Walmart Reviews in Marietta, OH | Glassdoor

5.0
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • friendly good pay big ompany good benefits if you work hard you will do fine (in 1000 reviews)

• Wonderful company for work/life balance (in 231 reviews)

Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 627 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1008 reviews)

1. "Over night stocker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, OH

I have been working at Walmart part-time

Pros

Set schedule is nice to have

Cons

Unable to get full time quick

"If you don't put effort into this job, it's a great company to work for."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marietta, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marietta, OH

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I wish there was a 2.5 star rating.
    -Raises of at least .40 every year
    -Great co-workers
    -It's a decent job
    -Many different departments to give you a well rounded skill set for future jobs

Cons

-If you are actually a good worker you will be expected to do everything under the sun. If you don't do anything at work you'll be left alone and won't have to do much.
    -To get a higher raise than .40 you essentially have to be a suck up.
    -Half the time the employees are having to train management
    -There is never enough time in the day to get all the tasks done that are assigned to you
    -Almost zero chance for advancement, regardless what they tell you.

Advice to Management

Start showing the employees that give you 110% respect and make the ones who do nothing step it up and pull their weight. Otherwise all the good ones leave and you are left with those who were never made to do anything in the first place.

3. "very great."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, OH

Pros

great people to work with. many new possible positions. you can get store discounts. when you get off work, if there is anything you need, more than likely you can get it at the store after you clock out.

Cons

lots of competition. its well known that many customers look down on wal mart workers because its a big business and they don't always feel like you take them serious. so i heard.

Advice to Management

treat everyone equally. reward those who care and do a great job and do the best they can do day in and day out.

4. "Moving up or moving out?"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marietta, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marietta, OH

Pros

Wal-Mart tends to have open communication with thier associates. Even as someone on the bottom of the career ladder, I feel that I am always well informed of whats going on within the company. ( This is made a lot easier with use of the internet, and the Wal-Mart Wire)

Cons

A downside of Wal-Mart, as a sales associate, is that its very hard to feel satisfied with the job you have done that day. There is always more to do. Ofcourse this depends on the department you work in. I have also felt at times that there are to many bosses. You must answer to your dept manager, your assistant manager, your co-manager...and the list goes on. It often feels that you are pulled in to many directions at once, and that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

The biggest downfall for me has been what I see as a lack of opportunity for advancement. Wal-Mart promotes that they advance from within, which I have seen, however I have also seen people brought in from outside the company. And in my store people tend to stick around for years, even if its only a dept manager position. Dept manager is the first stepping stone if you want to move up the ladder, though these positions are rarely open.

Advice to Management

There is a quote by Sam Walton hanging in our breakroom that says listen to your associates, they are the greatest idea generators we have. (or something close to that) I think this company needs to take that statement to heart, and actually implement it.

The people who do the grunt work day after day, have many ideas to save the company time and money. This would greatly improve morale, at the very least. I think a lot of associates feel overlooked.

Showing 4 of 29,845 reviews