO per hour and work less, so I get the worst of both worlds. I feel like I'm punished for being part-time and can't become full-time even if I want to be full-time.

Stop restricting overtime so much and give employees the chance to work multiple shifts whenever they want to.

Do work with the employees rather than mitigating tasks to them. Some employees find managers annoying less often when managers share the workload. Don't over work us.

9. "Good"

Former Employee - Deli Associate in Winchester, KY
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Winchester, KY

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was good. Above minimum wage. I liked most of my co workers and loved working in the deli. Great experience.

Cons

I did not care for most of the management team. A few were nice and I really liked working for them but others were not and expected you to do the work of two or three people. It was impossible to get everything done that they wanted done.

Advice to Management

Understand that if the employees are short handed or extremely busy with customers it isn't possible to get every thing done

10. "Not a terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for Walmart was the flexibility in my schedule. I began working in the evenings after my husband came home to avoid having to pay for childcare. I later went back to college and Walmart was very willing to work with my school schedule.

Cons

I am fortunate that I did not have to take Walmart's benefits. Now that the insurance laws have changed I would keep in mind that insurance is expensive and the benefits are not so great. They also have recently began to only hire people who have open availability which can be challenging if the prospective employee has any kind of life outside of Walmart. Another con of Walmart is communication between managers really needs to be improved.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to improve communication among themselves. Encourage associates to try and move up in their careers.

Showing 22 of 38,371 reviews